The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Any biotechnology students?

just trying to track down any other biotechnology students, i cant seem to find anyone :redface:
Reply 1
I'm a first year biotechnology student :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm a first year student of biotechnology :smile:
Oh cool, are you living on campus?
Reply 4
i'm in second year biotech so if you have any questions, go for it :]
What's the course like, have you enjoyed it so far? And do you have any tips/advice?
Reply 6
the course itself, for the first year, is very easy. you'll be on campus and really close to the lecture halls, so rolling out of bed at 8:50 and 1:50 (for 9am and 2pm lectures respectively ) are absolutely no problem. - as an added bonus to this, you get to laugh at the vet students in lectures 9-5, and the fact they have to wake up at the crack of dawn when they're on rotation. pay attention though and go to the lectures, hell, its easy enough. make notes, independant learning and that... don't buy the textbooks, you can find them all on google, or in the library (not gonna lie i like the library, people tend to convene there wierdly more than at the bar).

the lab experience is good, but pay attention! you actually need the knowledge to do some of the coursework, especially in genetics and cell biology. also, eat before labs, as some of them are painfully long, and take place after lectures. don't lose your student card or you'll have hell getting into buildings. also, don't lose your meal card, or you can't get dinner (but you could potentially print a copy off and stick your face on it, obvs i didn't do this, that'd bypass the £5 replacement fee :wink:.

on the social side of things, all the usual advice, in freshers keep your door open (hinthint the door closures are dislodgable if you give them a sharp upward bang (theres a knack) and just say hello to everyone and have a little chat. doubtless youll lose contact with half of them but i met a lot of my friends for the year through freshers. also, the campus gets quite cliquey, and there is a bit of a mild rivalry between vets and biosci, so be ready for some 'banter' (essentially they have to work a hell of a lot harder, for longer hours, and resent biosci for the fact they have a 'normal' uni timetable, and that our first year doesn't matter) . also, join some societies, as i got bored last year as there isnt a great deal to do on SB if you aren't part of a society. also, if its anything like last year, the accomadation will be quite empty, so if you despise your flatmates, its pretty easy to move.

also to keep the outside door to the flats on the latch, pull down the handle, then push up a tiny little silver catch. (works in quite a few places but again, its a knack).don't pull the freezer draws too hard or they break, and go out every night of freshers, it'll never be as easy to get out again.

D&G are the taxi company to use, but to save money on cabs, get the last hopper out to nottingham on nights out. order tesco online to deliver, as unless you have a car there are no reasonable shops nearby. also, if you have my timetable from last year, you'll get fridays off.

badly written i know, but it was a bit of a train of thought :P

any more questions? :]
How did you actually study revise? I've been to lectures but have no idea what's relevant, or what/how much do to in my own time ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm so glad that not many people apply for biotech

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending