The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT Test - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beasttty
I GOT AN INTERVIEW HOLY FFFFFFF "Further to your application to read Computer Science, I have been informed by the tutors that they would like you to visit Magdalen for an interview this December."

Congratulations!! :biggrin:
I GOT AN INTERVIEW HOLY FFFFFFF "Further to your application to read Computer Science, I have been informed by the tutors that they would like you to visit Magdalen for an interview this December."

Wonderful. Assume Magdalene Oxford not Cambridge? We had a Cambridge post earlier.
Original post by defleur
Congratulations!! :biggrin:

Thank you!

Original post by Hopefulbunny
Wonderful. Assume Magdalene Oxford not Cambridge? We had a Cambridge post earlier.

Yeah Oxford haha, Thanks

Original post by GorlimtheUnhappy
Congratulations - best of luck for the interviews!

Thank you :biggrin:

Wow! Well done pal!
Nope. But when anyone does, you can bet they'll come straight here and brag about it.

:lolz:

On a serious note, congratulations on getting an interview.
Original post by ManUtdFan1990
:lolz:

On a serious note, congratulations on getting an interview.

Haha thank you. Oh the irony. I was almost sure when I posted that I had a low chance of getting an interview

Did you receive it by post or email?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CD223
Anyone had an interview invite yet for computer science?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My friend got one today for CS at Oriel College.
Original post by defleur
Did you receive it by post or email?

All should be email
Original post by CD223
Anyone had an interview invite yet for computer science?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm starting to see decisions coming through on the system from some colleges. (Other colleges haven't made them yet.)

Once all the decisions for a subject at a college have been made, the college send out their batch of letters/emails. So, each college tends to do them in a different order. This is nothing to worry about. But it can mean that there can be quite a few days difference between one college and another for a single subject area. Most email but it can be post, or both. It really depends on the college.

All the colleges will get back to their candidates. It just takes a while. It's an extremely busy time of year for the administrators.
Original post by physicsmaths
u gt anything from impeeial yet bro? i aint got nothing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing yet. Although, because people are getting interviews for Oxford, I'd expect a decision from imperial within in the next week or so.
Original post by DomStaff
Nothing yet. Although, because people are getting interviews for Oxford, I'd expect a decision from imperial within in the next week or so.

Yh hopefully we get in straight ,

Posted from TSR Mobile
PM me if you're going to Magdalen for interviews
Would Maths for Oxford take longer than CS then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jonathanyyt
Would Maths for Oxford take longer than CS then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. Betting on a week today for Oxford maths.
What about JMC? Have you made all decisions for joint schools?

Congratulations. Out of interest, how well do you think you did on the MAT?
Original post by ThatPerson
Congratulations. Out of interest, how well do you think you did on the MAT?

Thanks and not very well. I think I got about 50-55.
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
I'm starting to see decisions coming through on the system from some colleges. (Other colleges haven't made them yet.)

Once all the decisions for a subject at a college have been made, the college send out their batch of letters/emails. So, each college tends to do them in a different order. This is nothing to worry about. But it can mean that there can be quite a few days difference between one college and another for a single subject area. Most email but it can be post, or both. It really depends on the college.

All the colleges will get back to their candidates. It just takes a while. It's an extremely busy time of year for the administrators.

Thank you so much for the very informative reply. I feel more at ease now, and appreciate its probably an equally (if not more so) pressured time for the poor tutors!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gavinlowe
It's the college that makes the decision. OxfordMathsDept and I suggest default thresholds for shortlisting, based on MAT scores and number of A*s at GCSE. However, colleges are encouraged to look carefully at candidates around the borderline, taking into account other factors such as contextual information. If a college goes against the default, they have to explain the reasons for their decision. I think this scheme works well: it ensures candidates are treated pretty consistently, regardless of the college they applied to; but it allows tutors to use their professional judgement.

Gavin

Thanks for the informative response! I was correct in thinking that the dept sets a rough default threshold, but I was unsure whether or not or how much say the college tutors at the college applied to have in the decision. As a subject tutor yourself, might I ask your personal opinion on how much chance an applicant who is retaking modules during a gap year, one with and without fairly significant contextual data, has at being invited to interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending