The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
No I wasn't on the floor :lol:

You people like to tut/curse I find

Basically yeah. Unless they're really scary looking... Then I'd clear the path for them lol

I tut/ regularly swear at people on the tube. Maybe 1-2 times a week I will end up having to inform someone that they are a ****ing idiot. Shoved a few people aside before too.

I am a teacher, tube passengers are my students.
Original post by Huskaris
See this is the thing, I find it impossible, when someone is slagging off London to tell if they are just jealous or if they are giving their genuine opinion.

People always slag off what they can't have. I personally hate Porsches and think my ford Ka is more reliable and I don't want a Porsche at all.

If someone offered me a Porsche, I think I might change my opinion though :wink:

Btw, London = Porsche, Birmingham = Reliant Robin

Well my opinion is genuine, all my unis are purposely out of London.

London is a nice place to shop in or visit, that's all
See this is the thing, I find it impossible, when someone is slagging off London to tell if they are just jealous or if they are giving their genuine opinion.

People always slag off what they can't have. I personally hate Porsches and think my ford Ka is more reliable and I don't want a Porsche at all.

If someone offered me a Porsche, I think I might change my opinion though :wink:

Btw, London = Porsche, Birmingham = Reliant Robin

That just shows your arrogance though. I like London, I do, but honestly I prefer Birmingham. I don't like how spread out the city is, I don't like the crappy areas.

Why do you think Birmingham is **** exactly? I mean if you hang around the pauper areas sure, but Edgbaston, Harborne, Sutton Coldfield, Solihul, to name a few, are lovely.

And I could easily live in London - like I said my dad works there. And I personally don't feel jealousy (it's an emotion I have never understoof very well) therefore you can trust what I'm saying is my actual opinion.

Just admit it, you can't afford it.

Save up, then you can join us. We won't judge :smile:
Original post by Sanctimonious

As already stated, this is no excuse for being rude and abrupt. If you think it is then that says more about your manners and sense of decorum than it actually does about the people who feel you're being ill mannered. Loads of people in life, not just in London, get stresses. Just because London is busy as a place it does not mean every person within London is busy or doing something. There is a massive difference between 'I need to take this call a minute' and 'move' or 'get out of my way' or just being pushed by some self centred ********* who is in a rush for whatever reason. Maybe they should have got out of bed ****ing earlier and then they wouldn't be in a rush would they?

:rolleyes:

Once again, these are not behaviours unique to London. As I said earlier on, I've encountered plenty of grumpy people in the city I currently live in.

Did you miss my point about Londoners not being able to rely on cars? When you have several trains to catch and the tube service is inevitably delayed again or the first couple of tubes which came were totally packed, of course you're going to be in a rush. Seems fairly common sense to me.

":rolleyes:"

Yes, easy to just blame the tourists isn't it? You must think that people outside of London never frequent there and are therefore incapable of distinguishing between foreigners with a foreign accent and a Londoner with a strong cockney accent. In fact, in most cases the tourists are actually more polite than Londoners. Bump into a tourist 'sorry' in a light voice yet if you bump into a cockney its 'for **** sake mate' and attitude as if you've just committed a war crime. Yes Londoners must get fed up with the rat race and 24/7 life and it must be stressful but its still no excuse to take your rudeness out on other people.

Yes, it is easy to blame them. They're slow and in the way. Whatever. Oxford students also complain about tourists too - are you going to have a go at them too? Or do you just reserve this for Londoners?

Also...the bit about Cockneys...genuinely don't know where you're going with that. I lived in the East End of London for three years and I never encountered such a reaction from the locals during those numerous occasions I was walking down the Whitechapel Road.

Though the bit about "cockneys" did make me laugh...are you one of those people that thinks all Londoners sound like Del Boy? More to the point, do you think Del Boy is a Cockney? I'm not trying to take the piss here, but half of what you're saying makes it sound like your only experiences of London are what other people have described to you or what you've seen on films.

Fair enough if you've had a couple of bad experiences but that could just as easily have happened in any urban area - it's not representative of the whole of the city.
I've only been once but I didn't like the atmosphere. I'd definitely dislike living there, I'd choose a cute little town in Cornwall any day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The rest of the country has road rage, whereas we in London have pedestrian rage.

This. I mean there are some nice areas to live in but on the whole, I don't think I'd like it.

New York, now, THAT is a city :daydreaming:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
That just shows your arrogance though. I like London, I do, but honestly I prefer Birmingham. I don't like how spread out the city is, I don't like the crappy areas.

Why do you think Birmingham is **** exactly? I mean if you hang around the pauper areas sure, but Edgbaston, Harborne, Sutton Coldfield, Solihul, to name a few, are lovely.

And I could easily live in London - like I said my dad works there. And I personally don't feel jealousy (it's an emotion I have never understoof very well) therefore you can trust what I'm saying is my actual opinion.

As someone who has been unfortunate enough to visit Birmingham I can only assume that you do feel jealousy, you just don't understand what it is.

This is why Londoners laugh at things like the "City of Culture" it should be London every time, I think Hull just won it for 2017 or something, Liverpool got it for Europe. We all know its London every time.

As for crap areas in London, I couldn't agree more, unfortunately we have a responsibility to house those who don't bother working in London, although hopefully in the near future we will be able to ship them out to zone 7-8 where they belong. Then London will be as good as it truly could be.
It really depends. I think service in Scotland is better, people in the service sector in London are very confident and good at their jobs (with the exception of the atrocious Western Europeans who don't know a word of English between them) but it can often be a fake 'service demeanour' rather than the genuine friendliness you get in Glasgow. But in terms of people in the street, people in London are definitely no worse than anywhere else in the urban UK.

London is a great place to live, the 24 hour shops, the constantly buzzing atmosphere, the variety, the diversity.... its easily the best place in the UK to live as long as you have a reasonable amount of money.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sanctimonious
Londoners in a nutshell. No time for anyone else. Too busy in their own self important lives.

:rolleyes:

If you're looking to be loved by every random that walks pass then good luck. I doubt any city in the world has that feature, never mind London.
Just admit it, you can't afford it.

Save up, then you can join us. We won't judge :smile:

:rofl: okay!

I'd choose Cardiff any day. Only reason I'd actually live in London is because they have higher pay

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
This. I mean there are some nice areas to live in but on the whole, I don't think I'd like it.

New York, now, THAT is a city :daydreaming:

NYC is another level. But they're also quite rude at times :lol:

Last time I went I was a wee child though... That was before 9/11!:eek:

But yeah, I'd prefer NYC to London
Original post by Democracy
I lived in London for most of my life. I now live elsewhere in England (still a moderately large city though) and honestly, I haven't noticed much of a difference where I am now compared to where I was before in London. The people who were grumpy in London (commuters, bus drivers, mums struggling with their kids etc) are still grumpy up here.

People hate on London because haters gonna hate.

Ive been to London nad its fun to visit, but i wouildnt live there for all the tea in china - but in fairness you couldnt get me to live anywhere in the UK.. But i did have the misfortune of living in Birmingham for ten years and THAT place is a cesspit and then some.

I'd choose Cardiff any day. Only reason I'd actually live in London is because they have higher pay

Cardiff?!??!?!!!? LOL!
(edited 9 years ago)
As someone who has been unfortunate enough to visit Birmingham I can only assume that you do feel jealousy, you just don't understand what it is.

This is why Londoners laugh at things like the "City of Culture" it should be London every time, I think Hull just won it for 2017 or something, Liverpool got it for Europe. We all know its London every time.

As for crap areas in London, I couldn't agree more, unfortunately we have a responsibility to house those who don't bother working in London, although hopefully in the near future we will be able to ship them out to zone 7-8 where they belong. Then London will be as good as it truly could be.

Why would I be jealous of something I could easily have? Why are you being so obtuse as to assume that your opinion is the same for everyone? I genuinely don't feel jealousy, if someone has something I'd like, I think "good for tyhem" and that's it. London though is not something I'd want.

The places I would prefer to live would be New York, Paris or Tokyo.

But as for the UK, I prefer Birmingham to London. Well done for ignoring my point about the nice areas by the way. I can only assume you've been to Erdington or some ****hole and are assuming that's all of Birmingham
Cardiff?!??!?!!!? LOL!

Cardiff, nice and relaxed

People are friendly

We have shops

We have the bay

London is a **** hole, although the Emirates... That makes up for it I guess
(edited 9 years ago)

Yeah but NYCers have at least a right to be rude, Londoners not so much :lol:
:rofl: okay! I'd choose Cardiff any day. Only reason I'd actually live in London is because they have higher pay NYC is another level. But they're also quite rude at times :lol: Last time I went I was a wee child though... That was before 9/11!:eek: But yeah, I'd prefer NYC to London
Yeah but NYCers have at least a right to be rude, Londoners not so much :lol:
Reply 98
I think this depends on your luck, sure you get bad and good people everywhere. So far I'm happy with London, there was almost always a nice gentelman to help me carry heavy luggages in the underground and some nice ladies helping me get on a right tube when I was taking my first steps in London.

I always get people picking my stuff if I happen to drop them and return it to me nicely (once I almost lost my phone, a nice young man returned it to me immediately), I'm polite to others and I always hear 'thank you' or 'please' and I actually had few random chit-chats with Londoners who were sharing their stories with me - these were lovely moments for me.

So yes, I find many decent people around and I also encounter some bad ones but overall, I'm very content.

That's an awful generalisation you guys have here.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's impossible to judge Londoners as one thing - 8 million people live here. I have relatives out of London who are so ridiculously stuck up about their village, as I probably am with London. You like your own place and you get on with it, maybe I am arrogant :smile:

Latest