The Student Room Group

Freshers 2014 is what I’m talking about!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
14th December -21st December 2014

Guys apologies for the late post I hope you forgive me ……:colondollar:

This week has not been the best but it could have been worse I keep telling myself; Anyways I didn’t get much sleep this week I kept going to bed late knowing I would be tired in the morning, I did this to finish of my report. While, I also exhausted myself doing revision in the library for 6 hours a time…. I really do need to remember holidays are meant for resting Also, I arrived home on Sunday after church and it was an emotional reunion with my mum and sister who got a cab down to meet me in Loughborough after I missed my coach (waiting at the wrong stop with huge baggage)… well at least I’m home. Also, I have started more efficient revision, maybe not efficient but in planning on doing a cramming session today to ensure I cover most of the content on my course and I am able to process on to my past paper practice. I am seriously dreading Structural design and the lighting stuff in BES, its great that my degree is hard though it means I’m getting value for money and I’m challenging myself.

Anyways sorry for the short post and I do hope your having a great Christmas holiday so far, you shall see me sometime next week as usual.

Have a great Christmas day guys .

A Hug and a Smile :smile::biggrin:
Quirks.
Reply 41
24th December - 29th December

Sorry guys just been in a very big rush with revision , so much content so little time. Anyways, apart from revision i've also chilled out and had a few lies in's which were blissful, but i am behind on revision and stressing out... a few topics regarding structural that I thought i understood, i've found out I haven't and I still need to understand light which still confuses me.... HELP ME
:afraid::afraid:

But as good ol Bob says.... everything will be alright
Alright guys got mounds to revise enjoy the rest of Chrimbo :smile:

Hey, I'm wondering what the night life in Loughborough is like. Are the clubs and events on campus good?

Are there any good places to go off campus, say in the town of Loughborough?

Also, do people sometimes travel outside of Loughborough to surrounding cities (Leicester, Nottingham etc) for nights out?

Finally, as a boy, I am wondering if the boy:girl ratio is bad as it is made out... are clubs just full of guys and minimal amounts of women haha,

Thanks
Reply 43
29th December January -4th January

Apologies guys I've been soo busy with revision- turns out I got a 68% in my Building Materials MCQ which was two marks of a 1st so happy as I thought I failed. Anyways, I've taken two exams soo far and have three more to go, soo looking forward to being free from this, I did my revision and tried my best so I believe I should definitely be O.K, sorry for the short post but I do need to get to sleep for church tomorrow.

I am so sorry, i promise to reply to those who have messaged me once exams are over and I apologies for not posting for two weeks or so.

All the best guys, tomorrow's post will definitely be a detailed allusion to my happenings :smile:

Night
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 44
10th January - 17th January

Okay guys, I am feeling like a zombie as I write this As I woke up extreeeemely early to get this done. Anywho’s let me do a brief summary of lastweek;
Last week I did two exams one in Structural Design and the other in Building Materials, I have truly learnt that University exams are nothing to be afraid and are just question your knowledge about a subject rather than how much you can remember. While, the week Before I did an MCQ for my Building Materials coursework which I was pretty pleased about as I truly thought I hadn’t done well. I got a 68% so yayyyy me; I have been working hard but sometimes procrastination does take over. LOL, I have actually noticed I have developed this habit of cleaning the whole messy kitchen just to avoid starting revision on Lighting from Building Environmental Science.

My life has been really boring just revision, however I think I have developed a liking for one of my neighbours… lets see how this goes. Anyways I have rallied my flatmates in who have LOL attempted to give me flirting advice and are also planning on bringing him over to the flat on pre-drinks this Friday (celebrating the end of exams). However, I am really worried about drinking too much in celebration of the end of exams as things could have the possibility of escalating quickly in the presence of alcohol, thus, I will measure what I drink. Also, there was this friend I may have been interested at one time…. Or maybe I am but I am ignoring this attraction because he’s extremely controlling, we do always argue and he is much like a woman which I have told him multiple times, its amazing how an argument with him can make me unhappy for the whole day, its just not healthy as friends and God help us if were dating. Also, don’t get me wrong he is a nice person but sometimes I feel that because I have told him that we can only be friends he still likes me and is upset when he hears or I comment on how I like other people because he’s emotionally attached. Thus, I have come to the conclusion I’ll stop meeting up with him only us two which we did harmlessly quite a lot because I truly feel like im leading him on. I really don’t know if I’m ready for a relationship but I believe I’m ready for the dating thing I.e getting to know each other.

LOL I also forgot to say i’ve got flatmates me and a friend from church are moving in together with her friend one of which I met last week and It sounds like were gonna have a fun time living all together, I love my friend soo much I really can confide in her and I can’t wait to move in together.

Alright guys, if you have any tips of “flirting” or allure which u think might be useful don’t hesitate to post them up…haha I need all the help I can get.
Tarah
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 45
Hello There fbrep2012,

Hope you are well sorry for the belated reply, here’s a reply to your questions…enjoy:

What is the night life in Loughborough Like ?

Well if you’re from a City like London (like I am) the nightlife may not be spectacular, however, its enjoyment in town is based on the company you’re with. To be honest, I am getting use to the nightlife, I do make an effort to dress up and stuff and get there and people are wearing jeans which is a bit disappointing , but let us Laaandoners show em how to do it LOL. I would say some nights it may be disappointing, it all depends what days you go, for instance, last year’s Christmas FND was great everyone was pumped up, and I’m hoping this is the same for this week’s end of exams FND. While, a normal weekly FND may not be as busy and pumped.
Also, its worth noting the Students Union is the biggest clubbing venue I believe and it has like five rooms I think, which all play different music, so therefore its more than likely you’ll enjoy it as its so diverse in terms of genre.

Are the events on campus good?

Unfortunately, I haven’t been to all on Campus events work has gotten in the way, but, the majority I have been too have been quite good i.e: DBE which is a Drum and Bass event was okay a few sweaty people on MDM but what ever floats ya boat. While, I have yet to go to Loughborough Invades which is when universities neighboring Nottingham all head down there (and that’s three uni’s) and get smashed together whhhheeyyy

Are there any good places off Campus?

Haha well I can’t speak for all clubs, however, the top ones Revs, Mansion and Echoes do promise a good night, but as I say it depends on the nights you go. I’m sure during freshers week at least one event will be at one of these so you’ll have a taste of it first hand almost automatically.

Is it common to travel outside of Loughborough to the neighboring cities?

Well I guess if you wanted to you could there are trains which run from Louhborough to practically anywhere. While, you could take a coach but warn you the megabus coach stop is in the middle of nowhere or you could take a local bus which could take an hour to arrive but you still get to where you want.Also, you may even pay a taxi to get you to a neighboring City which would be quite expensive seeing as I pay eight pounds to get from the SU to Harry French which is only down the road. Also, there are trips like Mayhem which encourage you to travel to places like Derby or Nottingham so you have many opportunities to do so.

Is the boy:girl ratio obvious?

LOL well to girls it is… but boys I feel you have a better selection of beautiful Loughborough girls which is quite good for you obviously and the same for girls.

Okay I hope answered your questions have a great day and thank you for the post.

Quirks

(edited 9 years ago)
I loved reading your blog! You're so cute!
Reply 47
Haha thank you, I'm happy you find my blog interesting :smile:

Again if you have anything in particular you'd like me to mention don't hesitate to put up a reply like you have done.
Thanks for getting back to me in such detail. I was questioning whether you gave up with this blog aha but I am sure you're very busy. Keep at it because I and many others enjoy reading it.

Original post by quirkybun
4th January 19th January

Also, you may even pay a taxi to get you to a neighboring City which would be quite expensive seeing as I pay eight pounds to get from the SU to Harry French which is only down the road.

Is the campus really that big that you may need to get a taxi from one part to another? Are there shuttle buses or something?
Reply 49
Original post by fbrep2012
Thanks for getting back to me in such detail. I was questioning whether you gave up with this blog aha but I am sure you're very busy. Keep at it because I and many others enjoy reading it.

Is the campus really that big that you may need to get a taxi from one part to another? Are there shuttle buses or something?

Haha no I only paid because I had luggage on me without the luggage I would have walked. Also, yes shuttle buses do run they run all the way through town :smile:
Reply 50
17th January - 24th January

Okay guys , im freeeeeeee, haha exams are over and these past few days have been blissful. Also, I arrived in London my hometown this evening, boy is it good to be home. I’m arriving in Lufbra for Tuesday evening to make sure I’m back in Lufbra for refreshers on wednesday. Time to discuss my exams…….my last exam was on Friday on Building Environmental Science and I felt it was pooey I feel like I executed the formulas incorrectly throughout all three of the sections but I do hope what I did was enough to pass. Anyways, due to my disappointment of the exam I decided to leave my coursework results pick up for the next week giving myself a rest from all things work- like. Although, I feel the rest of my exams were O.K apart from that one. There always has to be that one ehhhh . Haha, also, in one of my exams someone practically had me shift seats stating my seat was their’s even after checking it was not… sooo in one of my exams I lost five minutes due to that but it wasn’t too bad as I managed to catch up in a hurry, but I did feel sorry for the guy finding out he was apparently in seat 38 rather than 28 and being so mused and focused in exam mode he couldn’t recognize the difference between these two numbers *sad face*. LOL but I did see him in the SU to which he apologized with us both in a drunken state.

Also guys, I found out I don’t fancy my crush anymore after speaking to him on Friday night….. I did the chat up line challenge using the ever so famous polar bear one , to which he responded with a literal figure haha, everything was great and then I asked him if he had been studying for his exams to which he said no, stated he slept all day and woke up at night, also stated he missed lectures because he couldn’t be bothered to attend them, too which I stated “okayyy” then smiled and pleasantly walked away, I am hardworking and I don’t like laziness so that was a huge turn-off. Like I heard he was laid-back but that was to the extreme…. Again I think I am taking the I can’t be bothered stance I’ll let the boys come to meeee but if I do see anyone who looks interesting I will ensure I show interest. However, the night in all, was good I hung out with my dear friend and her chums and we all got a little drunk haha, I wasn’t as drunk as Grind night though which was definitely good.

Whatelse…..today I attended church set up and the congregation is ever-growing which is great…today we had the most amount of people at 100 and something, I also went to the church lunch and then headed to Wilko to purchase some hangers to put up all the clothes I had be placing aside because the plastic hangers I used kept breaking and I couldn’t be bothered to store them away properly. Also, I have the flu, ain’t that sad the time I finish exams I get ill… IS THIS LIFE??

Alright guys see you next week hope your past week was interesting and fun.

Adios
QuirkyQuirkQuirks:smile:
Sounds like a manic time! What church did u go to?
Reply 52
Original post by Nubian Rapunzel
Sounds like a manic time! What church did u go to?

Yeah it definitely was, Junction Church Loughborough, its a contemporary church like Hillsong.
Reply 53
24th January 1st February

So this week has been a mix of excitement and sadness; refreshers began on Wednesday with the first night being filled with drunkenness. I should tell you the whole refreshers fortnight is themed (this is chosen by your halls) however most of the nights so far I and my flat mates have decided to wear our own clothing, because were rebels haha. The first event was Refreshers tee’s, but the t-shirt which didn’t seem that nice anyways where 7 something each so my ‘crew’ just decided to choose our own clothing, that night I did drink quite a bit and ended up in Cognitos dancing with this random guy oops. On Thursday I decided to spend it with my guy friend who lives next door who I said I had a crush on but felt he was controlling, well, we watched a movie and he kissed me, FIRST KISS COMPLETED…. I told him what I wanted to say for ages stating….I liked him, then he said for him it was complicated, he liked someone else, and in his words he said “I’m not saying I don’t like you”. From that moment on I realized how much I liked him and hanging out with him for what seemed like ages that day made me see how I misinterpreted his actions and misunderstood him generally . Anyways, skip to Friday, I invited him over to predrinks he said yes at first but then stated he didn’t want to stay in a room full of drunks because he can’t drink (due to liver problems), well he returned home and I decided to meet him after and head with him to the union, we did that and saw that the line for FND (this is a weekly friday event held at the SU everynight :smile:) was sooo long and decided to just head home, following arriving at his flat to which my deadly Vodka mix sunk in and I kept collapsing everywhere, like the nice person he was he carried me home and stayed with me the whole night which gave me mixed messages as he was hugging me but didn’t kiss me as he stated he didn’t want to let me do things I didn’t want to do. Now I sit here contemplating whether it’s worth staying friends with him as or just stop talking to him completely, but I feel I’ve invested myself in him already and if I stay friends with him the hurt of him liking other people will get too much. This is the worse feeling ever right now.

Sorry for the long soppy and nonsensical post I hope to come back next week a little more cheery.:smile:

See you all later.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 54
1st February 8th February

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late post guys……I feel soo happy and free like I’ve spent the whole of last week doing absolutely no work LOL, well I did do some but I did it at my own pace and felt a whole lot better afterwards not like the stress head I was in Semester 1. Anyways, this calls for celebration for a whole new quirky bun who is going sort herself out this semester and be more organised than I was last semester and not worry soo much, because boys and girls…… worrying isn’t good for your health. Also, I’ve decided to stop talking to my male friend who turns out to be a jerk, he kissed me told me he liked someone else, I stupidly went to go see him as he was ill and stuff he pushes me out saying the girl he likes is on her way almost an hour into the movie and I… I must hide in the kitchen while she goes into his room and exit as she enters…WHAT IS THIS?...WHAT AM I… anyways after that I realized he isn’t what I need and I’d rather spend time enjoy life with friends and family than seek males for additional happiness. However, back to education forgot to say semester 2 started last week, so I’ve got six new modules their ; Building production; simply how to produce a building, Site surveying; surveying and using technological methods to determine the level of a proposed building site, Methods of measurement; relates to the finances of a build and the methods of cost you have to follow strictly and how you do this, Research Assignment; 20 page report on Photovoltaic Cells/ Solar Panels and Manual Graphics, 2D Cad and BIM; drawing buildings and stuff haha.
Well so far I’m enjoying all modules. Also, I’ve started driving lessons here at uni which are going awesome, the instructors great, now we're onto the steering, she’s just so patient which is awesome, I usually do these lessons after lectures and I do French every Thursday.. Woho telling you all I now truly realize how much happier this semester has made me.

Tarah guys got some notes to write up, please do keep me posted on anything you’d like me to mention or even say hello….c’mon don’t be shhhhy. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by quirkybun
1st February 8th February

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late post guys……I feel soo happy and free like I’ve spent the whole of last week doing absolutely no work LOL, well I did do some but I did it at my own pace and felt a whole lot better afterwards not like the stress head I was in Semester 1. Anyways, this calls for celebration for a whole new quirky bun who is going sort herself out this semester and be more organised than I was last semester and not worry soo much, because boys and girls…… worrying isn’t good for your health. Also, I’ve decided to stop talking to my male friend who turns out to be a jerk, he kissed me told me he liked someone else, I stupidly went to go see him as he was ill and stuff he pushes me out saying the girl he likes is on her way almost an hour into the movie and I… I must hide in the kitchen while she goes into his room and exit as she enters…WHAT IS THIS?...WHAT AM I… anyways after that I realized he isn’t what I need and I’d rather spend time enjoy life with friends and family than seek males for additional happiness. However, back to education forgot to say semester 2 started last week, so I’ve got six new modules their ; Building production; simply how to produce a building, Site surveying; surveying and using technological methods to determine the level of a proposed building site, Methods of measurement; relates to the finances of a build and the methods of cost you have to follow strictly and how you do this, Research Assignment; 20 page report on Photovoltaic Cells/ Solar Panels and Manual Graphics, 2D Cad and BIM; drawing buildings and stuff haha.
Well so far I’m enjoying all modules. Also, I’ve started driving lessons here at uni which are going awesome, the instructors great, now we're onto the steering, she’s just so patient which is awesome, I usually do these lessons after lectures and I do French every Thursday.. Woho telling you all I now truly realize how much happier this semester has made me.

Tarah guys got some notes to write up, please do keep me posted on anything you’d like me to mention or even say hello….c’mon don’t be shhhhy. :smile:

I have literally read the last 2 posts only after it poped on tsr, my adivce you should rather stay single for uni then fall for players, but don't worry i'm sure you'll get someone :biggrin:
In terms of modules what is that course? It sounds interesting, do you have to take into account the geology of the area as well? :h:
Reply 56
8th February- 15th February

I apologise guys, this has been a busy week for all university students….. Results are out …… and guess what guyyys…… :biggrin:I passed with a 2:1 in the first Semester, I even passed structures with a 46% which I am pleased about as I didn’t think I’d make it…. My highest was a 76% in Building Materials which I am utterly pleased about as I thought it didn’t go too well. So all in all I got two firsts, one 2:1, two 2:2’s and a 1:3, the one’s I didn’t do so well in were the ones which relied heavily on physics and that certainly ain’t my strong point. It was funny because I waited ages to get the results for my Building Materials back because apparently the main lecturer marking his part of the exam paper fell sick so the two lectures of the module had to mark it for him… this proves the point that lecturers hate marking as much as we hate exams and they put it off so late. Also, my semester 2 is going really well I’m enjoying it and taking a relaxed approach as I know how much I can do and I know what to work on to achieve better, my main gripe is procrastination I think, but boy am I happy that’s over.
Sorry this is going to be a really short post gonna get back to some of my coursework now.

Love from your one and only quirks
:wink:
Reply 57
Original post by Guren
I have literally read the last 2 posts only after it poped on tsr, my adivce you should rather stay single for uni then fall for players, but don't worry i'm sure you'll get someone :biggrin:
In terms of modules what is that course? It sounds interesting, do you have to take into account the geology of the area as well? :h:

Hey well I do construction engineering management which relies on all three aspects. I love my course its such great fun and we learn all things construction related such as building materials, building production, construction technology and management and site surveying but to name a few, in terms of a site investigation we do need to understand soil types so I guess understanding basic notions of geology is apart of some of the modules we do on the course.

Haha I'll take your advice into account, quirky bun usually doesn't fall for people so when it happens, it happens quite hard, but i'm over it he's lost out not me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Really enjoying your honest weekly blogs about uni. I admire your dedication to the blog. What do you enjoy most about writing the blogs? Keep going!
Reply 59
15 February- 22rd February

Quirks in the house……..okay this week has been extremely average, back to the grind in terms of coursework and notes again this semester I have 3 exams…. What a relief and I believe 8 pieces of coursework to do, I love coursework… well some of them, anyways, I have a group project in Building Production where I and my other female partner is heading the team. Also, what I have realized now since joining such a male dominated course is that boys are lazy… well some boys… anywho’s, the projects not going to bad with our guidance.

While, this week, I went out twice, Friday and Saturday both days neglecting my 20 page essay… ooops, now I’ve begun it, well about four lines and I’m feeling optimistic I can get it done by next week by staying in all day. Anways, I went out on Friday for FND as it was my flatmates birthday on Saturday and technically being out at midnight would mean that we’d be celebrating it.. While, I also we went out again on Saturday for her birthday, meeting at a pub called The Amber Rooms… which was pretty strange, watching an Old Caucasian lady practically hump a young Asian male was certainly the highlight of my night, anyways, we were there with her workmates but as her flatmates we felt pretty segregated, anyways, she seems to be fond of one of her male workmates, I’m so happy for her it seems as though she’s changed her ways and found value for her body,I was really worried about her as she seemed to be compensating for her low self-esteem with sexual encounters from numerous guys.

Additionally, this week I’ve pondered upon many things… because quirks is very philosophical haha, anyways I’ve just been thinking about how quick first year is going, like it’s weird to think that this time last year I wasn’t contemplating university and in fact I wanted to do an apprenticeship which probably wouldn’t have been well paid and wouldn’t have given me the skills I wanted, I was truly thinking in two dimensions, I’m so glad I decided to come to uni and chose Loughborough else I wouldn’t have met the people I have done now . Also, I wouldn’t have found Christ and I certainly wouldn’t have challenged myself in taking on this course which I love and find so interesting… I’m soo happy I never gave up I truly am. I know many of you felt as I did in semester 1, sad and almost burdened by work, but you do get through it and the rewards are great… all I can say to you is “Keep Swimming”, you’ll get the prize at the end.

There’s my little rant over
See you guys next week for crazy quirkybun tales
:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending