The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chazwomaq
Bumping this thread as a new university academic year rolls around. It's a long thread already so don't worry about asking a question that may already have been asked.

What's the toughest challenge you face as a lecturer?
Reply 981
Bumping this thread as a new university academic year rolls around. It's a long thread already so don't worry about asking a question that may already have been asked.

What's the best thing to do on a gap year?
Original post by iEthan
What's the toughest challenge you face as a lecturer?

The hardest part of the job is getting funding for research via grants. They are a lot of work, and the chances of it being successful are very small. Also attracting good postgraduate students to supervise is hard (because funding is scarce).
Original post by Kyx
What's the best thing to do on a gap year?

I don't really see the point of them. You're just delaying getting on in life. But maybe some people do great things. Hard to think of any examples off the top of my head though.

I suppose if you have a real talent that could take you somewhere you could explore it for a year and (e.g. playing professional sport or chess or something). But that's only going to apply to a tiny minority.

Working? Plenty of time to do that after uni when you have some qualifications and can earn more.

Travelling? You're just a rich kid wanting to party while you're young.

Volunteering? Don't kid yourself that you're doing anyone any good. It's still a holiday but you get to sound sanctimonious.
Reply 984
I don't really see the point of them. You're just delaying getting on in life. But maybe some people do great things. Hard to think of any examples off the top of my head though.

I suppose if you have a real talent that could take you somewhere you could explore it for a year and (e.g. playing professional sport or chess or something). But that's only going to apply to a tiny minority.

Working? Plenty of time to do that after uni when you have some qualifications and can earn more.

Travelling? You're just a rich kid wanting to party while you're young.

Volunteering? Don't kid yourself that you're doing anyone any good. It's still a holiday but you get to sound sanctimonious.

I have to because my bank account still isn't sorted, so I'm waiting on that :moon:
Original post by Kyx
I have to because my bank account still isn't sorted, so I'm waiting on that :moon:

OK, fair enough. In that case, work in a field relevant to your degree or career plans if you can.
Reply 986
OK, fair enough. In that case, work in a field relevant to your degree or career plans if you can.

I'll try to work at NASA. If not, I'll have to make do.

Spoiler

Original post by Kyx
I'll try to work at NASA. If not, I'll have to make do.

Spoiler

One of my classmates worked for NASA. Now he works for SpaceX.
Reply 988
One of my classmates worked for NASA. Now he works for SpaceX.

OMG I have to know who!
What it says on the tin.

How would you feel if a student ate cereal in your lecture?
Reply 990
Original post by Lissy14

I would be eating cereal, chocolate, crisps, biscuits, and a burger. For breakfast.
Original post by Lissy14

Food is not allowed in lecture halls where I work so she would be sent out. Even if it were allowed, it would be horribly rude. Especially if it were rice krispies.
Food is not allowed in lecture halls where I work so she would be sent out. Even if it were allowed, it would be horribly rude. Especially if it were rice krispies.

but porridge would be very quiet to eat ? *
Sorry if this has already been asked but,

Have you always been good at presenting or is it something you developed over the years?

Did you always know you wanted to be a lecturerer?

How much preparation do you do for each lecture you give?

How much do you enjoy your job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by the bear
but porridge would be very quiet to eat ? *

If you eat porridge in my lecture, you gonna do some porridge.
If you eat porridge in my lecture, you gonna do some porridge.

Original post by Bioluminescence1
Sorry if this has already been asked but,

Don't worry - I don't expect everyone to read 50 pages!

Have you always been good at presenting or is it something you developed over the years?

I have always quite liked it (relative to others), but I also think I have improved with experience. I used to include too much info and expect everyone to follow me, but now I go for a less is more approach.

Did you always know you wanted to be a lecturerer?

I wanted to be a scientist for a long time, since school. I wanted to be a lecturer once I had started my PhD so mid 20s..

How much preparation do you do for each lecture you give?

The first time I write them it's a lot of work - 20 hours per hour taught, something like that. But after you've written it, it's a lot less just to update and tweak them each year.

How much do you enjoy your job?

I do enjoy it. I think it's a good job compared to many others. There are downsides too but really I can't complain.
I Guess I would like re assurance but I prefer honesty.

So assuming you have a mature student apply for your course, they have the following back ground sub par GCSE results Sub Par A levels went to a university and dropped out, went to a polytechnic at a later point and got 2:1

they have decided they want to change there life they decide to do A levels in three topics related to your degree program, first year they sit just 3 exams and totally flunk them.

they then res sit these 3 exams and sit fresh exams to complete between 1 and a half / two a levels. then they sit exams in the following year too have finally completed between 3-4 A levels.

They do really well in all exams from this point. I dont know your specific grade requirements because dont know which uni your at. But assuming they match or significantly exceed the usual grade requirements you ask for.

considering both scenarios they apply when half way through, with the 1 and a half A levels

and other scenario they apply with all the new grades.

Do you flat out reject them because of their academic past, or you make an offer/give a place?

I can feel comfortable asking this because all info will be on my ucas anyway so even if you were able to identify me specifically you would have found out anyway, but I will be applying for a different subject anyway.

I just kind of wanted to know where i stand I do have some Mitigating factors but in fairness so does everyone and I kind of should just blame myself and knuckle down from now on.

again I am definitely not applying for psychology but assuming I applied for your course with that back ground would you likely make me an offer or not?
How's lecturing first-years right after freshers??? Do a lot of students turn up drunk/half-dead from the night before?
Original post by Luke7456

I don't do admissions myself, but if your A levels exceed our requirements then you have a great chance of an offer. We do given special consideration to mature applicants and those from "non-traditional routes" - often amounting to easier offers.

Latest