The Student Room Group

Hair Shedding: Is this normal?

Hello all.

Just wanted a few peoples opinions regarding my hair shedding which I'm slightly concerned about.

A little back ground. I have thick curly easily tangled hair. I have no idea what curliness/thickness type. For the last year since starting uni i have gone natural in terms of hair products. i use a a sulfate free no poo shampoo once a month and i co wash three times a month. once a week i do an overnight deep conditioning with coconut oil. i detangle usually 3-5 times a week using a detangling hair masque. i use no other hair products like gels or hair sprays.

For as long as i can remember when ever i would detangle/comb my hair i would always shed a lot of hair but it never bothered me when i was younger and i though nothing of it. Lately however as i am taking more effort in looking after my hair I'm wondering if this is a normal amount to shed. Looking at pictures i see that my hair, although still thick, is not as thick as it used to be when in was 16/17 years of age. I understand that an average about 100 hairs are shed everyday and but i think i shed way more then that.

Sorry for the rambling

Ive attached a picture. This is what was left on my comb when i detangled my hair after an oil treatment

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Mr...
1. Pulling too hard
2. Alopecia

:eek: i pray not the second option.
I don't think i pull too hard. I use a wide tooth detangling comb and i take my time roughly 30/40 mins to detangle my whole head of hair.

thanks for you reply
Reply 2
Do you have a history of hair loss in your family?
How often do you brush your hair?

People with curly hair tend to notice more hairs coming out when washing/brushing because it isn't done as often - in most cases. The only time I brush/run my fingers through my hair is when I wash it, and I get loads of loose hairs then. Not as much as yours in the photo, granted, but my hair is shoulder length and not that thick anyway. Because of the curls/texture of your hair, the loose ones don't just fall out, they get tangled.
Reply 4
Original post by Lil08
Do you have a history of hair loss in your family?

Thanks for you reply.

My dads side of the family have all had a full head of thick hair well in to their old age. My dad and all his brothers and sisters are 50+ age and still have a good bush. My grandmother aged 80 had immaculate hair before she passed on.
My mum and her siblings however have all had thick frizzy curly hair in their young days but when they got older their hair thinned out considerably.

i think i have good hair genes in my family tbh.
Reply 5
Original post by katehlouise
How often do you brush your hair?

People with curly hair tend to notice more hairs coming out when washing/brushing because it isn't done as often - in most cases. The only time I brush/run my fingers through my hair is when I wash it, and I get loads of loose hairs then. Not as much as yours in the photo, granted, but my hair is shoulder length and not that thick anyway. Because of the curls/texture of your hair, the loose ones don't just fall out, they get tangled.

I haven't brushed my hair with a brush in over 5 years. I choose to comb it with a wide tooth comb. i do this roughly 3-5 times a week depending on hoe tangled it is and if it needs a good comb through. when i wash my hair i do a finger comb and i do get a few loose strands.

I guess it might be because i don't comb my hair daily thats why i get a lot more shedding when i do comb it.
Original post by ImAHobbit
I haven't brushed my hair with a brush in over 5 years. I choose to comb it with a wide tooth comb. i do this roughly 3-5 times a week depending on hoe tangled it is and if it needs a good comb through. when i wash my hair i do a finger comb and i do get a few loose strands.

I guess it might be because i don't comb my hair daily thats why i get a lot more shedding when i do comb it.

Yeah - the only thing I use is my fingers or my tangle teezer, but that's only in the shower. I reckon it could just be that reason. If your hair is super curly (mine isn't), more strands will get stuck.
In my experience it's completely normal, my hair just falls out a few strands at a time from the root even when I'm not brushing, but I'm not going bald I just have a lot of hair.
Reply 8
Original post by katehlouise
Yeah - the only thing I use is my fingers or my tangle teezer, but that's only in the shower. I reckon it could just be that reason. If your hair is super curly (mine isn't), more strands will get stuck.

Ive just googled tangle teezer and it looks really good. Never came across this before i might check it out. would you recommend this for thick long hair? in your opinion is it better than detangling with a wide tooth comb?
Original post by ImAHobbit
Ive just googled tangle teezer and it looks really good. Never came across this before i might check it out. would you recommend this for thick long hair? in your opinion is it better than detangling with a wide tooth comb?

I'm not sure to be honest - it seems to work pretty well and I know a lot of people do love them. Could be worth trying? I used a comb too and I can't say I notice a huge difference, but it does feel like less tugging is happening xD

Quick Reply

Latest