The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone I was just wondering about which universities I should apply to, and if I am a good enough applicant to apply to Medicine at all!

At GCSE, I got 6 A*s (in bio, chem, maths, english lit, english lang and physics), and 2 As (in geography and french), and a distinction in ICT OCR National Award Level 2.

At AS-level, I got an A in biology and chemistry, but a B in maths (with mechanics) and physics. I'm dropping physics, and retaking one of the maths modules so hopefully I can get a good A overall in maths.

I'm also doing the EPQ, and I'm hoping for an A*.

I have had work experience in two hospitals and three charity-based volunteering placements. I've also won awards for various school subjects, etc.

Unfortunately, I mucked up the UKCAT and got 630 :/

Which universities do you think I should apply to? Would Keele be an idea or no? I would really appreciate your help!!! :smile:
Original post by kangarooblue
Hi everyone, I've got an unconditional offer from Keele for deferred (September 2015) entry so if anyone has any questions about the application, I'd be happy to help :smile:

Wow! Well done, you should be very proud of yourself :smile:
I have a few questions if you don't mind :colondollar:..
1.) what were your GCSE results?
2.) what did you achieve at A-level in which subjects?
3.) how much work exp/voluntary work did you do?

I got 3A*'s 3A's and 5B's at GCSE, do you think I would stand a chance, because I know I will be competing with people who have gotten 8+ A*'s.:frown:

Thank you in advance :smile:
Definitely applying here! Just trying to polish off the personal statement!
Reply 4
Hi everyone, I've got an unconditional offer from Keele for deferred (September 2015) entry so if anyone has any questions about the application, I'd be happy to help :smile:

We done on getting into Keele! My friend got rejected from here pre-interview. She said its very competitve as they have over 2000 applicants for just over 100 places! Small med school eh! Hope you enjoy the course :smile:
Original post by Huda_medo
Wow! Well done, you should be very proud of yourself :smile:
I have a few questions if you don't mind :colondollar:..
1.) what were your GCSE results?
2.) what did you achieve at A-level in which subjects?
3.) how much work exp/voluntary work did you do?

I got 3A*'s 3A's and 5B's at GCSE, do you think I would stand a chance, because I know I will be competing with people who have gotten 8+ A*'s.:frown:

Thank you in advance :smile:

Thank you very much :smile:
GCSE: 9A*, 1A (Latin), 1B (Music)
A levels: Biology A*, chemistry A, English lit B, psychology AS B, EPQ B
I had very little clinical work experience as I found it practically impossible to get any as I have no contacts in Medicine and everyone turned me down - I had 2 days in total! However, I did 4 weeks residential volunteering with a local mental health charity, visited an elderly lady in her own home for an hour a week for 5 years and worked in Greggs for 18 months so could still "demonstrate the key qualities of a doctor".
Yes, I think you would stand a chance - I don't think keele is that interested in GCSEs, but make sure you check on that and contact them if necessary. What are your predicted grades like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2018
We done on getting into Keele! My friend got rejected from here pre-interview. She said its very competitve as they have over 2000 applicants for just over 100 places! Small med school eh! Hope you enjoy the course :smile:

Thank you :smile: I'm so happy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
can someone please help me. Im still unsure about applying to keele. My ukcat is really low: 630.
gcses are 6A*s and 3A*s B and C
my as are AAAB(chem bio maths geography) and my A2 are AAA(achieved)
my personal statement is not that good
Reply 8
Original post by purplepetal
can someone please help me. Im still unsure about applying to keele. My ukcat is really low: 630.

It's a risk with a low UKCAT but if your PS isn't that stron then I'd suggest you choose somewhere else. Have a look into UEA QUB(you have achieved grades :smile: ) Leeds(BMAT) Cardiff-good luck!
Original post by 2018
It's a risk with a low UKCAT but if your PS isn't that stron then I'd suggest you choose somewhere else. Have a look into UEA QUB(you have achieved grades :smile: ) Leeds(BMAT) Cardiff-good luck!

thanks :smile: i just looked at QUB's website and i need a A in my 4th AS but i have a B :frown:
Reply 10
thanks :smile: i just looked at QUB's website and i need a A in my 4th AS but i have a B :frown:

I think you'd still be able to apply you just wouldn't be awarded 'full' marks for that bit!

Could you improve your personal statement? I think that's a lot more important than UKCAT at Keele sip if you could improve it I think you'd be in with a pretty good chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

Why did you decide to go for deferred entry? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2018
I think you'd still be able to apply you just wouldn't be awarded 'full' marks for that bit!

Ok thank you :smile:
Could you improve your personal statement? I think that's a lot more important than UKCAT at Keele sip if you could improve it I think you'd be in with a pretty good chance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I will try to improve it as much as I can. It's just my ukcat that's really putting me down right now. My grades aren't amazing either.
Hello

Achieved A-Levels: A*A*A*c
GCSE: 7 A*s 3 As
UKCAT: 632.5

Will I still be considered with my c grade at AS??
It says a mininum of grade b at AS :frown: but does my achieved grade make up for it?
Reply 16
Achieved grades don't make up for it unfortunately. You would need that B at AS
Hello! I am looking to apply for Keele (2015 entry). I know they place a significant amount of emphasis on work experience. How much do you guys have? I'm a bit worried! I haven't done your typical placements :/. I'm a university trained Paramedic and have been fully qualified for just over two years. I have worked on the ambulances for the majority of this time but I have recently started working on the car (rapid response vehicle) as an advanced Paramedic. I get to work with and observe doctors on a daily basis but as I say, it's not the usual work experience. Do you think they will want more?
Original post by Panthera1417
Hello! I am looking to apply for Keele (2015 entry). I know they place a significant amount of emphasis on work experience. How much do you guys have? I'm a bit worried! I haven't done your typical placements :/. I'm a university trained Paramedic and have been fully qualified for just over two years. I have worked on the ambulances for the majority of this time but I have recently started working on the car (rapid response vehicle) as an advanced Paramedic. I get to work with and observe doctors on a daily basis but as I say, it's not the usual work experience. Do you think they will want more?

Well on the roles and responsibilities form they want you to give an example of when you've helped someone, and I'm pretty sure you'll have loads of examples for that!! You can also bring in the fact you've observed the work of a doctor first hand, into your personal statement.

I personally think this gives you something different from everyone else, which is very positive!! You can demonstrate teamwork, initiative, communication all through being a Paramedic! Go for it!! :smile:
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Well on the roles and responsibilities form they want you to give an example of when you've helped someone, and I'm pretty sure you'll have loads of examples for that!! You can also bring in the fact you've observed the work of a doctor first hand, into your personal statement.

I personally think this gives you something different from everyone else, which is very positive!! You can demonstrate teamwork, initiative, communication all through being a Paramedic! Go for it!! :smile:

Thank you so much for your feedback! I really appreciate it a lot!