The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1860
Original post by S-Hunter
I want my conditional offer!!!!!! One week waiting for BoGS.................... :frown:

Does anyone know whether the conditional offer defines a date by which the student must graduate from the current university?

It doesn't. In this respect, cautionary tale from someone here last year or the year before - only got their final results a week or two after they had started at Cam, missed their offer, and got chucked off the course...
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 1861
Original post by Taurus23
Interview? wow! No interview or any such action yet in my life though.
All the best to you. I hope you get through.

A slight update: I have emailed the administrator regarding the status of my application, as, after not hearing back for a long time and checking my account and email every single hour, I was feeling more and more pessimistic about the outcome. I was told that the decision has been made and it will be passed to the Student Regisrty after confirmation. My camsis status was updated to Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies the same day :adore:. Interestingly, it has not been changed to "with the Degree Committee" even though, the application has passed that stage. So, it might sometimes really be worth sending an email :yes:
Original post by lesya
A slight update: I have emailed the administrator regarding the status of my application, as, after not hearing back for a long time and checking my account and email every single hour, I was feeling more and more pessimistic about the outcome. I was told that the decision has been made and it will be passed to the Student Regisrty after confirmation. My camsis status was updated to Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies the same day :adore:. Interestingly, it has not been changed to "with the Degree Committee" even though, the application has passed that stage. So, it might sometimes really be worth sending an email :yes:

Congratulations. This is wonderful. Could you tell me within how many days did they reply to your email?
Reply 1863
Congratulations. This is wonderful. Could you tell me within how many days did they reply to your email?

Thank you! Trying not to get excited until the BOGS decision though.
Fingers crossed for you to hear good news in the nearest future :console:
The department was really quick, and it only took a couple of hours to get a reply.
Original post by sj27
It doesn't. In this respect, cautionary tale from someone here last year or the year before - only got their final results a week or two after they had started at Cam, missed their offer, and got chucked off the course...

Is this because I should meet the grade requirement and thus I should get all my grades before the course starts? Does it matter how much earlier should I get my grades, and in generall, does it matter how much earlier should I meet the conditions (a day, a week, a month, etc)?

I am not good with documents and those kind o processes, so I need to start preparing earlier, so that I do not drop out of the course.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by S-Hunter
Is this because I should meet the grade requirement and thus I should get all my grades before the course starts? Does it matter how much earlier should I get my grades, and in generall, does it matter how much earlier should I meet the conditions (a day, a week, a month, etc)?

I am not good with documents and those kind o processes, so I need to start preparing earlier, so that I do not drop out of the course.

You would let them know (by uploading the evidence) as soon as you've met all the conditions - even if it's only one day before you start at Cambridge that would probably be fine. If things are getting tight though, you should keep in contact with BoGS to let them know what is happening and that you are still on track to meet the conditions. They will advise you.

One thing that can be tricky with conditional offers is actually obtaining the official transcript, especially if your current university is a bit slow with this. BoGS may accept alternative evidence in this case - for example a letter from your current course director stating that 'S-Hunter has completed all elements of their degree, submitted all assignments, sat all exams, and is predicted to obtain at least a 2.1' Or whatever the requirements are.

When you've got your official offer we might be able to give more specific advice - fingers crossed it comes through soon.
Hi guys, received offer for Mphil in Architecture and Urban Design! (: super excited! wondering anyone applying for /accept into this degree?
Reply 1867
Original post by mr37201
Hi guys, received offer for Mphil in Architecture and Urban Design! (: super excited! wondering anyone applying for /accept into this degree?

Still 'under consideration by department'... :frown: When did you have your interview?
Original post by jaryng
Still 'under consideration by department'... :frown: When did you have your interview?

that was the 21st January. good luck over there!
Reply 1869
Original post by mr37201
that was the 21st January. good luck over there!

Ah! Mine was two weeks ago. Anyway - congratulations!
Finally had my conditional offer through from the Department of Engineering for a PhD. Was surprised they only asked for a 2:1. Now seeking college membership; how long does this tend to take?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any PhD Law applicant still stuck on "under consideration by degree committee"? Any rejections? I'm seriously considering emailing them...got partial funding offered from Warwick yesterday and I have to let them know next week...all dependent on what Cambridge decides though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lesya
Thank you! Trying not to get excited until the BOGS decision though.
Fingers crossed for you to hear good news in the nearest future :console:
The department was really quick, and it only took a couple of hours to get a reply.

That was very very quick. But I think, they are too busy to update CAMSIS then. The fact that you were interviewed means you have already crossed the degree committee state. And now you will get through. Which course? And which colleges have you chosen as your preferences?
BTW I love that smiley!
Reply 1873
Got an offer about a month ago from Clare College/ the LMB for a Bio Sci PhD, anybody else going to Clare? (or the LMB?)
Original post by CTe
Got an offer about a month ago from Clare College/ the LMB for a Bio Sci PhD, anybody else going to Clare? (or the LMB?)

Offer from Clare for the MPhil in machine learning speech and language tech. Congrats on the offer :smile:
Reply 1875
That was very very quick. But I think, they are too busy to update CAMSIS then. The fact that you were interviewed means you have already crossed the degree committee state. And now you will get through. Which course? And which colleges have you chosen as your preferences?
BTW I love that smiley!

Yes, I also believe they must be busy at the moment.
Actually, as I was explained, the recommendations after the interview along with the documents, are then considered by the admissions panel, and their comments are afterwards passed to the degree committee for further review. So, in my case, interview seems to have been the first step in a chain of consideration stages. But I believe, in your case, they might have still started the review process as there have been a number of cases in the thread when an offer came without prior interview.
That is Computer Science, PhD. And the colleges are Trinity and Trinity Hall, both of which are too popular to get in that late, I am afraid. What about you?
Original post by CTe

MPhil Econ research here. Congrats and see you there!
Original post by Jantaculum
You would let them know (by uploading the evidence) as soon as you've met all the conditions - even if it's only one day before you start at Cambridge that would probably be fine. If things are getting tight though, you should keep in contact with BoGS to let them know what is happening and that you are still on track to meet the conditions. They will advise you.

One thing that can be tricky with conditional offers is actually obtaining the official transcript, especially if your current university is a bit slow with this. BoGS may accept alternative evidence in this case - for example a letter from your current course director stating that 'S-Hunter has completed all elements of their degree, submitted all assignments, sat all exams, and is predicted to obtain at least a 2.1' Or whatever the requirements are.

When you've got your official offer we might be able to give more specific advice - fingers crossed it comes through soon.

Thank you very much for the information! I just wanted to know whether there is some sort of "flexibility" on the condition's deadlines, in case something goes wrong. So far in my life, everything worked on the last minute and I will try to meet the conditions as soon as possible. But there is always a possibility that something might be a little bit late.

Anyway, I will ask the BoGS myself when I get my conditional offer (hope this will happen soon), and I will keep in touch with them through the whole process. Thank you again!
Original post by lesya
Yes, I also believe they must be busy at the moment.
Actually, as I was explained, the recommendations after the interview along with the documents, are then considered by the admissions panel, and their comments are afterwards passed to the degree committee for further review. So, in my case, interview seems to have been the first step in a chain of consideration stages. But I believe, in your case, they might have still started the review process as there have been a number of cases in the thread when an offer came without prior interview.
That is Computer Science, PhD. And the colleges are Trinity and Trinity Hall, both of which are too popular to get in that late, I am afraid. What about you?

I have applied for M.Phil in Social Anthropology. I am very nervous because I'm an international student and I'm from a Mass Media and Literature educational background (not anthropology or sociology). Colleges- Queens and St.Johns. All the very best. May you get placed in the college of your choice.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi all. I am posting on behalf of my boyfriend who doesn't have an account here. He is Colombian and got a conditional offer (2:1) for MPhil Biological science (Pharmacology) and is predicted a First from Derby university online. Any others from the Pharmacology dept around?

Now we anxiously wait for the results of the Gates scholarship as he cannot attend without it.

I see that some people have already heard about Gates, please keep your acceptances/rejections for the scholarship coming! Any news is valuable at this time! :smile:

Marie

Latest

Trending

Trending