The Student Room Group

Are freshers tickets a scam

I’m in group chats for Nottingham uni and loads of people seem to be buying ‘big freshers pass’ and wristbands. I’m hesitant to buy anything because they seem to be expensive for what they are (£40 for 3 events?)
Is it worth just waiting for the student union event tickets to go on sale?
Also can you buy tickets on the day for the wristband events incase my flat mates decide to go?
The group chats are run by reps pressure selling.
Fatsoma events don’t offer refunds (despite what they say). That means that even if they “sell out” loads of people will be selling on tickets they can’t use.
Okay thanks for the advice
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by MedMolly798
I’m in group chats for Nottingham uni and loads of people seem to be buying ‘big freshers pass’ and wristbands. I’m hesitant to buy anything because they seem to be expensive for what they are (£40 for 3 events?)
Also can you buy tickets on the day for the wristband events incase my flat mates decide to go?

Hi @MedMolly798,

I bought a freshers pass and didn't use it! I'd wait until you move in and see where your flatmates/new friends are going for freshers. Most places will still have tickets available on the night, so there's no need to waste £40.

Lucy
Reply 4

These are generally a massive scam in my mind. They are run by external groups and you’ll find most people that buy them don’t end up going because their flat mates etc wont have tickets or wont go. Stick with the SU events your more likely to have people to go with and they tend to be closer and cheaper.
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi @MedMolly798,

I bought a freshers pass and didn't use it! I'd wait until you move in and see where your flatmates/new friends are going for freshers. Most places will still have tickets available on the night, so there's no need to waste £40.

Lucy

Thanks, I think I’ll just go where my flat goes :smile:

The student union sells fresher tickets. You will find that there are other companies out there that look like they are the legit fresher tickets but they are not.
Yeah, I'm going to a different uni but it is the same- I am in some WhatsApp groups and I think these fatsoma advertisers are harvesting numbers from them as I randomly got a text (not on WhatsApp) from them advertising their freshers tickets and I also have been repeatedly added to a 'Big Freshers Pass' gc on Unifi by one of their reps despite leaving each time :colonhash: Seems scammy for sure.
Original post by redoubtable
Yeah, I'm going to a different uni but it is the same- I am in some WhatsApp groups and I think these fatsoma advertisers are harvesting numbers from them as I randomly got a text (not on WhatsApp) from them advertising their freshers tickets and I also have been repeatedly added to a 'Big Freshers Pass' gc on Unifi by one of their reps despite leaving each time :colonhash: Seems scammy for sure.

Yeah I’ve had similar experiences
Look for your uni's student union freshers page on facebook or something. They will post about official events there, so buy those ones. Also u can buy some unofficial ones if u talk to ur flatmates and they all seem to have them, so ur not excluded

I'm going to uni this year too, but my brother's already been, so I asked him cos I thought the same
You should only purchase tickets through the official university student union, they should provide information on events ahead of Freshers Week. Some students get scammed by purchasing bands through dodgy websites or posts on social media.
Original post by PQ
Fatsoma events don’t offer refunds (despite what they say). That means that even if they “sell out” loads of people will be selling on tickets they can’t use.
lol I guess I’ve just been scammed then 😅
Original post by PQ
I guess I’ve just been scammed then

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending