The Student Room Group

'Ethnicity' question?

Ok, so I have been filling out forms for a long time and most of these forms as for my ethnicity. I'm 1/4 Black Caribbean as my grandfather is from Barbados. My father is 1/2 white 1/2 Caribbean, my mum is white so I'm 1/4 Caribbean and 3/4 white.

I never know what to put down as my ethnicity? Do I put 'Mixed: White and Black Caribbean' or do I put 'White'. I'm not technically white, I'm quite tanned but I don't look Caribbean either.

Quite a few people have mixed ethnicity but where down the line do you stop saying you're 'mixed' and start saying you're white. (Not necessarily white but you catch my drift)?

It seems like a stupid question but I honestly have no clue!

So your opinions please!
Shame there isn't a 'special snowflake' option.
White other
If I were you I'd put Mixed: White and Black Caribbean. In my opinion despite being 3/4 White you still have a Black Caribbean component to your ethnicity and you should therefore account for it.
Reply 4
Original post by Technetium
If I were you I'd put Mixed: White and Black Caribbean. In my opinion despite being 3/4 White you still have a Black Caribbean component to your ethnicity and you should therefore account for it.

Obviously I don't mind either way, but people 'see me' as being white. You wouldn't know any difference unless I told you. If I tick that box people would probably expect someone darker then me, like my father who is half and half? I just feel like I'm not Caribbean enough for the mixed box, but not white enough for the white box!

I'll tick the mixed one anyway.
Original post by Annaleigh_B
Obviously I don't mind either way, but people 'see me' as being white. You wouldn't know any difference unless I told you. If I tick that box people would probably expect someone darker then me, like my father who is half and half? I just feel like I'm not Caribbean enough for the mixed box, but not white enough for the white box!

I'll tick the mixed one anyway.

It shouldn't be about how people 'see' you it should be about how you 'see' yourself. Mixed race people have a range of complexions and people should not limit their expectations to a person with a caramel/darker skin tone. Don't worry about the expectations of others regarding your race. You know who you are and where you come from. That's all that matters.:smile:
Reply 6
That's true. I always look at it as how other people would see me, not how I see myself. Just gotta embrace my race! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending