The Student Room Group

Freshers 2014 is what I’m talking about!

Scroll to see replies

I really enjoy reading your blog so I hope you stay motivated to keep it up throughout the year haha. I have received an offer at Loughborough and will most likely firm it. Your blog is already giving me a very good idea of what to expect. Keep up the good job!
Reply 21
Awww thank you, I will keep this going for students like you I truly know how important this insight is because I was in your position last year :smile:

Original post by fbrep2012
I really enjoy reading your blog so I hope you stay motivated to keep it up throughout the year haha. I have received an offer at Loughborough and will most likely firm it. Your blog is already giving me a very good idea of what to expect. Keep up the good job!
Reply 22
10th November 16th November
This week has truly been a mix of emotions; I have noticed just how the lack of sleep is affecting me, it’s making me zone out in lectures and stress way more. Anyways, the economics online test didn’t go as well as I wanted; I revised all throughout the week as well as twelve hours on the Saturday before the Monday exam and I managed to get 53% which disappointment me as I believe I could of got at least a 60% if I didn’t freak out every two minutes because my frazzled brain couldn’t think quickly. However, what’s even more annoying is the fact that I got 53% with hard work and others cheated getting as high as 80% by using google…. It feels like the world is unjust at the moment. However, now I am just focusing on seeing where I went wrong and thinking about the exam and the marks I get within the exam I believe should make up for it. Additionally, this coming Monday I am tasked with handing in another piece of coursework Building Environmental Science which was quite interesting; the lighting aspect of the coursework was certainly challenging but I managed to get through the answers and give what I believe was my all within the report regarding heat losses and light.
Haha, on Friday I found out the social was not on that Friday but the coming one. Therefore, I just went out with flat mates and decided to loosen up a bit in terms of alcohol consumption. Additionally, my flat mate typically drank too much to drink and ended up collapsing in the garden of my halls common room; whereby, she had to be carried back by one of our neighbors annnnd on arrival she threw up with her head in our flat’s very own sick bucket getting vomit in her hair to which I had to touch and band….ewww, whilst she too started vomiting on herself and appeared to be extremely in toxicated. Whilst, I was too afraid she would choke on her vomit as she kept collapsing and vomiting on her side which appeared to be obstructing her breathing, but like the good friend I am I corrected her positon. I am really worried about her though; when we started university she wasn’t like this but a number of events have changed her. I was advised to talk to her about the alcohol because I truly feel she is endangering herself if I and others she knew weren’t there.
Oh yess, I forgot to say I managed to purchase two text books to supplement my studies one for structural design ‘basic structures’ and one for economics economics’ by Stephen Ison, who turns out to be the course lecturer.
Sorry I don’t have much exciting stuff going on haha…. I hope my life takes a positive dramatic turn.
Love and hugs for the messages, reading your comments do keep me going.

Adio’s Amigo’s
Reply 23
This is actually amazing!!!
Reply 24
Original post by Sosa
This is actually amazing!!!

Aww thank you :smile: tell me if you'd like me to mention anything additionally....
Reply 25
Coincidentally I applied to loughborough today for the exact same course, did you have an interview during your application after they sent you an offer?
Reply 26
Original post by Sosa
Coincidentally I applied to loughborough today for the exact same course, did you have an interview during your application after they sent you an offer?

If i remember correctly I obtained the interview then I was given an offer :smile:, don't fret all you need to show is your enthusiasm for the construction industry and you'll be fine :smile:, also be prepared to work frikkin hard :smile:
Reply 27
17th November to 23th November

Cannot believe it I’ve been here in L’boro for three months already I feel like I’ve been here forever. Well, this week was tiring I spent the whole week predominantly attending group meetings regarding my BIM coursework; I am so surprised at the fact everyone has decided to rally together one week before the deadline… its ridiculous how much I and my ‘best-friend’ on the course have done. To be explicit, we have spent three hours every three days in the library getting the project done. Whilst, now we have to look to the creation of the report stating what we’ve done; this week surprisingly I haven’t been as stressed which is great I’ve been attending church more and I feel my prayers have been answered ever so slightly. Anyways, I’ve got three pieces of coursework to do two of which are team based and one a 3,000 word report in which I’m discussing ‘Effective Management of the project workforce’ which I am thoroughly excited about. Oh yes, this week I decided to ditch the social which I was looking forward to attending and I didn’t even go to in the end, for in house drinking and jenga… LOL well I didn’t play I watched the others… I was too afraid I’d get the ‘Eat a clove of Garlic!’ block …ewww. Anyways, the funny thing was I had research I was meant to be doing, every minute I kept stating I need to do my work, but then kept on getting more drinks LOL, I truly couldn’t be bothered this week. This week I’ve been procrastinating so much but I’ve realized I’ve worried less because I’ve learned acknowledge it’ll be done when its done. Also, I should tell you that I have a Speech assessment on Wednesday which should help me in terms of founding out how I can better treat my fast speech because I’ll be able to acknowledge the reason if there is one for it. Overall, I didn’t go out this week only drank inside and both times they were fun; I had two shots of gin on Tuesday and my head was spinning so much I couldn’t even finish my research. While, Saturday was a lot of fun, my HF next door neighbours came over and one of them decided to use our shower because they claimed to be sweating so much because they were drunk, to which they requested use of my flat mates towel and used it.

Alright, I think its time for me to have an early night as I have been sacrificing sleep for my coursework items.

See you my lovelies next week :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 28
24th November 30th November
Sorry guys I’m going to have to keep this short and sweet, I haven’t had much sleep in days.
This week was pretty random, I was tasked with writing a whole report by myself for my BIM project as my stupid team members minus one, were lazy and did not want to contribute, I stayed up at 1am finishing that thing off and all they would give me is the bare minimum. Thank God for the peer assessment though it means that I and my fellow team mate who did all the work will get the grade. I have noticed however that since arriving at university my confidence has decreased dramatically; I keep second guessing myself although I know something or I don’t even speak in lectures when questions are asked. I know next year I will feel better once the exams are over in Janurary, I’ve also been telling myself I’ll work less in Semester 2 as I basically have no social life except Friday’s and I know I do way to much work but it’s the fact that I feel as though I’ll fall behind if I don’t do any, which is extremely annoying. Also, I keep spending my Friday nights getting ready to go out, getting all done up and then learning my light-weight flatmate is drunk again and having to look after her, lol, but I didn’t mind it this time as the whole flat was there with me and we had an ol’ little bonding session going on.

Alright folks, that’s it from me sorry if this sounds really rushed but I’ll be honest it its…. Goodnight sleep tight, don’t let the bed bugs bite.

Your one and onnnnnnly Quirky bun
:smile:
Reply 29
Hi everyone,

Great to be back and on time; this week has been the most stressful of uni so far. This week I had to pull my first all nighter from 4pm to 3am. The story begins…. You see the BIM report I thought I had finished I and my team showed the studio tutor who said we needed more “engineering” language which he felt the previous team members did in their mess of paragraphs, anyways the tutor stated that the work would make the grade of our team better and we could get an A….so I enlisted one of my lazy team members to rewrite the paragraphs of the report and make it sound report worthy, I like how he chips in now after he finds out we could get an A with more input..lazy sod. Anyways me and my group had to go to the Library to do our work in quiet and then moved to the Design studio to print everything out because this is the only place which has Revit which is the BIM software. Anyways, moral of the story is ask for advise before the deadline of a project is do and force your team members to do work and not just do it for them because I truly needed their input.
Anyways, this week I got my CV and Cover letter coursework back and got a B+ which boosted my confidence, however, I now have to prepare for a oral presentation on my chose topic of BIM and generate a corresponding report. I plan on getting this report done before I start revision. I have soo much revision as I haven’t been going back to notes as I promised myself I’d do at the start of uni.
Also, this week was my Belly Dancing society performance which was truly unique there were a few mistakes but I feel it went better than I expected. Also, I attended my church Christmas party which was AWESOME and beat any night out, it was lovely to have fun without the need of alchol. I find it really sad when people state the only way they can have fun is through use of alcohol.

Ohh yeah I also got my exam timetable my first exam is on Jan 12 and last on 23th Jan, with exams in between. I truly hope God’s plan for me is passing those exams because I will be working my hardest during Crimbo even staying a week more to revise. The term ends on the 12th of December and I am staying on the 19th and hope to take a coach back up to London on that day. I am really sad to go back home but its go to be done and I haven’t gotten around to buying my Christmas presents yet *sad face*…..but I will do so this week.

Wish me revision and exam luck guys
Good ole’ Quirks:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 30
8th December - 15th December
Hey Guys,

Im freeeeee, it’s the Christmas hols well not quite for me I’m still up in Lufbra to finish up a report, and begin solid revision for the hardest modules I’m studying which include Business Environmental Science and Structural design. Well, I should tell you all this has been the best week by far. I have been soo happy and stress free. I did my oral presentation on BIM and got a 72 which is a 2:1 and I got a 73 in my structural design group poster which was one point higher than everyone else did because I got great peer marks (Peer marking is used to distribute points between team members properly), so I got a 2:1 in that. While, I also got 92 out of a whopping 100 in my Building Environmental Science coursework meaning I only need 11 marks in my exam to pass the module…… Happy dayyyyys and I’ve got a 1st
Actually, I’m a bit sad I spent all these months worrying about failing and now I’ve come to the realization that I won’t do I feel like I spent a lot of sleep and time wasted. Sooo I’ve got 2, 2:1 grades, and 1 1st grade so far.
Anyways, this week I had to email work and tell them I won’t be coming back as I have quite a lot of revision and work to do. A little off topic, but to celebrate I went out two times this week. On Thursday I went to DBE which is a drum and base night which apparently is drug fuelled but I didn’t see much of that. Me and my other two female flatmates took a cute girly flat selfie….

While, me and my flat had a Christmas dinner on Friday which was soo cute….. we actually took a “family photo”. Also, I went out to see a play my friend from church made and I returned to get ready for winter FND. That night was epic I got way drunk and I gave my number to a guy….. that was the drunkest I’ve ever been and I actually danced with him rather provocatively- it’s funny when your drunk the things you think in your head just happen like I would never have done that if I was normal not drunk me. While, I saw both “love” interests that night I think I may have blew it with them both; I was just a state I didn’t tell them I liked them but I think if they saw me grinding on a guy in the union they would be damn well probably put them off although, I dont know if they were "on" in the first place….

This week I’m purchasing Christmas presents that I’m bringing back to London on the 21st of Sunday; I’ll be like santa....While, I’m home alone as all my flatmates have gone; the next time I speak to you I should be in London.
Loves and Hugs
Quirkdog
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 31
Well done! Sounds like a fantastic first semester and a great way to end it off. Work hard for the exams, it's only a month or so then it's back to as normal. Safe travels home!
Reply 32
Original post by ratllesnake
You actually think people care what you write? Unwarranted self importance to the max.

Alright you've now been reported, I'm not telling you to read my blog so if you don't like it there is no need for you to be doing so. Anyways, its sad people actually waste their time being rude to other people just to cover their own insecurities...... just go to bed.

Goodnight
from good ol' quirks
Reply 33
Original post by ratllesnake
Your writing does not even qualify really as a lowly 'blog'. I have not said anything offensive, I am merely offering criticism.

Errmm but did I ASK for your criticism, no!

So therefore, you response is not needed

I bid you farewell and goodnight.
Reply 34
Original post by Mimir
Well done! Sounds like a fantastic first semester and a great way to end it off. Work hard for the exams, it's only a month or so then it's back to as normal. Safe travels home!

Thanks yes I will work my butt off :smile: I wish YOU a Merry Christmas :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by quirkybun
8th December - 15th December
Hey Guys,

Im freeeeee, it’s the Christmas hols well not quite for me I’m still up in Lufbra to finish up a report, and begin solid revision for the hardest modules I’m studying which include Business Environmental Science and Structural design. Well, I should tell you all this has been the best week by far. I have been soo happy and stress free. I did my oral presentation on BIM and got a 72 which is a 2:1 and I got a 73 in my structural design group poster which was one point higher than everyone else did because I got great peer marks (Peer marking is used to distribute points between team members properly), so I got a 2:1 in that. While, I also got 92 out of a whopping 100 in my Building Environmental Science coursework meaning I only need 11 marks in my exam to pass the module…… Happy dayyyyys and I’ve got a 1st
Actually, I’m a bit sad I spent all these months worrying about failing and now I’ve come to the realization that I won’t do I feel like I spent a lot of sleep and time wasted. Sooo I’ve got 2, 2:1 grades, and 1 1st grade so far.
Anyways, this week I had to email work and tell them I won’t be coming back as I have quite a lot of revision and work to do. A little off topic, but to celebrate I went out two times this week. On Thursday I went to DBE which is a drum and base night which apparently is drug fuelled but I didn’t see much of that. Me and my other two female flatmates took a cute girly flat selfie….

While, me and my flat had a Christmas dinner on Friday which was soo cute….. we actually took a “family photo”. Also, I went out to see a play my friend from church made and I returned to get ready for winter FND. That night was epic I got way drunk and I gave my number to a guy….. that was the drunkest I’ve ever been and I actually danced with him rather provocatively- it’s funny when your drunk the things you think in your head just happen like I would never have done that if I was normal not drunk me…. But I don’t want to make a habit of that for God is watching, I actually went into church feeling very guilty and ashamed, although I do think at least I knew my boundaries and I didn't let him kiss me or have sex, I would have felt considerably worst. Although, the weird thing is that I did feel care free and in control. While, I saw both “love” interests that night I think I may have blew it with them both; I was just a state I didn’t tell them I liked them but I think if they saw me grinding on a guy in the union they would be damn well probably put them off although, I dont know if they were "on" in the first place….

This week I’m purchasing Christmas presents that I’m bringing back to London on the 21st of Sunday; I’ll be like santa....While, I’m home alone as all my flatmates have gone; the next time I speak to you I should be in London.
Loves and Hugs
Quirkdog

I have really enjoyed keeping up to date with your freshers blog this year!! Hope you have a great Christmas and good luck for next semester, keep going with the blog :smile:
Hi again, nice to see that everything's going well now!!! So I finally sent off my application last week and have already received two offers (Coventry and Lincoln) but none from Luffy yet. :s-smilie: This has been very useful in terms of me deciding what I want to do and I can't thank you enough!!! Looking forward to this week's post.
Reply 37
Original post by tonkin96
I have really enjoyed keeping up to date with your freshers blog this year!! Hope you have a great Christmas and good luck for next semester, keep going with the blog :smile:

Awww thank you that touches my soul :smile: i hope you have a great christmas thanks for reading along :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by GingerStorm
Hi again, nice to see that everything's going well now!!! So I finally sent off my application last week and have already received two offers (Coventry and Lincoln) but none from Luffy yet. :s-smilie: This has been very useful in terms of me deciding what I want to do and I can't thank you enough!!! Looking forward to this week's post.

Yes the hard work is paying off :smile: , i think i got my letter about the interview late December early jan..... but as i said you needed to get a letter detailing about an interview first before you get the offer.

Don't worry too much good luck
Reply 39
Original post by GingerStorm
I'm looking at material engineering or sports technology (which incorporates a lot of engineering) but i'm not 100% sure yet. Maybe you could mention a little bit on what the course involves (i know you've only just started it but still) it'd be very useful, and possibly some hints and tips on what to do and what not to do in terms of freshers week??

Thank you so much
GingerNinja

Apologies I thought I had replied to your post, well my first tip would be try to stick to your own beliefs or "morals", know what you believe in and don't go past this; for example drugs or alcohol. Also, be prepared to acknowledge first year does count especially if you have sponsorship, sponsors look at your first year grades and I even know some people on my course who have to get a 2:1 in order to keep their sponsor. Also, you need to get 40 percent to get into second year but why want any lower aim high and you'll feel more comfortable in second year aiming for a 1st or a 2:1 because you have that pattern going :smile:

Freshers week is going to have alot of temptation but stand your ground and make sure you don't end up going wild because your parents aren't there as such behavior could have dire consequences if you were following the stories about my poor flatmate :smile:

Merry Christmas and thank you for reading:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending