The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Sorry not my AS, my UMS
Reply 181
I may be wrong, but you should call them up and just check. They will be able to amend it if need be or they will let you know otherwise. Maybe it was just my school at the time but I think an uncertified AS level is a subject you're taking to A2 isn't it? When you drop a subject, you receive an AS qualification? I'm not sure, it's a while since I've done A levels so I'm probably not the best to ask but I'm just telling you from my experience.
Reply 182
The admissions statement says;

On UCAS Apply, ALL A level candidates MUST declare their individual module UMS scores in the box marked“Other” adjacent to the module information. UMS scores must be recorded as actual score achieved/maximumscore possible for the module (numerator/denominator for each module taken). Candidates with certificatedA1/AS level grades should enter their UMS score for each module as above, and their grade for the A1/AS leveloverall. See illustration.
Original post by jalwxx
The admissions statement says;

On UCAS Apply, ALL A level candidates MUST declare their individual module UMS scores in the box marked“Other” adjacent to the module information. UMS scores must be recorded as actual score achieved/maximumscore possible for the module (numerator/denominator for each module taken). Candidates with certificatedA1/AS level grades should enter their UMS score for each module as above, and their grade for the A1/AS leveloverall. See illustration.

On Sheffields website it says "If AS Levels have not been certificated UMS scores will be required"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 184
It used to be both certified and non-certified for sure - they said it in all of our rejection feedback!
But again, that was for 2011 entry and a lot has changed! So just check (are you sure your school has certified your AS levels?)
Original post by jalwxx
It used to be both certified and non-certified for sure - they said it in all of our rejection feedback!
But again, that was for 2011 entry and a lot has changed! So just check (are you sure your school has certified your AS levels?)

Ohh okay, yeah it probably has changed.
What do you mean by certified?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 186
Okay so from what I understand, if you drop an A level after taking it to AS it then becomes certified - as in you obtain that AS qualification.
If you carry your AS levels to A2, they aren't certified qualifications unless you drop them and obtain an AS or you finish them and gain an A2.
I'm not sure - that's just what I thought due to my experiences!
Reply 187
I've applied for the MBiolSci (4 year course) as my 5th option.
Is that very competitive? How many international students apply for that?
Original post by jalwxx
Okay so from what I understand, if you drop an A level after taking it to AS it then becomes certified - as in you obtain that AS qualification.
If you carry your AS levels to A2, they aren't certified qualifications unless you drop them and obtain an AS or you finish them and gain an A2.
I'm not sure - that's just what I thought due to my experiences!

I am carrying on with all 4 so does that mean I need to put my UMS in for all four of them?
If yes OMG I DIDNT DO THAT! Can I call UCAS up tomorrow and change it or is it too late??!?!??? :confused::frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Muhaha_6
I am carrying on with all 4 so does that mean I need to put my UMS in for all four of them?
If yes OMG I DIDNT DO THAT! Can I call UCAS up tomorrow and change it or is it too late??!?!??? :confused::frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly, breathe and calm down!! If they want your UMS scores they will email you and ask them! They know you cant put both the module grade and ums score so as long as you have one, I'm sure it will be fine! :biggrin: just relax :P
Original post by sarahfrost97
Firstly, breathe and calm down!! If they want your UMS scores they will email you and ask them! They know you cant put both the module grade and ums score so as long as you have one, I'm sure it will be fine! :biggrin: just relax :P

Thank youu! :smile:
I'm just really worried that I might be rejected just because I didn't include my UMS..I'm going to call UCAS up tomorrow and see what they say :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 191
Call Sheffield first - their admissions staff are really lovely, I had a chat with one of the tutors today about some things I wanted to clarify.

Here is their admissions document from 2012 (so I presume it's changed now as this isn't included in 2015 policy)

http://www.shef.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.198034.1343217412!/file/ADMISSIONSPOLICY_public.pdf

They give a picture at the bottom showing how they want applicants to put in their UMS but since this is not included in this years perhaps their policy has changed as I suspected.
Hey guys.

I'm a current medical student at Sheffield and can confirm that if you have ABBB (or higher) at AS and will receive AS certificates for those examinations taken, you will not be required to enter your UMS marks. You will however be required to enter your AS grades in your UCAS application.

Those of you who have not completed full AS levels will need to include their UMS scores achieved at every exam module taken. The admission office will judge if these modules are equivalent to ABBB at AS.

I would still advise you to contact the admission office if still in doubt or for confirmation purposes.

Hope this helps,

frogs. x
Reply 193
MBiolSci anyone? :frown:
Original post by jalwxx
Call Sheffield first - their admissions staff are really lovely, I had a chat with one of the tutors today about some things I wanted to clarify.

Here is their admissions document from 2012 (so I presume it's changed now as this isn't included in 2015 policy)

http://www.shef.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.198034.1343217412!/file/ADMISSIONSPOLICY_public.pdf

They give a picture at the bottom showing how they want applicants to put in their UMS but since this is not included in this years perhaps their policy has changed as I suspected.

I just called them up and they said that as long as I put my grades down for each modules I'm fine (which I did do :biggrin:).
So its all sorted now; thanks!! :smile::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 195
Does anyone know anything about the competition for MBiolSci at Sheffields?! UCAS code C433? :confused:
Original post by Muhaha_6
I just called them up and they said that as long as I put my grades down for each modules I'm fine (which I did do :biggrin:).
So its all sorted now; thanks!! :smile::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no, I only put down my overall subject grades for AS and A Level, would they accept that?? Should I call them up and ask as well? :confused:
I'm so worried :frown::frown::frown:
Reply 197
Has anyone got an acknowledgement email yet?
Hi all,
I called Sheffield admissions the other week about module grades.
They said the overall AS grade would suffice if your grades have been "cashed in" i.e. they have been certified. You usually receive the certificates for these grades around October/November.
If your results have not been cashed in you were required to put the UMS grade.
Hope that helps.
Original post by SpiralGalaxy
Oh no, I only put down my overall subject grades for AS and A Level, would they accept that?? Should I call them up and ask as well? :confused:
I'm so worried :frown::frown::frown:

Ahh I'm not too sure about that, call them up asap! Even if they do need it, they won't start looking at our applications properly until they've got our UKCAT (beginning of Nov) so I think you might be able to contact UCAS and add your grades in.. Not entirely sure though :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending