The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

They were writing the scores on paper. I'm guessing these might get analysed further and go to panel review?

Other unis I went to used I pads to score as we talk so they can skip that data input step. I'm guessing completely here but that makes sense to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by topgear1987
They were writing the scores on paper. I'm guessing these might get analysed further and go to panel review?

Other unis I went to used I pads to score as we talk so they can skip that data input step. I'm guessing completely here but that makes sense to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yes, I noticed that! They circled a number which had 'excellent', 'very good' etc... next to it! I guess they would have to manually enter in the scores and then the head of admissions would make his final decision!!!

Does anyone know if this is solely based on interview performance or overall suitability??? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Solely interview performance. Though they did say we would be assessed from the moment you walked in the door but whether they were also judging me on clearing away my papers, drinking too much water or picking my nose I don't quite know.

(I didn't pick my nose )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Solely interview performance. Though they did say we would be assessed from the moment you walked in the door but whether they were also judging me on clearing away my papers, drinking too much water or picking my nose I don't quite know.

(I didn't pick my nose )

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really annoying as due to travel problems I got there at 10:50 (my interview was at 11:15 but they asked us to be 30 mins early). It also can't help that I was dying for a wee and one of the first things I asked about was where the loo was!!
Probably not the greatest first impression - hopefully it won't affect my chances too much :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

(I didn't pick my nose )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahahaha, I was wondering if there was someone watching me the whole time! The lady who checked my passport was absolutely lovely so it don't know if she was checking or not :P I arrived a bit too early so I was sitting there awkwardly for a bit then some other interviewees came and I just spoke to them! I hardly think there was anything to assess :P

Ah well, it is just that waiting process all over again... Hopefully it is good news though, good luck to everyone! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by picnmix
That's really annoying as due to travel problems I got there at 10:50 (my interview was at 11:15 but they asked us to be 30 mins early). It also can't help that I was dying for a wee and one of the first things I asked about was where the loo was!!
Probably not the greatest first impression - hopefully it won't affect my chances too much :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL imagine them writing 'went for a wee' on an assessor's sheet hahaha! :P I honestly think they just meant that if you were mean to the lady at the door/one of your interviewers, not petty things like whether you went to the toilet or got a drink! I actually had a coffee because I was told there were drinks on the table haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AnnaK45
LOL imagine them writing 'went for a wee' on an assessor's sheet hahaha! :P I honestly think they just meant that if you were mean to the lady at the door/one of your interviewers, not petty things like whether you went to the toilet or got a drink! I actually had a coffee because I was told there were drinks on the table haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha! It was just the fact that I probably looked a bit flustered lol. AND YOU NEVER KNOW - THESE ARE PLACES FOR MEDICAL SCHOOL (and from previous experience they reject for some of the most ridiculous reasons!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by picnmix
(and from previous experience they reject for some of the most ridiculous reasons!!

Story time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha, I hope not anyway! :P

Where else have you guys applied? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by picnmix

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they seriously don't give you a seat for having to pee, that'd be just atrocious hahah
Original post by frogs r everywhere
If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I had a Q&A session quite a few pages back which was rather useful for some (I would hope anyways haha!) I'm a first year medic here at sheffield :smile:

Hey, I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about the student union at sheffield and what you think of it since I havent had a chance to have a look around yet. Also what's sheffield's medsoc like? How often do you have events? Thanks :smile:
Original post by AnnaK45
The sheet given to interviewees said that we would all probably hear about offers/rejections at the end of March :smile: Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ouch, last year I got my offer less than two weeks after the interview. I guess they just want to make the process even more stressful this year! :tongue:
Original post by frogs r everywhere

By word of mouth, after our glorious 3 month summer holiday in our first year, they indeed disappear in later phases. You may very well be correct. :beard:

I was wondering if you could sell sheffield (the city, the uni and the med school to me). I've been up there twice now and really liked it, though it's not something I can put a finger on, the place just has something about it. However, I've got an offer from Edinburgh which I love because it's such an amazing place. So, if I do manage to obtain an offer from sheffield, I think I'm going to have a very difficult decision to make...so could you sell it to me? Why should I go to sheffield?
Also are there any intercalation options for the degree?
Original post by LookIts_Liam
Also are there any intercalation options for the degree?

Hi Liam :smile: Regarding your first question, I think it is good that you are asking a current student (I am in your position too so I can't accurately 'sell' it to you as such) but perhaps the best way to do is so write a list of why you want to go to either place and the place with the most positives you go for? If you haven't visited Edinburgh for a post offer day that would also be wise. You could partly leave it down to fate as well? Hopefully not, but it may be that you don't get an offer from Sheffield, in which case it would be an easy decision. Overall though, it is definitely quite a personal decision because something you might like/hate someone else might feel the opposite about and don't forget that you would also have to be at Sheffield/Edinburgh for five years too! Maybe look at societies and stuff that are tailored to your interests too?

Oh and yes, you can definitely intercalate at Sheffield! There is quite a bit on their website that you can look at regarding that :smile: Hope this helps a bit! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will Sheffield give out all offers/rejections in one go or do you think they'll be spread throughout March?
Original post by tomevans1
Will Sheffield give out all offers/rejections in one go or do you think they'll be spread throughout March?

Just had a stalk through last years thread and it seems they gave them out over quite a long period of time. Last year they started handing them out quite early in mid feb, all the way up until mid march where they said they aimed to get them all out by March 15th.
Obviously they havent handed them out that early this year but maybe its an indication that they will spread them out! Either way the waiting is tough. Who else are you waiting for an offer from?
Original post by JakeDaw
Just had a stalk through last years thread and it seems they gave them out over quite a long period of time. Last year they started handing them out quite early in mid feb, all the way up until mid march where they said they aimed to get them all out by March 15th.
Obviously they havent handed them out that early this year but maybe its an indication that they will spread them out! Either way the waiting is tough. Who else are you waiting for an offer from?

They were really late this year with inviting people for interview so I'm assuming everything is approximately going to happen late March...
Original post by JakeDaw

just Sheffield and UEA, yourself?
Original post by tomevans1
just Sheffield and UEA, yourself?

Only got Sheffield left now, I got rejected from Leeds post-interview last week. Well good luck with those two unis!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending