The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I assumed that it was exactly like UCAS pers statement so spaces must be counted as characters.
what kind of hands on experience do they want us to talk about ugh! isn't hands on experience like a way of disqualifying an applicant because we are non medics! i don't get you keele
About to send my form but I'm having trouble pressing the send button :')
Original post by Paras Agarwal
what kind of hands on experience do they want us to talk about ugh! isn't hands on experience like a way of disqualifying an applicant because we are non medics! i don't get you keele

I don't think they mean they want us to be doing stitches and taking blood, as yes that would be inappropriate for a non-medic haha! I think they just mean like actual contact with people rather than just watching a doctor do their job :smile:
Original post by MollyMcFly1
I don't think they mean they want us to be doing stitches and taking blood, as yes that would be inappropriate for a non-medic haha! I think they just mean like actual contact with people rather than just watching a doctor do their job :smile:

can you elaborate please that would be so much helpful! :smile:
Do we write about what we actually did or more about what skills we learned from the experience??
Original post by katherine_b
Does the character count include spaces?

yes
have all of you submitted the form yet? I'm really struggling with mine and I don't want to be the last person to submit it.
Original post by itsmeapril
Do we write about what we actually did or more about what skills we learned from the experience??

It says they only give credit for the responsibilities we're done, so I thought we were writing about what we actually did?? but now im not sure haha
Original post by katie2828
It says they only give credit for the responsibilities we're done, so I thought we were writing about what we actually did?? but now im not sure haha

Thank you..its so hard though and its really annoying because they don't care that much about our personal statement

I took hands on to mean personal care when I applied/interviewed, such as washing a patient, helping dress them and other more personal activities that would require a build up of trust and and respect between yourself and the patient.
I wouldn't bother listing any experiences you didn't learn anything significant from/reaffirm your dedication to and decision to apply for medicine as they'll ask you to expand on your experiences in interviews anyway
Original post by StevieGthemedic
I took hands on to mean personal care when I applied/interviewed, such as washing a patient, helping dress them and other more personal activities that would require a build up of trust and and respect between yourself and the patient.
I wouldn't bother listing any experiences you didn't learn anything significant from/reaffirm your dedication to and decision to apply for medicine as they'll ask you to expand on your experiences in interviews anyway

I was just wondering how old you were? The hospital and nursing home that I volunteer at doesn't allow me to wash and change people until you turn 18 so I'm pretty limited in terms of hands on experience, unless they credit talking ahah
Original post by itsmeapril
Thank you..its so hard though and its really annoying because they don't care that much about our personal statement

I know! in my personal statement I felt like I got my skills I learnt/have across whereas in this form it feels I'm writing a list
I was just wondering how old you were? The hospital and nursing home that I volunteer at doesn't allow me to wash and change people until you turn 18 so I'm pretty limited in terms of hands on experience, unless they credit talking ahah

The home I'm at is the same - they can't expect everyone to be able to do stuff of that nature, and they state that what you write about doesn't have to be medical :smile:

If you've done any volunteering work that should give you stuff to write about...done anything in a care home? Charity work?

I was 16 when I started. Wasn't made aware of any rules against it and the House officers and district nurses were fine with it.

If this is the case then I wouldn't be worried if others have that experience for their applications. Other aspects of care such as mental health are just as important and can be demonstrated with something as simple as keeping someone company and reading the paper to them. I used to chat to a resident about football whenever I was in the home and that ended up making up a large portion of my medical experience mmi station
Reply 196
Does talking to patients count as a 'hand on experience' or is it not worth including?
Also, do we need to relate our experiences to why we want to do medicine in the roles and responsibility form or not?
Reply 197
this might be a silly question, but some of my role titles and my referee role titles/contact details don't fit in the box provided - do you think I will have to shorten the word or will they be viewing it online so it might show up anyway??
Original post by Nina77
Does talking to patients count as a 'hand on experience' or is it not worth including?
Also, do we need to relate our experiences to why we want to do medicine in the roles and responsibility form or not?

talking to the patients does count if you write about if the conversation had a specific point.
Original post by kh1912
this might be a silly question, but some of my role titles and my referee role titles/contact details don't fit in the box provided - do you think I will have to shorten the word or will they be viewing it online so it might show up anyway??

A lot of my titles are not fitting either but they will be able to click onto the boxes and view it in the same format as us.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending