The Student Room Group

Freshers 2014 is what I’m talking about!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
14th June -21st June 2015
Guys I am finished, I had the last of my exams this week, they were okay you know, I revised moderately well, by this I ensured I knew the basics. Okay I’ll give you a break down of the exams I took, the first one this week was actually Principles Of Law which was good (don’t wanna jinx myself) , anyways it was 100% exam which consisted of an excellent MCQ and an essay style question which I did practice at home and I think I answered okay.Also, on Tuesday I had Building Production which I am deeply scared about, I wanted to get a first in this module but because of the crappy group coursework grade we got given. Regardless, the exam was okay, it was straightforward common sensical questions which I feel I couldn’t have answered any better.Anyways, this week has been the best week by far I have enjoyed university soo much, it’s weird because I didn’t realize how much I liked it until I actually started packing all my stuff away in my flat. I went out two days in a row, this I haven’t been able to do (on a larger scale)again since Freshers. I went out on the Tuesday I finished my exams and didn’t drink a lot…which was good I was able to have fun without the drink. Whilst,Wednesday I went to an awesome foam party and literally was so splashed with foam it began constricting my breathing, so many people were slipping and sliding and it was such a memorable night, my drunk hall mate also tried it on which he seems to do a lot on some occasions, I wasn’t fussed anyways he’s a dear hall mate friend and looked after me that time when I was drunk and forced myself on him so he can be allowed. Also, this week, I transferred half of my stuff over to the new flat I’m living in next year, my present flat mate with a car, who helped me do this, I had sooo much stuff so I literally couldn’t do it on my own. I just realized I’m going to miss everyone soo much but I’ll be soo busy this summer with my placement that I hope I don’t realize it. Oh yeah guys I also chose my optional module for nextyear, i’m doing Freeench yayyyyy, I just sent the form out today, anyways nextyear will be a new chapter.

The finale post will be coming out next with some queries and answers about university, to those who have been loyal thank you.
Au Revoir
Quirkdog loves you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 81
Update:The Present
I achieved a 2:1 wohoo, although it’s not a first I am happy with it, I finished placement (which was amazing) a week ago and I have my own little mini personal projects to Increase my confidence, as well as help others through volunteering over the Summer, the weather is on an up though,which means I am hanging out with my friends from London more and I truly feel I have grown up and grown significantly. Also, I have taken to actually realizing I have definitely changed a lot as a person I am not that shy anymore and I feel more self-aware I suppose, I also feel beautiful and although there isn’t anyone in my life at the moment I do know that when he does come along I can truly say I will be able to be the best girlfriend I can be because I am (more) confident in myself and my abilities.Whilst, placement also showed me that I have little self-belief,in fact others believe in me more than I do myself and that needs to change.Actually, I’m actually quite jealous ofthe young fresher’s joining Loughborough this year, I feel if I were given the opportunityof discovering myself like I did do Iwouldn’t hesitate in a heartbeat and I really wish I could do but the realworld awaits and in three more years eeeek I will be graduating.
Quirky Wuirky :smile:
Reply 82
QuirkyBun’s unofficial guide to first year
Okay guy’s this the guide I have been meaning to write this for FOUR weeks sorry I have been pretty busy at placement. Below are some answers to a few questions that were sent to me and a few questions about University I had before I started University …. Enjoy.Disclaimer Some things may come from a Christian perspective as I am indeed a practicing Christian!!

1. What halls did you stay in?
I lived in Harry French a slightly off campus halls which was perfect in every way, the scenery was great, the people were O.K (haha, well you want get along with everyone)and the fresher events I think were awesome.

2. Was first year the best year of your life?
It was certainly an enjoyable year but don’t be fooled by this idea as some people (including me) go into university thinking this and you may be disappointed.

3. Is Life at Loughborough what you thought it would be?
Haha its been definitely more than what I thought it would be there’s soo much to do and girls…. We have a great batch of guys on top of this (LOL) what could actuallygo wrong, but on a serious note, I did feel as though my quirkiness would beseen as a flaw rather than accepted and it has been actually accepted with openarms, in the beginning of the semester I did struggle because I hadn’t learnedconstruction before, however I stuck through and achieved great grades in theSecond semester although I did pass solidly in Semester one with a 2:1 it wasjust barely and I wasn’t really proud of my grades I just accepted them butSecond Semester I was so happy with them as that was the semester I foundmyself and I knew I wouldn’t fail because I had passed the hardest of modulesin Semester one.

4. Is University very intense?
I suppose it depends on the subject you study but boy my course is intense, there’s simply so much to learn but I do advise you keep up with tutorial work because that allows you to recognize if you understand the concepts you’ve been learning and these questions are often repeated in the exam.

5. What do I know about Telford Hall (inLufbra)?
Telford hall from what I hear is a great hall, Fun Fact- many Christians go to that hall…not sure why but they do anyways, its apparently a quite hall though and it’s also quite close to the library, itlooks great though; there’s a grassy area where I’ve seen quite a few people playing ball games and what not. Whilst, its location makes the library easily accessible as it is situated on a shortcut to the library… DOUBLE BONUS.

6. What Churches are there in Loughborough?
There’s quite a few, the one I attend is the Junction Church which is a member of the Hillsong network, (we have church in the Cinema, what could be better )it’s fun and funky and I would highly recommend it, that’s the only church I have been too personally but there a few, I think radical youth is a church, there’s also a Catholic church towards town.

7. What Halls in your opinion is the most ethnically diverse?
I would say Towers is a hall that is most ethnically diverse because there a simply more people there, but everyone should stop looking at race and go with the university and the course , if you’re from an ethnic minority being in this mind set may limit your views of the real world; you may end just limiting yourself to a certain group of people like yourself thinking that you won’t be accepted by an ‘outside’ race but that simply is not true.

8. What is University like?
University is a bunch of things, it’s fun, stressful, fantastic and homely you get to meet all sorts of people but exam time is very stressful you can feel the apprehension in the air if you visit the library during exam time.

9. How are University lessons timetable?
This may be a bit difficult to understand but basically its split into semesters , you have the modules you study each semester across a selection of days which may change weekly per se, a lesson you had on a Monday may be on a Tuesday a next week or you may have a lecture later then earlier another day…however, my church friend said her timetable is different and she studies one module across a week or two then has exams, but that is for a totally different type of course and she didn’t study at Loughborough.

10. Did you get on with your flat mates?
For the most part we did all get along, however, I believe if we carried on living together we would have ended up killing each other most definitely, I do love them but there were some moments I nearly did lose it, washing up was a night mare in the house and we only washed up when we needed to ( I say we but rather I should be saying they), anyways, we would only was up one day before the inspections were carried out on a weekly basis and dishes would be piled to the ceiling (almost literally) before anyone else would lift a finger, but sometimes you gotta look past that stuff and see that we are all learning how to live independently and realize we must all have difficult traits which others have accepted so you need to do the same.

11. Are you forced to drink?
No I wouldnt say forced, Id say encouraged to get the whole university experience but even that is dangerous grounds because you should need to drink to enjoy yourself, all though drinking does give you that buzz, never do anything you dont want to do.

12. Was it hard to make friends at University?
It wasn’t hard to make friends just be yourself and open, although I am a really guarded person myself i just had to let that (or try) to let that go. Come on think about it you almost make friends on a daily basis talking and getting to know people but the trouble is keeping them.

13. What are the best and worst things about university in your opinion?
One best thing about university at the moment is the sheer number of great lecturers you gain so much knowledge and go on sooo many opportunities. Whilst, one bad thing about university s the fact that people can often be fake or two faced to get along with everyone and there’s no need,it must take a lot of energy to be two separate people and who needs that stress I say.

14. How have you found the course so far what are the teaching /facilities / support / field trips like?
I have thoroughly enjoyed the course it was a bit challenging at the start but the access you have to lecturers and numerous opportunities as well as libraries and books just helped me gain the knowledge I needed dramatically.
15. Are some halls of residence better or worse than others?
Haha okay some people may get offended, well I think Towers as a building looks quite chavvy I don’t know about the social side of it though. Whilst, personally for me David Collet is good/bad.. semi-good, its close to the Engineering department (my home) but going out to the union would require aloooong trek or a taxi no one wants either really.

16. What’s the /town / city like?
The Loughborough town is very quite, its great if your coming from a big city like me and need a termly get away it works extremely well, whilst its beautiful in terms of scenery the locals are a bit unique/eccentric, but hey whatever floats your boat.

17. Is University hard?
Personally for me in the beginning it was hard because I had no knowledge of construction before and I was simply starting from scratch, whereas, people I was studying
with had prior knowledge from experience or it ran in the family.

18. Is Hard managing money yourself….how did you do it?
Okay for me managing money was not difficult it just required you to be attentive (some points I even failed) in regards to your spending, I personally created a spreadsheet with how much I wanted to spend a month and my spreadsheet would literally allow me to see how my spending was, if I was going into minus and what not.

19. Does living at home ruin the ‘University experience?
Personally as an individual who lived in halls for first year but had friends who commuted, from what I hear it did not ruin the university experience but rather made it difficult, for example travelling at certain times so as not to miss public transport or even not being able to late parties because of strict parents, my advice would be to accept the limitations you are given and work with them i.e,you can’t stay late at a party but you could probably still attend pre-drinks.But as I said I haven’t had to deal with this limitation so I think you should definitely seek advice from someone who has dealt with this.

-------------------------------------------------------------THE-END---------------------------------------------------------------
Guys I would just liketo say thanks for being loyal followers and you have been amazing,unfortunately this is the last time you will hear from me…maybe, but I haveenjoyed sharing my quirkisms with you, it was a pleasure and I do hope youruniversity experience was as good as mine

Loooooooooove you all
Quirk Quirky Quirks
(edited 8 years ago)
good effort over the past year on your blog and in your grades! It has kept me entertained and continuously excited to come to Loughborough. Results day went well and I got into Loughborough, studying Accounting and Financial Management!
Original post by quirkybun
10th November 16th November
This week has truly been a mix of emotions; I have noticed just how the lack of sleep is affecting me, it’s making me zone out in lectures and stress way more. Anyways, the economics online test didn’t go as well as I wanted; I revised all throughout the week as well as twelve hours on the Saturday before the Monday exam and I managed to get 53% which disappointment me as I believe I could of got at least a 60% if I didn’t freak out every two minutes because my frazzled brain couldn’t think quickly. However, what’s even more annoying is the fact that I got 53% with hard work and others cheated getting as high as 80% by using google…. It feels like the world is unjust at the moment. However, now I am just focusing on seeing where I went wrong and thinking about the exam and the marks I get within the exam I believe should make up for it. Additionally, this coming Monday I am tasked with handing in another piece of coursework Building Environmental Science which was quite interesting; the lighting aspect of the coursework was certainly challenging but I managed to get through the answers and give what I believe was my all within the report regarding heat losses and light.
Haha, on Friday I found out the social was not on that Friday but the coming one. Therefore, I just went out with flat mates and decided to loosen up a bit in terms of alcohol consumption. Additionally, my flat mate typically drank too much to drink and ended up collapsing in the garden of my halls common room; whereby, she had to be carried back by one of our neighbors annnnd on arrival she threw up with her head in our flat’s very own sick bucket getting vomit in her hair to which I had to touch and band….ewww, whilst she too started vomiting on herself and appeared to be extremely in toxicated. Whilst, I was too afraid she would choke on her vomit as she kept collapsing and vomiting on her side which appeared to be obstructing her breathing, but like the good friend I am I corrected her positon. I am really worried about her though; when we started university she wasn’t like this but a number of events have changed her. I was advised to talk to her about the alcohol because I truly feel she is endangering herself if I and others she knew weren’t there.
Oh yess, I forgot to say I managed to purchase two text books to supplement my studies one for structural design ‘basic structures’ and one for economics economics’ by Stephen Ison, who turns out to be the course lecturer.
Sorry I don’t have much exciting stuff going on haha…. I hope my life takes a positive dramatic turn.
Love and hugs for the messages, reading your comments do keep me going.

Adio’s Amigo’s
what course do you take at uni??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending