The Student Room Group

Student account

This probably seems like a dumb question, but needs to be confirmed

does your student finance and the money you pay to uni for accommodation and stuff go into your debit card account or student account? as I'm going to be setting up my student account soon
Reply 1
By debit account do you mean the bank account you have now? It can go into any account you want. When you applied for student finance you had to specify which account you wanted it to go into. If you want to change that you just ring them up and let them know.

However to get an interest free overdraft which usually comes with a student account your student finance will need to go into that account
Reply 2
Original post by Joshale
This probably seems like a dumb question, but needs to be confirmed

does your student finance and the money you pay to uni for accommodation and stuff go into your debit card account or student account? as I'm going to be setting up my student account soon

It will go into the account you gave during your application for student finance.

I am also setting up a student account, and I assume I can change the account details on the student finance website or by contacting them.
Reply 3
Original post by matesalka
By debit account do you mean the bank account you have now? It can go into any account you want. When you applied for student finance you had to specify which account you wanted it to go into. If you want to change that you just ring them up and let them know.

However to get an interest free overdraft which usually comes with a student account your student finance will need to go into that account

it'll be going into the debit card I signed up with, so to get interest free overdraft with my student account I will need to change the student finance to go into the student account one? and also the universities accommodation one?
Reply 4
bump
Why didn't you just change your existing account to a student one?

I took my paperwork to the bank when I started uni and showed them I was a student and they made my bank account a student one. When I left uni it changed back to a regular one.
I'm fairly certain you can choose the bank account it goes into. Obviously, it makes most sense to send it to the student account.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You get to choose which account the money goes into.

My account changes by itself into a student account on the 23rd of September (RBS)
Reply 8
Hi guys does anyone know how long before you get the student account after applying? Does it come after you start uni ? And if it's before that will you be able to dip into the overdraft strong away? Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by xxkisses
Hi guys does anyone know how long before you get the student account after applying? Does it come after you start uni ? And if it's before that will you be able to dip into the overdraft strong away? Thanks

Depends on the Bank. I am going with Co-op. Once the account is opened I need to deposit £300, and leave it there for around a week before my overdraft is activated.
I opened my HSBC student account yesterday and was given immediate access to my overdraft.
Reply 11
Original post by matesalka
I opened my HSBC student account yesterday and was given immediate access to my overdraft.

I opened an account with HSBC a week ago and I still have no access to mines. Are you able to lift out money from your overdraft from a bank machine? And if so, should the overdraft appear on your on-screen balance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending