2017 71.4
2018 69.3
2019 75.7
2020 74.6
2021 80
Yea I applied for E&M.
Exeter.
How is your TSA going?
plan to focus on TSA next week. howz your TSA going.
Original post by Scdlinks
plan to focus on TSA next week. howz your TSA going.

Try my best haha.
I took SAT before so I don't find the critical thinking section hard. But some math questions are so confusing...
Btw, which college did you apply to?
Reply 5
From FOI

E&M Offers - Avg TSA Section 1 Score

2014 65.9
2015 68.6
2016 68.4
2017 71.4
2018 69.3
2019 75.7
2020 74.6
2021 80

Hi what is this data of, its a bit unclear? Are these you test scores or average accepted scores over the years... if so whats the 2021? Thanks
Original post by hiorhey
Hi what is this data of, its a bit unclear? Are these you test scores or average accepted scores over the years... if so whats the 2021? Thanks

these are average offer scores over the years. 2021 is for 2021 entry (2020 TSA exam).

Just like this year will be 2021 TSA exam for 2022 entry (UCAS cycle).
From FOI

E&M Offers - Avg TSA Section 1 Score

2014 65.9
2015 68.6
2016 68.4
2017 71.4
2018 69.3
2019 75.7
2020 74.6
2021 80

how do you have the 2021 data?
Original post by TheOGKaran
how do you have the 2021 data?

as I already said it is 2021 entry (TSA 2020) data.

refer https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/789687/response/1888543/attach/2/FOI%2020210908%202%20E%20M%20TSA.xlsx?cookie_passthrough=1

if you mean TSA 2021 data for 2022 entry then obviously no one has that since the test has not happened and offers have not been made
From FOI data - very high TSA scores with low contextual GCSE scores did not help in shortlisting.
e.g. these candidates did not even get interviews:
cGCSE TSA S1
-0.88 96.7
-1.22 92.1
-0.44 86.1
-0.98 83.8
-0.87 83.8
-0.49 81.8
-0.69 81.8
-0.33 80
-0.78 80
-1.8 80
-0.81 80
-0.17 80

It just shows that GCSE and especially cGCSE is so important in this process for E&M.

I wonder if Oxford will place as much important on GCSE for UCAS 2022 cohort since there was no official GCSE exam and these are merely centre assessed grades under completely unique circumstances.
(edited 2 years ago)
From FOI data - very high TSA scores with low contextual GCSE scores did not help in shortlisting.
cGCSE TSA S1
-0.88 96.7
-1.22 92.1
-0.44 86.1
-0.98 83.8
-0.87 83.8
-0.49 81.8
-0.69 81.8
-0.33 80
-0.78 80
-1.8 80
-0.81 80
-0.17 80

It just shows that GCSE and especially cGCSE is so important in this process for E&M.

I wonder if Oxford will place as much important on GCSE for UCAS 2022 cohort since there was no official GCSE exam and these are merely centre assessed grades under completely unique circumstances.

The difficulty remains in the fact a lot of gap year applicants sat real GCSE exams so if they placed less importance on GCSEs they are disadvantaging y14 applicants perhaps?
Original post by azby1098
The difficulty remains in the fact a lot of gap year applicants sat real GCSE exams so if they placed less importance on GCSEs they are disadvantaging y14 applicants perhaps?

There is no disadvantage for the gap year students since it would be same rule for all. But giving same importance to GCSEs as the previous years is certainly disadvantageous to the Y13 cohort.
There is no disadvantage for the gap year students since it would be same rule for all. But giving same importance to GCSEs as the previous years is certainly disadvantageous to the Y13 cohort.

But the Y13 cohort on average were given grades much higher than they would have done if they sat exams. Therefore, in sitting GCSEs in their normal format, I got grades that are most probably lower than I would have done given teacher assessed conditions. Therefore using the same importance as previous years, Oxford will be comparing grades that have been achieved through actual exams, against centre assessments where on average grades will be higher. Therefore there is no way at all that it can be disadvantageous to the Y13 cohort, because on average students got what they were expected or more, and if they were unhappy with them, they had the opportunity to sit exams where their true ability is shown.
But the Y13 cohort on average were given grades much higher than they would have done if they sat exams. Therefore, in sitting GCSEs in their normal format, I got grades that are most probably lower than I would have done given teacher assessed conditions. Therefore using the same importance as previous years, Oxford will be comparing grades that have been achieved through actual exams, against centre assessments where on average grades will be higher. Therefore there is no way at all that it can be disadvantageous to the Y13 cohort, because on average students got what they were expected or more, and if they were unhappy with them, they had the opportunity to sit exams where their true ability is shown.

the point is that some students study nearer the exam and do far better in the actual exams. Since they had no opportunity to sit actual exam, they have been disadvantaged. Also, the results are not comparable even within the school let alone across schools. Many schools as you say have given inflated grades but some have been stringent.

Official Oxford description for this criteria is 'Exceptional results in official examinations, especially GCSE or equivalent' . By no stretch of definition these were official examinations for GCSEs during 2020. Hence, there is no justification that these should be given the same weight as the previous years.
(edited 2 years ago)
the point is that some students study nearer the exam and do far better in the actual exams. Since they had no opportunity to sit actual exam, they have been disadvantaged. Also, the results are not comparable even within the school let alone across schools. Many schools as you say have given inflated grades but some have been stringent.

Official Oxford description for this criteria is 'Exceptional results in official examinations, especially GCSE or equivalent' . By no stretch of definition these were official examinations for GCSEs during 2020. Hence, there is no justification that these should be given the same weight as the previous years.

They did have an opportunity to sit an actual exam, in the Autumn
They did have an opportunity to sit an actual exam, in the Autumn

That's not the same. Also, in many cases schools either did not allow or actively discouraged students from taking resits as it could then impact their AS levels studies and so on.
whats the interview structure for E&M

2 separate interviews of 20 minutes each for economics and management OR
2 interviews of 20 minutes (each with 10 min Econ and 10 min management)

with a possibility of additional interviews for some candidates.
cGCSE TSA S1
-0.88 96.7
-1.22 92.1
-0.44 86.1
-0.98 83.8
-0.87 83.8
-0.49 81.8
-0.69 81.8
-0.33 80
-0.78 80
-1.8 80
-0.81 80
-0.17 80

do you know how cGCSE scores are calculated? This should hopefully play well for me since my school performed nationally below average for GCSEs but I got all 9s; that should mean I have a good cGCSE right?
Original post by TheOGKaran
do you know how cGCSE scores are calculated? This should hopefully play well for me since my school performed nationally below average for GCSEs but I got all 9s; that should mean I have a good cGCSE right?

Yes I would think so. Also there is nothing to worry with all 9s anyway.

This is what FOI says -

The contextualised GCSE score is calculated as follows:

The number of A* at GCSE is normalised with respect to the rest of the cohort The proportion of A* at GCSE is normalised with respect to the rest of the cohort.
The two scores above are then averaged to produce the GCSE score.
For each candidate the GCSE score is spotted against the school performance data at which the candidate took their GCSEs (% of pupils obtaining 5 or more GCSEs at grades A*-C). The contextualised GCSE score is the standardised residual taken from the regression line.
Yes I would think so. Also there is nothing to worry with all 9s anyway.

This is what FOI says -

The contextualised GCSE score is calculated as follows:

The number of A* at GCSE is normalised with respect to the rest of the cohort The proportion of A* at GCSE is normalised with respect to the rest of the cohort.
The two scores above are then averaged to produce the GCSE score.
For each candidate the GCSE score is spotted against the school performance data at which the candidate took their GCSEs (% of pupils obtaining 5 or more GCSEs at grades A*-C). The contextualised GCSE score is the standardised residual taken from the regression line.

hm thats very insightful thank you.

I see you often on other threads as well - you must be sorted in terms of the TSA right? what college have you applied to if you dont mind me asking?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending