The Student Room Group

AQA French AS? How hard is it

There's 2 modules

Listening,Reading and Writing worth 140 UMS
Oral worth 60 UMS

How hard are these to achieve top grades?
Reply 1
I did AS and A2 French, and got an A in both. If you genuinely enjoy languages and are prepared to spend a reasonable amount of time reading French newspapers, books, websites etc and are motivated enough to learn/practice grammar rules, then I don't think it's that hard.

The people who struggle are those who think it's an 'easy' option, and who assume that doing well at GCSE guarantees good A-level results - it doesn't! There's quite a big step up between GCSE and AS, but like with all AS/A2 subjects, if you put the work in, then you should be OK :smile:
Original post by RosieEPQ
I did AS and A2 French, and got an A in both. If you genuinely enjoy languages and are prepared to spend a reasonable amount of time reading French newspapers, books, websites etc and are motivated enough to learn/practice grammar rules, then I don't think it's that hard.

The people who struggle are those who think it's an 'easy' option, and who assume that doing well at GCSE guarantees good A-level results - it doesn't! There's quite a big step up between GCSE and AS, but like with all AS/A2 subjects, if you put the work in, then you should be OK :smile:

T'es couramment?
Reply 3
Original post by ASkyFullOfStars
T'es couramment?

Pas encore! Mais je vais étudier l'éducation avec le français en 2015 à Cambridge, donc peut être plus tard dans la vie :smile:
Original post by RosieEPQ
Pas encore! Mais je vais étudier l'éducation avec le français en 2015 à Cambridge, donc peut être plus tard dans la vie :smile:

Bonne chance
Reply 5
Original post by ASkyFullOfStars
Bonne chance

Merci bien :smile:
I did it at AS and got a B, one mark off an A. If you enjoy it then go for it, because the revision won't feel as bad, but I had to work my balls off to get the grade I did. I found the oral exam really easy, but the listening, reading and writing was quite difficult. It's quite subjective though, you might be a lot better at French than me :smile:
Original post by NinjaNicky
I did it at AS and got a B, one mark off an A. If you enjoy it then go for it, because the revision won't feel as bad, but I had to work my balls off to get the grade I did. I found the oral exam really easy, but the listening, reading and writing was quite difficult. It's quite subjective though, you might be a lot better at French than me :smile:

Yeah listening are peoples weak point.thabks anyway

Quick Reply

Latest