The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jaska
Are there advantages in good academics? Or is it just a cut off too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well according to the response Sheffield gave me "Those who meet the minimum academic criteria and UKCAT cut off will progress to an assessment stage. An interview will depend on the strength of personal statement and reference and the score given at assessment"

So I guess the academics are a cut-off but I need to know how important the reference is relative to the statement, because I find that teacher's references are almost all the same generic praises.
Original post by Jaska
Well what are your gcses like?

9A*, 1A, 2distinction*, 1 distinction
Original post by Natalierm2707
9A*, 1A, 2distinction*, 1 distinction

Haha just wondering, are you not considering birmingham med with those good gcse grades?
Original post by CVK Abhiroop
Haha just wondering, are you not considering birmingham med with those good gcse grades?

they give priority in the application process to people who have got all A grades at AS, which I do not have, I have AAABB and so I wouldnt stand a great chance at birmingham.
they give priority in the application process to people who have got all A grades at AS, which I do not have, I have AAABB and so I wouldnt stand a great chance at birmingham.

Ahh damn, how about Cardiff?
Do you have to put your modules into UCAS for sheffield or is overall grade enough?
Original post by CVK Abhiroop
Ahh damn, how about Cardiff?

I didnt particularly like the university when i visited, and its very far away from Manchester where I live, Ideally I want to stay no more then a couple of hours away.
Im applying to Lancaster, Liverpool, Keele and sheffield
Reply 67
Can someone explain to what the selection process is like please?
I didnt particularly like the university when i visited, and its very far away from Manchester where I live, Ideally I want to stay no more then a couple of hours away.
Im applying to Lancaster, Liverpool, Keele and sheffield

Haha fair enough :biggrin: all the best!
Original post by alexSH
Can someone explain to what the selection process is like please?

Haha which process? Application to medicine process?
What weighting do sheffield place on the ukcat before and after the interview? I heard they aren't too bothered about it! Hope they aren't as I only got 652 and band 1 sjt
Original post by asdfghjkl10
What weighting do sheffield place on the ukcat before and after the interview? I heard they aren't too bothered about it! Hope they aren't as I only got 652 and band 1 sjt

Haha I think for before interview, they just need the cut off of 2600, and after which everything else comes into play such as your acads and interview and stuff
If I'm applying to Sheffield do I need to declare my module grades or is the overall grade enough???
hey guys is it safe to apply to sheffield with a ukcat of 2640?
How do i declare my module UMS? As you can't enter both the module grade and UMS adjacently :/
Reply 74
Any graduates applying here? Do we need to declare our a level ums scores?
Reply 75
Original post by piece-of-me
hey guys is it safe to apply to sheffield with a ukcat of 2640?

Yes. As long as you meet the cut-off which you do you will be considered :smile:
Original post by 2018
Yes. As long as you meet the cut-off which you do you will be considered :smile:

do you reckon the cut off will be a lot higher than the last year tho? since i believe it wwas 2600 last year?:smile:
Reply 77
Original post by piece-of-me
do you reckon the cut off will be a lot higher than the last year tho? since i believe it wwas 2600 last year?:smile:

It certainly won't be higher than last year!
Reply 78
Hey guys,

Third time Med applicant here - whooooo! Lol. Can't believe I'm applying for the third time - it's extremely frustrating - but I know it's what I want to do - I'm just praying declining Biomed at Kings two years running hasn't been a huge mistake...

I applied to sheffield last year and scored a B on their ps scale thing which left me just missing out on an interview - dammit! I'm hoping the bits about working as a HCA and other activities that I've put in this year will push me up to interview standard.

Also - I don't remember doing it last year - but do we have to declare ums scores or not then...?

Good luck - I know I'll need it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Guys, I really don't know which universities to choose from UEA, Keele, Sheffield, Exeter and Hull York.
Which universities do I have the most chance of getting an interview?

GCSEs:9A* 1A 1B
AS:5As and A* in EPQ
A2 predictions: 4A*
UKCAT: 697.5
Lots of work experience

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending