The Student Room Group

Freshers 2014 is what I’m talking about!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by lavidastudent
Really enjoying your honest weekly blogs about uni. I admire your dedication to the blog. What do you enjoy most about writing the blogs? Keep going!

Hey thanks, I really enjoy writing them because I know how anxious readers are to find out what uni is like, I was at that stage and looked on here for some blogs before I went off and I feel they did prepare me and give me an indication of what uni is like. Therefore, I'm dedicated because I know that the readers who are reading this see as the same way I did or even read it as a medium of nostalgia.

:smile: Have a great day
Reply 61
22nd February 2014 1st March 2014

I’m soo sorry guys semester 2 is soo busy… it’s this Autocad stuff its taking me ages to draw up, I’ve got three manual drawings to configure; a beam detail, a column detail and a general arrangement which should also mirror professional steel structure; I’ve been busy with that and my 20 page essay, I’m soo tired I only had 4 hours sleep and had to go off to church, the Saturday before I was celebrating my friend’s birthday which isn’t yet it’s the Monday coming. Anyways, we went to the club in town called echoes which is awesome but very dirty and I didn’t need to drink much to enjoy myself, I think it’s because I was in the company of people who could have fun no matter what, I’m starting to reevaluate this notion of getting drunk just to have a good time, its really sad and I feel disappointed I used to be that way. I apologise for my lack of posts, I haven’t had much time to go out but I have a theory test to start revising for when I hardly even have time to eat, boy is this life stress, I apologise for the short post and I know it won’t make any sense I’m just sooooooooo tired.

Lights out guys
Quirky Bun
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by quirkybun
22nd February 2014 6th March 2014

I’m soo sorry guys semester 2 is soo busy… it’s this Autocad stuff its taking me ages to draw up, I’ve got three manual drawings to configure; a beam detail, a column detail and a general arrangement which should also mirror professional steel structure; I’ve been busy with that and my 20 page essay, I’m soo tired I only had 4 hours sleep and had to go off to church, the Saturday before I was celebrating my friend’s birthday which isn’t yet it’s the Monday coming. Anyways, we went to the club in town called echoes which is awesome but very dirty and I didn’t need to drink much to enjoy myself, I think it’s because I was in the company of people who could have fun no matter what, I’m starting to reevaluate this notion of getting drunk just to have a good time, its really sad and I feel disappointed I used to be that way. I apologise for my lack of posts, I haven’t had much time to go out but I have a theory test to start revising for when I hardly even have time to eat, boy is this life stress, I apologise for the short post and I know it won’t make any sense I’m just sooooooooo tired.

Lights out guys
Quirky Bun

Wait till your third year and you have to apply for graduate schemes on top.
Always good to read your blog. Don't apologise! Work comes first!
Reply 64
8th March-15th March 2015

Hey guys, finally managed to catch some time, *happy dance*, I finished my Autocad stuff with quite a bit of help but in the end it look great, now I have three more pieces to go; I have another Autocad piece on Concrete, a 20 page essay on Solar cells to finish as well as a one page essay which really isn’t an essay. The Solar Cell essay, is nearly finished and the self-reflection essay is nearly done, both are due in a week’s time meaning I can chill slightly. However, one thing im annoyed about is the fact that this concrete coursework is due for after the holidays, meaning I need to either get a quicker laptop which can process Autocad better or do some sort of internal upgrade….. I don’t even know if that’s possible to be able to finish the coursework. As at the moment I am visiting the library to finish this work. . Anyways, I have two more weeks before the end of term and I truly can’t wait to be finished….however, I have a construction trip beginning on the 29th of April and will be finishing around the 2nd of April, where I and a group of 14 other people will be building a road and a bridge in Rural Somerset, so excited… then I’ll be going back home. Also, one of the funniest happened to me…. My laptop charger broke within the socket, lol its still working somehow but I’m waiting on a replacement charger, it was so comical like I was trying to drag my laptop to my bed and it just snapped haha.

Now on that random allusion i think its time to get ready for lectures....

Have a great week guys,:smile:
Quirks
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 65
15 March 22nd March
Good Morning everyone,
Boy have I missed you, can I tell you all…. The end is nigh *happy dance* with a sad face, im going to miss Loughborough but I think its time I have a break, haha in lectures its apparent everyone is just so burnt out. Anyways guys, I started the concrete coursework and I am finding it very easy... its actually a miracle the last Autocad stuff on concrete made me literally want to jump off a bridge. I have some great news though I finally manage to download Autocad and Revit on my computer after trying multiple times to which I would get a time out notice. Also, I sent my report on Photovoltaic Cells in; the funny thing is I am becoming the typical student really finishing up my work the night before… Well it wasn’t done too late needless to say I did have a lot of content written. Consequently, I feel much lighter although I have quite a bit of work to do for Easter including the generation of a Construction programme with a sequence of work activities to be done on site.
However, for the social side I haven't been out in two weeks which is kinda sad but it has to be done, I was told Semester 2 becomes more serious and it does entirely, however, I have been meeting up with friends and going on group grocery trips, also church meetings are my favorite past time. Haha guys, did I tell you my laptop charger got stuck in the socket and broke in there meaning I had to take it out after I got a new charger because fortunately it still worked that way for some odd reason haha.
Anyways guys, I think its time we call it a day

Lots of love quirk dog:fleurdelis:.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 66
22nd March 29th March

Well guys lets just say this Friday was an explosive night out… let me get this out the way, I drank like any student would do and ended up being sick on the dancefloor in the union; which I don’t remember must I add apparently got booted out of the union because of it and woke up with two X’s on both arms indicating I was chucked out and shouldn’t be let in… also don’t remember any it but the reminisce of vomit on my chin and my bathroom sink indicates it was a wild night out. Overall, this crazy night which I am disappointed I missed entirely has indicated to me that something needs to be done about the way I drink, lately I’ve been realizing I’ve been following the crowd and drinking to get smashed which is extremely sad, I mean anything could have happened to me if my flat mates hadn’t brought me home. I’ve been thinking about a Sober year challenge drinking no alcohol at prinks, nights out and even casual meetings, I’ve asked God for some help and some guidance because I cannot repeat what happened last time. However, I suppose this is one drunk story I can tell the kids when trying to ward them off alcohol:h:.

Anyways, I and my colleagues have arrived at Bridgwater in Somerset for a four day construction programme encompassing of all the construction notions we were taught, I am soo happy I am apart of the Site coordination team which means I basically get to boss everyone around which is something I’d like to do as a Construction Manager for a living.. I’m soo excited. Also, I forgot to say I made it up with that annoying friend and we’ve decided just to bury all bad feelings and stay as friends, I figured its best to burn bridges rather than having such deep hatred for someone.

Apart from the emotions of life, I’ve got revision and Autocad coursework to do :frown: , as well as other coursework pieces for my modules to look forward to *sad face*, I’m also worried about presentation I might have to do for my sixth form about Lboro in London, I’m worried because my contact for the sixth form has not gotten back to me and I would hate to have to learn the presentation and my points in such short notice.

See ya guys next week
MC Quirk :afro:
I am enjoying this blog a lot!😊
Reply 68
5th April- 12th April 2015

Okay Catch up time guys, I am currently at home and I am seriously loving the “non-student” lifestyle, sitting back while my mum cooks food, having a Television, actually being at home in my town. Regardless, I have had coursework to do including my presentation on Solar Cells, Revit Coursework which consist of building a concrete and steel structure as well as finishing off my AutoCad stuff; I’m nearly finished with the presentation but have a long way to go with the Revit Stuff which is currently scaring me and I am trying to avoid like the plague.

Anyways, being at home I do miss my uni pals, I miss seeing them every day and having the liberty to do what I want, sleepover at a friend’s house and eat what I want and so on. I feel like a little child back at home which is nice now but I am dreading this during the Summer I feel being at home will be too much for two months and arguments may occur. Also, I have altered my sleeping pattern dramatically going to bed at around 3am and waking up during midday, I feel almost obliged to have a lie in for the whole of this week as I have been working hard this year.
Guys I should also tell you, I'm thinking of my finale post to finish off my first year blog, nearing the Last day of the Semester I'd be grateful if you could give me some topics to discuss :smile:

Cheerio Pals
Quirkster :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by Brittaniwaylett
I am enjoying this blog a lot!������

Thank you for the comment, its here for your enjoyment

Oh by the way, I'm thinking of my finale post to finish off my first year blog, nearing the Last day of the Semester I'd be grateful if you could give me some topics to discuss :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 70
12th April-19th April 2015

Good afternoon guys, had an awesome week, tehee, I was feeling very lonely at the start of the week and I was severely missing my friend who in Lufbra I talk to allll the time, he’s the one I had THAT argument with, who I blanked childishly for a month to get him to apologise properly… you know whom I’m talking about guys. Anyways, we met up this Thursday, he asked me to come with him to a doctor’s appointment and I thought, I’m free! Bored! And feeling lonely so why not, anyways it was a good laugh with him, LOL, I also noticed he’s less crazier on London territory which is quite humorous.

Anyways, next week is my Birthday and I have just bought my twin her present which I will reveal later on so as to not reveal the present, who know’s she could be watching this. I find it weird that I am going to be 19, it’s a milestone age and 20 is even more significant, my mother is stressing me out telling me I need to find a husband, like really, I gotta get my career on check. LOL, anyways, I’m sure she was joking, or I hope she was.

Next week I return to Loughborough, a day after my birthday to be specific, and I am very excited, I miss my church, my man dem…lol, I just want to be back In the Lboro bubble.

Ohh yes, I think I forgot to tell you about how that construction trip went, it was Ab fab, now I know being in construction is definitely what I would like to do regardless of the stress. Actually, my sponsor from Lendlease (my sponsoring construction company) actually revealed that this Sumer I should be working on a project in Elephant and Castle which should be interesting, I am just so excited for my future as a whole.

Au revoir Mes amies
Quirks
Reply 71
19th 26th April 2015

Oh wow guys… long time no see…. Regardless the star of the show is here (I’m just joking) Anyways, this week was my birthday week and I had a great birthday with my family, a standard occasion really. Also, I managed to get a decent amount of my Revit coursework done and I also managed to finish my concrete coursework…wahey, I was so worried I wouldn’t be able to complete them over the Easter holidays because previously the software I was using kept crashing my computer which mean’t I couldn’t get my work done. Also, this holiday I haven’t done much work but I know I’ll be alright if I start revision early, I love my current modules and I know I can do my best in them this semester these are : Principles of Law, Methods of Measurement, Manual Graphics, Research Assignment, Site Surveying and Building Production… I think I told you them before, anyways yep there a lot of fun.

On the 23rd I actually arrived to university early to ensure I was able to print my AutoCad concrete for the Hand in on the proceeding Monday. Anyways this week has been preeety lazy and I have been able to refresh myself a whole hell of a lot.

See you guys next week, hope you enjoyed your quirky fix
Love Quirky Buncakes :love:
:smile:
Really loving this diary, I can't wait to start uni this September (Staffordshire uni) and reading your posts are just getting me even more impatient lol I'll be 22 when I go though, have you met anyone who's officially classed as a 'mature student'? Is it any different for them in terms of mixing with the younger students and making friends as easily?
Reply 73
26th April - 3rd May 2015

Hey Guys,This post is long overdue…..ooops got carried away with all my coursework. Anyways, I managed to finish off my last piece of Autocad coursework meaning I am done with the programme, well until next year *cries into her pillow*, boy did I love the software although it was classic and the basic form of modelling software for construction out there, I admired the challenge the software brought…. Hehe I love challenges.Anways, I have an MCQ for my Research Assignment module next week as well as one for my Manual graphics module sooo I do need to get revising for those, the research assignment chapters to get through and like the typical university student I am, I left it till last minute. Also, it’s worth telling you guys its nearly exam season, my friend from church gave me the biggest heart attack telling me his exams start next week, lol but I checked he was wrong and my first exam is the 10th of June which is good a lot of time to get through revision. However, my last exam is the 16th meaning that I finish on the last day of term, so the rest of my flat mates will be partying and I’ll be crying onto my book of Surveying for construction. Lol I should also tell youguys that this week I had the most funniest night out, me and my male friendfrom civil arrived early in Lboro and ended up planning to go out… funny partis it actually turned into a night at McDonalds with none of the clubs inLoughborough except rubbish Firefly being open, what a waste of drink haha,anyways it was good to get to know him as we only knew each other from theconstruction trip I went on a few weeks back.

Alright
Adios my quirkbuns:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 74
3rd May 2015 10 May 2015
Alright guys much to say,
Well…. this week was a great week in terms of the work and school balance I’ve been trying to find this year, I managed to squeeze in revision for both MCQ’s while being more social. I am also pleased to tell you guys that I achieved 90% in my online AutoCad Multiple Choice Questionnaire (MCQ..just clarifying I’ve had quite a few people asking me what that meant tehe)… anyways, that was worth 10% of the ever so troublesome manual graphics module, I’ve found that ever since that MCQ for Economics in Semester 1 where I achieved 53% which is a 2:2 and I had done like 14 hours of revision for it, I fear MCQ's, sometimes the universe isn't fair; people who cheated themselves got higher. However, I did do quite good overall getting a 68% in the actual exam wheey, so that’s what hard work gets you.

Anyways, this week me and my church friends had a life group meeting (where we meet each other and discuss life haha) at the local buffet in Loughborough which was yum in my tum, I ate soo much but what was funny was the fact that after claiming I wouldn’t eat again,maybe two hours later I was munching on so ice cream…. LOL well I should take advantageof my high metabolism now. However, one thing that’s been annoying me this week would be the Group project for my Building Production module where I and four other group members are required to create programme documents for a fake construction project based on a real one, as a group we need to come up with sequences for the project and this mathematical process is very long winded, I and another team member are doing all the work the others claim they have too much and its unfair, the fact that WE had to spend 6 hours on Sunday and Saturday to get it finish. Anyways, we finished right before thedeadline and it was a relief.Also, I went out this week, finally,I went to Firefly and I had an interesting night, boogied and caught some male attention which boobied dramatically with me thinking I shouldn’t follow the advice of my friends and make the effort, so for now, I’ll chill look pretty and the birds shall flock tehehe , anyways, that’s not a major concern for me my work is extremely important at this stage.Here’s for finishing my Building Production coursework and actually feeling like I still got it kinda…., now foranother week of trying to finish my Revit work, this week shall be stressfuland fulfilling. Peace out my fwends

Quirks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 75
10 May 2015 17th May 2015
Okay guys this week was and is mental, I have still not finished it, I am sat here typing this at 2am (I began at 5pm ) because I am trying to complete my Revit coursework due tomorrow.. no today theoretically; at 9am, I have truly underestimated this Revit 3D modelling coursework which I started during Easter may I add , all I needed to construct were a few titleblocks for my 15 or so views of my steel structure, these are simply views like elevations and plans and so on, but this annotating is taking longer than predicted. I have two pieces of coursework due tomorrow an essay for Method of Measurement which I have completed and this which I am on the verge of completing. Consequently, as you can see this week has been intense with trying to squeeze in lectures and these demanding pieces of work However, it all pay off when they are handed in.. on time tomorrow, If I hand it in late my grade will be capped at 40% and we don’t want that… quirks work is worth much more than that.Ohh, this week I alsoattended the ACS ball on Tuesday, this was the ball for the Afro-Carribean society which I haven’t been to any events or meetings to throughout the academic year, mainly because they don’t tell anyone about them or they state events short notice and expect everyone to attend because of this. Well, the ball was very disappointing the male guy from halls I had been speaking to..who I like previously if you remember was disappointing he seemed like he didn’t want to be there and he was pretty much extremely laid back and spoke soo much about himself. I’ll be candid, I gave him time to talk and he did not ask me one question held no doors open and stated that “I should have brought a jacket”when I said it was cold and I was wearing a tiny dress because I wanted to appear on point, like really… Anyways, we haven’t spoken since then I think that’s only right he’s too laid back for my liking.Anyways the coursework calls, P.S apologies for the grammar mistakes in the previous posts the software I proof-read my blog posts with has gone awry and either its sticking words together or just not highlighting words that aren't spelt correctly.

Also, what do you guys want for my finale post?

Thanks all
Quirk McQuirks :smile::h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 76
17th May 24thMay 2015
Hey guys, Is everyone alright? I am, I am basically free, I all I have to do this week is nothing, weird eh,from finishing coursework frantically to living life in the free lane, it’s weird how University can change the pace of your life. I just want to reiterate guys, make use of your first year I feel like I should have done tremendously,I worried soo much about failing and I didn’t really need to because when you think about it, you only fail grossly if you don’t do much work, like even my flatmate who completes all pieces of coursework the night before hasn’t failed. Guys, I also want to ask you what questions you would like me to answer in regards to university so adequately appease any concerns you have about uni.Anyways, I’m going tomake use of all this and have a quiet nap…. Good night

"its time to exit quirky mania!"
Adios
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 77
24th May 2015 -31st May 2015
Hellllloooooo everybody, So guys, I officially finished lectures this week and boy does it seem weird, all I have left of this academic year is a Site Surveying field trip for the coursework component of the module and the ever so dreaded exams which I feel I know nothing about. Also, guys I should tell you,I and my other group member did rubbish on that group assignment which was NOT a group assignment may I add with the two other members not helping us.Apologies, I got sidetracked; we got 57% a 2:2, we worked so hard for that,anyways, at least we passed.Guys I forgot to tell you I have placement this summer,Wohooo, its actually in London, and I’ll have to wake up extremely early to getthere, is far from the borough I live in. Anyways, I am soo excited and nervous it took me a while to get all the details about my placement though, that’s one problem about my placement company they are sooo slow in communication, but Ido thank them for the opportunity they have given me in being sponsored and being offered a placement. Anyways, enough ranting, I think I’m going to be chillin the first time in my life… and watch a film.

See ya friends
Quirkybun:smile:
Reply 78
31st May 2015 - 7th June 2015

Guys so this week is the week before my exams and I am truly scared of the questions that are coming up in all of them. However, I have been revising for Site Surveying, making sure I know practically everything here is to know, equations, calculation tables for example. . I should also mention that this week I also had a Site SurveyingField trip which makes up the coursework component of the exam. So in actual fact, if I and my group get a good mark in this I will have already passed the module. It’s been enjoyable but some days I feel I am pushing the team behind, I find that I’m just really insecure about myself nowadays, I’m hoping to focus on building up my confidence this semester which should be good, I’m hoping to lose weight, begin cycling; which I just learned to do this week with my church familia and actually finish my driving lessons and learn to drive.

I’ll end it here, with a powerful statement; uni is all about eat sleep revise (when it gets to examtime) !!

Adios
Quirks:u:
Reply 79
7th June 2015 - 14th June 2015

Hello friends,This week I actually had my first exam which was on Thursday it was Site Surveying and some topics which I don’t ever remember listening to, in lectures came up. Like, come on now, I have been to EVERY single lecture, the exam was challenging but I the site surveying coursework will at least give me a 2:1 grade overall, because in the site field trip me and my group got a whooping 83%. Also, I received those two pieces of coursework back…the ones which I finished at 3am, guess what guys? I got a 65% in the BIM coursework that hard one then I got a 70% in the Method of Measurement coursework, a 1st , my first 1st grade piece of the Semester.
Also, guys I’m being set up by one of my male friends with one of his friends which I’ve heard about and fancy, anyway I am looking forward to this, this is an incentive for me to finish my exams on a high.Cheerio guys got to get myself together in terms ofrevision for my next coming exams in Law and Building Production which i’mkinda worried about.

Adios
Your one and only quirks:bunny2:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending