The Student Room Group

My girlfriend got a lot of money from student finance. I'm annoyed. Am i wrong?

kay right. This is gonna paint me as a ******* ******* but I need to know if I'm really in the wrong here.

She has many things that would cause her to get so much so I'm not really too fussed. Her finance covers all of her rent, and then some. Mine doesn't.

I have to work hundreds of hours to be able to afford university. During the summer it's 6 days a week, constant 12 hour shifts just to afford living and even then I'm on about £75 per week. My maintenance loan does not cover my rent so I'm working EVEN MORE. And still, with all of this, she wants me to spend all my time with her.

She has no hobbies. She does not spend much time with her friends and she wants me to spend all of my free time talking to her. Even while at work she's messaging me. She doesn't understand how exhausted I get and how snappy I get. When she's upset, she wants to spend time with people and when I'm upset I want to be left alone. On top of this, my household is abusive as hell, so that's less time. She's never had a job and she has no clue what it's like. Her reaction to me telling her about my job is asking if I think she's lazy and saying things like 'I can't handle working while at university'. NEITHER CAN I. I'd LOVE to not have to work, but I HAVE TO. She doesn't understand how ******* annoying it is to hear that.

And now, with her not HAVING to work and getting so much money, she's going to understand my troubles even less. I'm really kind of annoyed that she got so much and I almost wish she didn't so she'd be able to see things through my eyes for once and actually understand. It's hard to comfort her when she talks about how worried she is about money when she's literally now rich as **** and set for her entire year. Am I the ******* for these feelings? How can I move past this?? It feels so spiteful to feel like this but with me constantly comforting her for her problems with money it feels so trivial now. You got 8.5k through student finance and MORE from other disability allowances while I got barely even half of that and have to work to the point I throw up, stop crying and get on with it. I just hoped that she would get a job and get a dose of reality you know?

I'm tired, I don't want to spend all my time with you. you'd be less bored if you had hobbies?
Reply 1
It sounds like a bit of a mean spirited rant. Be happy for her that she has some financial security
(edited 1 month ago)
She's not to blame for the system student finance puts in place that determines it, its understandable to be frustrated but I think you are frustrated at the wrong person whose fault your situation isn't.
Original post by Anonymous #1
kay right. This is gonna paint me as a ******* ******* but I need to know if I'm really in the wrong here.
She has many things that would cause her to get so much so I'm not really too fussed. Her finance covers all of her rent, and then some. Mine doesn't.
I have to work hundreds of hours to be able to afford university. During the summer it's 6 days a week, constant 12 hour shifts just to afford living and even then I'm on about £75 per week. My maintenance loan does not cover my rent so I'm working EVEN MORE. And still, with all of this, she wants me to spend all my time with her.
She has no hobbies. She does not spend much time with her friends and she wants me to spend all of my free time talking to her. Even while at work she's messaging me. She doesn't understand how exhausted I get and how snappy I get. When she's upset, she wants to spend time with people and when I'm upset I want to be left alone. On top of this, my household is abusive as hell, so that's less time. She's never had a job and she has no clue what it's like. Her reaction to me telling her about my job is asking if I think she's lazy and saying things like 'I can't handle working while at university'. NEITHER CAN I. I'd LOVE to not have to work, but I HAVE TO. She doesn't understand how ******* annoying it is to hear that.
And now, with her not HAVING to work and getting so much money, she's going to understand my troubles even less. I'm really kind of annoyed that she got so much and I almost wish she didn't so she'd be able to see things through my eyes for once and actually understand. It's hard to comfort her when she talks about how worried she is about money when she's literally now rich as **** and set for her entire year. Am I the ******* for these feelings? How can I move past this?? It feels so spiteful to feel like this but with me constantly comforting her for her problems with money it feels so trivial now. You got 8.5k through student finance and MORE from other disability allowances while I got barely even half of that and have to work to the point I throw up, stop crying and get on with it. I just hoped that she would get a job and get a dose of reality you know?
I'm tired, I don't want to spend all my time with you. you'd be less bored if you had hobbies?

So why aren't your parents making up the difference like they are supposed to. It's not your girlfriends fault and tbh you don't come out of this rant well.
that is not her fault , you are just jealous that she is rich. there are lots of wealthy people in this world, you can't let everyone to feel your struggle, if you want to blame someone then blame that you are born in a not so wealth family. (that is what my parents always said anyways )
Reply 5
Yes, you're wrong to be annoyed. And she has a medical condition to cope with as well that gets her a disability allowance? Even less reason.

PS. £75 a week for 72 hours work? Change jobs.
You need to sort your own life out. She may not be being fully understanding of your terrible sounding position, but she's also not responsible for your position and can't be blamed for not wanting to emulate you here.

If you're working 70+ hour weeks and broke you're either doing something badly wrong or need to elaborate? Also you say your home life is abusive but you also pay rent for your own space?

Have you made use of all extra funding available, bursaries, discretionary funding etc? I did and £2000 odd year of discretionary funding was a game changed for me.

This is in summary, an emotion called jealousy. Don’t be angry at her for being more financially stable. Yes, you’re very wrong, but at least your feelings are your feelings and you’re not exerting them out on her. I hope the best for your situation OP
You seem exhausted, worn out and worked to the bone. I get it.

However, the anger you have ought to be directed at the broken system that is student finance, not your girlfriend. I truly can comprehend your frustration, but she is not the one causing your situation. You're jealous, and that's understandable, I think most people would be. She may be saying things which are upsetting you, and would perhaps upset a lot of people - such as not being able to work while at university, and you need to communicate this with her.

Not when you're already annoyed. You need to do it when you're calm and in a non-blaming, non confrontational way. A simple, "hey, when you say xyz it makes be feel like abc. I know you're trying to help but I would prefer in the future you didn't say that."

I somewhat get your situation, not to the same extent. I go to uni full-time and work full-time on breaks. I work 20+ hour weeks during term on top of a content-heavy course. My partner wants to spend all of his free-time with me, and whilst I appreciate it so much, I don't have that time. Or I find myself giving in and then getting behind on university work.

My partner does a degree-apprenticeship so he works from home 4 days a week and goes to uni for one. All of his tuition is covered and he gets 21k+ a year from his company. I find myself jealous of him often, but I know that's not his fault, and I'd never take it out on him. He has said things in the past which upset me, like suggesting I just work less if I have no time or to schedule my academic work better so I have more time to spend with him without getting behind.

I told him how saying these things made me feel. I can't work less or I won't have money. I can't schedule my academic work better because I'm entirely burnt out from work and cannot do any academic work on the same days I have paid work. He understood immediately. He was very apologetic and we have set up boundaries which make it work. We spend one day and night together by default, and if I have all of my work completed, then we can hangout more. He also has never said the aforementioned things since I told him how it made me feel.

Setting up a boundary like this with your girlfriend may help you.

I get you're tired. But it's not her fault. Communicating can and will do wonders if you're both willing to be serious about it.
Original post by Anonymous #4
You seem exhausted, worn out and worked to the bone. I get it.
However, the anger you have ought to be directed at the broken system that is student finance, not your girlfriend. I truly can comprehend your frustration, but she is not the one causing your situation. You're jealous, and that's understandable, I think most people would be. She may be saying things which are upsetting you, and would perhaps upset a lot of people - such as not being able to work while at university, and you need to communicate this with her.
Not when you're already annoyed. You need to do it when you're calm and in a non-blaming, non confrontational way. A simple, "hey, when you say xyz it makes be feel like abc. I know you're trying to help but I would prefer in the future you didn't say that."
I somewhat get your situation, not to the same extent. I go to uni full-time and work full-time on breaks. I work 20+ hour weeks during term on top of a content-heavy course. My partner wants to spend all of his free-time with me, and whilst I appreciate it so much, I don't have that time. Or I find myself giving in and then getting behind on university work.
My partner does a degree-apprenticeship so he works from home 4 days a week and goes to uni for one. All of his tuition is covered and he gets 21k+ a year from his company. I find myself jealous of him often, but I know that's not his fault, and I'd never take it out on him. He has said things in the past which upset me, like suggesting I just work less if I have no time or to schedule my academic work better so I have more time to spend with him without getting behind.
I told him how saying these things made me feel. I can't work less or I won't have money. I can't schedule my academic work better because I'm entirely burnt out from work and cannot do any academic work on the same days I have paid work. He understood immediately. He was very apologetic and we have set up boundaries which make it work. We spend one day and night together by default, and if I have all of my work completed, then we can hangout more. He also has never said the aforementioned things since I told him how it made me feel.
Setting up a boundary like this with your girlfriend may help you.
I get you're tired. But it's not her fault. Communicating can and will do wonders if you're both willing to be serious about it.

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending