The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
I don't think it's wrong, and I wouldn't judge anyone for saying it.

Some people just have an idea in their head of having the perfect life (and take this to mean having a perfect house, perfect partner, perfect relationship, perfect chilren, etc..)

If they think think it might cause issues if their child is gay, because they might get bulled at school or something (and parents can do nothing to stop this) then why wouldn't they they be a little upset?

It's only an issue if they treat the child badly or blame them because they're gay.

this!
Reply 181
Original post by serebro
That means you have an irrational fear of gay people then. You are a homophobe. Denying it only makes you a bigger hypocrite. The interesting thing is that you haven't said homophobia is wrong either.

By the way, why have you changed your gender?

No because I would be upset if they did so it's not an irrational fear. So much ignorance... Because I don't think it is but you cant grasp that I have reasons for being upset...
Original post by Meduza
Because there'd be less chances to find someone right for you...so you'd be almost forced sometimes to be in unhappy relationships, ffs
But IVF/adoption is an additional cost to bringing them up and that's what you so magically fail to understand...so no im not being ignorant.
Rudeness - coming from you I'll take it as a compliment.
Mature, real mature.

Iggy has a very clear point though, any child costs you to raise it. It isn't something to get upset over (like you originally say).

Besides, you get infertile men and women. IVF/adoption is inclusive of straight people as much as gay people.

You got added to a hater's list. :tongue:
Original post by Meduza
everyone who disagrees with you is a troll - damn how smart.

You keep saying "learn to read" "read my post properly" blah blah blah, but did I say that? No, you're clearly a troll because you're just replying to posts that don't prove you wrong, and you're only replying with answers to try and wind people up. Theres no way that someone can be this idiotic.

I'm not responding to any more of your homophobic posts, and you'll only reply to this one like "learn to read" "stop being deluded" "how ironic" or some reply like that which tries to insult me because you're not clever enough to form a coherent argument to give valid reason why you're not a homophobe or in your words "why you'd be disappointed if your child was gay".
I don't necessarily think it's 'wrong' but I do think it's a bit stupid if it's because of the whole grandchildren reason. I'm straight and I'm pretty sure I don't want to have children in the future, whereas a gay person may adopt or have biological children through other means. Your child being straight does not guarantee grandchildren, likewise your child being gay does not take away the possibility of having grandchildren.
Nothing wrong at all, you want the best for your children and you want them to have kids too and be healthy etc. nothing wrong wanting a normal child.
Reply 186
Original post by SweetNothing
You keep saying "learn to read" "read my post properly" blah blah blah, but did I say that? No, you're clearly a troll because you're just replying to posts that don't prove you wrong, and you're only replying with answers to try and wind people up. Theres no way that someone can be this idiotic.

I'm not responding to any more of your homophobic posts, and you'll only reply to this one like "learn to read" "stop being deluded" "how ironic" or some reply like that which tries to insult me because you're not clever enough to form a coherent argument to give valid reason why you're not a homophobe or in your words "why you'd be disappointed if your child was gay".

Yeah I'm gonna get so upset now that you wont reply :rolleyes:
Says you who never formed a proper argument and just said something without giving reasons for it.
Original post by Meduza
No because I would be upset if they did so it's not an irrational fear. So much ignorance... Because I don't think it is but you cant grasp that I have reasons for being upset...

The 'ignorance' excuse only works so many times Meduza. :rolleyes:

"No because I would be upset if they did so it's not an irrational fear."

^ This makes no sense. You'd be upset if your child was gay, because your child is gay? That is really homophobic. It is an irrational fear as there is no valid reason to be upset with your child for being the person, you made them to be.

Essentially, it would be your own fault if your child was gay.

And you didn't answer my question... why have you changed your gender?
You were female earlier today now male. So unless you've undertaken a huge sex change, you're evidently trolling.
:rolleyes:

Original post by serebro

^ This makes no sense. You'd be upset if your child was gay, because your child is gay? That is really homophobic. It is an irrational fear as there is no valid reason to be upset with your child for being the person, you made them to be.

You were female earlier today now male. So unless you've undertaken a huge sex change, you're evidently trolling.

They won't answer your question because they don't like admitting they're wrong :wink:
Original post by Meduza
This whole propaganda has gone too far now, imo. Now you can't even say you'd be upset if your child was gay without getting verbal abuse. It's like you're getting battered worse than a rapist/killer for just expressing your opinion when you say you hope your child never borns gay. I am not talking about kicking them out of the house or whatever but just simply be disappointed whilst still loving them and accepting them as your children. Wouldn't disappointment be most people's initial reaction?

It would be same for me if my child went to some really bad uni or was pretty unattractive - you can't just brush off the initial disappointment.

Did anyone else notice this?

Ironic thing is responses in this thread prove my point precisely. Some people couldn't even try harder with their non-sense.

I agree with you but, "unattractive" lmao says more about you and your genetics.:tongue:
Original post by SweetNothing
They won't answer your question because they don't like admitting they're wrong :wink:

I think you're right. :rolleyes:

Something about this poster is certainly not right.
Reply 191
Original post by serebro

So youre connecting one-time gender change with trolling?
Ignorance works as many times as the amount of ignorant posts being made, FYI.
I said exactly why I'd be upset so either read that or form a better argument - right now I still remain reasonable as to why I'd be upset.
Yes, you could say it's my fault but doesn't change the fact as to how I'd feel.
Reply 192
Original post by Darkwarrior23
I agree with you but, "unattractive" lmao says more about you and your genetics.:tongue:

hahaha oh no I didn't say they would be :wink: I just gave a general example, if they would :wink:
but thanks, now I feel hideous :wink:
Original post by Meduza
Because there'd be less chances to find someone right for you...so you'd be almost forced sometimes to be in unhappy relationships, ffs
But IVF/adoption is an additional cost to bringing them up and that's what you so magically fail to understand...so no im not being ignorant.
Rudeness - coming from you I'll take it as a compliment.

Mature, real mature.

Gay people have achieved the goal of having biological children for decades now, and not with the help of IVF. There is such a thing as simply having sex with a willing surrogate to achieve pregnancy, or alternatively, the 'turkey baster' method.
Original post by Meduza
Original post by TenOfThem
These are similar to being gay?

It's not a choice being born ugly or stupid, is it?

This is what is wrong with this thread.
Please be aware that it's not a choice being born intelligent or ideally formed, either.
Which of these things to you think is similar to being gay?

I can understand disappointment of a parent/other significant figure. After all, people grow up discovering ideals of what they would like to be - and hence their own children as well. It is a view instilled by the society you grow up in.

However, to be disappointed in 'someone being stupid' is different, perhaps in a more definite way. At least being ugly is an opinion...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Meduza
This whole propaganda has gone too far now, imo. Now you can't even say you'd be upset if your child was gay without getting verbal abuse. It's like you're getting battered worse than a rapist/killer for just expressing your opinion when you say you hope your child never borns gay. I am not talking about kicking them out of the house or whatever but just simply be disappointed whilst still loving them and accepting them as your children. Wouldn't disappointment be most people's initial reaction?

It would be same for me if my child went to some really bad uni or was pretty unattractive - you can't just brush off the initial disappointment.

Did anyone else notice this?

Ironic thing is responses in this thread prove my point precisely. Some people couldn't even try harder with their non-sense.

What do you possibly expect to get out of this thread?
I'm not involving myself with the whole "Is being Gay right?" discussion.
But, for me the important point is how powerless parents in the 21st century west have become in making decisions or even announcing their opinion about their children. It is as if the children are to be born and only have a genetic connection with the parents and nothing else. IMO, parents should have the power to make certain decisions for their children and direct them to a certain path. If the parents feel being gay is 'wrong' for their children they should be allowed to feel that way.
Reply 197
Original post by Mr. Nice Guy
What do you possibly expect to get out of this thread?

I already got out exactly what I expected. My initial post proves it.
Original post by Meduza
So youre connecting one-time gender change with trolling?
Ignorance works as many times as the amount of ignorant posts being made, FYI.
I said exactly why I'd be upset so either read that or form a better argument - right now I still remain reasonable as to why I'd be upset.
Yes, you could say it's my fault but doesn't change the fact as to how I'd feel.

So you admit you're giving false information about yourself? I may have speak to the mods about you. The tone in your responses seem aggressive or patronising. Trolling is a serious problem on this forum. It causes a lot of disruption.

The thing is that, the ignorance you are saying other people are showing, is actually what you're giving to yourself. You're coming out with weak points, none of which are really substantial. When people tackle them and prove that these points are invalid, you get defensive and call them ignorant.

You should also be reminded that the title of your thread is directed to people other than yourself. Therefore, whether you think it's fine to be upset if your own child is gay has no significance in your argument and title. You would have been better off in your points if you named your title:

Why is it wrong to say I'd be upset if my child was gay?

^ This would have made your points valid.

Another thing you should know is that the chat forum is probably not the best place to debate an issue. You'd be better off putting this in something like the society thread.
Reply 199
Original post by ThePersian
I'm not involving myself with the whole "Is being Gay right?" discussion.
But, for me the important point is how powerless parents in the 21st century west have become in making decisions or even announcing their opinion about their children. It is as if the children are to be born and only have a genetic connection with the parents and nothing else. IMO, parents should have the power to make certain decisions for their children and direct them to a certain path. If the parents feel being gay is 'wrong' for their children they should be allowed to feel that way.

This! Exactly why I said people also have children as they want them to grow up in the way the parents would like to see them, ideally.
Like I'm lying :rolleyes: according to ignorant responses...

Latest