The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Critical Thinking really won't take up too much of your time. I do it at College, and I only have 1 lesson (1hr 20mins) of it per week, and no homework. There is really no actual content to learn - there are various techniques of how to identify conclusions, assumptions, flaws etc, but most of it is common sense.
Its not exactly the most exciting subject, but universities do like to see it as an extra as it can help to show natural ability, rather then how much you can cram revision.
Give it a go, you've nothing to lose by trying
Reply 2
angietash
In your opinions is this respected as an AS, and is it a lot of work? I've looked at a past paper and it looks quite easy, I'm pretty good at argument construction/analysis/logic, so I'm wondering whether it would be worth taking through distance learning? (on top of the standard 4 + general studies)
Any thoughts?

I did it without a teacher..all you need is a good text book to study and the rest is really easy....
Reply 3
GO FOR IT!

I'm only in year 11, i do critical thinking through distance learning a year early. It can be boring, but i do find it useful, especially as i would like to be a lawyer, and the new laws tests are based around it.
We have just done a mock for it, and i got a c! which you have to admit is quite good considering i'm only a gcse student, so i'm sure you could do really really good, and although i should not rub it in, i am not one to do that much work in the subject, as i have other things to attend to.
We have a big folder with 26 units in, you just have to look at validity etc, and a book.i've forgot what it is though because i don't read it! :rolleyes:

Go for it, it s quite a useful subject and complements skills in other subjects, such as history etc
i dont think it is too respected though
Reply 5
amrou
i dont think it is too respected though

It is the best possible subject to study if you want to enter law..many of the entrance questions are based upon the skills in CT...
oh ya - i think it is good for law, but dunno doesnt soumd right
Reply 7
I would say it is fairly respected..put it this way, i am on the gifted and talented list, and our school was funded with some money for any g&t people. Before ct i did AS science for public understanding, what i am getting at is i'm sure our school (especially as it is quite poor :rolleyes: ) would not waste valuable money funding g&t students to do an AS level a year early which is not respected...(it costs £500 per student to do this and there is something like 10 students!) That is like saying lets fund our students to jump up and down on bouncy castles. Also in the GCSE year they would rather us concentrate on gcse's than an invaluable as level (if that were the case)
Also, our teacher is a philosophy professor or something like that :confused:, and so surely there is some respectability in it. Especially if Law tests are based around it..Law is an hard subject.

In saying all this there are probably FLAWS in my argument :rolleyes: hehe
Reply 8
zazy
It is the best possible subject to study if you want to enter law..many of the entrance questions are based upon the skills in CT...

Oxbridge don't actually look at CT too favourably - they are rather indifferent to it - they are concerned that it teaches you to think in one way only.
Reply 9
Umm i never thought of it like that....what exactly is OXbridge looking for then>?? :confused:

From my experience of ct, i'm not sure if it does make you think in one way?? Umm maybe it does.
Reply 10
Lord Huntroyde
Oxbridge don't actually look at CT too favourably - they are rather indifferent to it - they are concerned that it teaches you to think in one way only.

yes, but it also teaches you how to read an article properly and question its validity based upon your analytical skills...
Reply 11
zazy
yes, but it also teaches you how to read an article properly and question its validity based upon your analytical skills...

Well this is what Oxbridge professors said at the Conference, it wouldn't disadvantage you, but it wouldn't advantage you in their eyes.
Reply 12
Two of my friends do crit thinking. went and sat in their lesson the other day.. they do absolutely no work watsoever!,, apparently its always like it there!
Reply 13
It is very respected I think, and also very difficult...I did the critical thinking exam last year and got a C! (my first C ever!). Admittedy I did no work for it so I'm retaking it. My Cambridge entrance exam had questions that were very critical thinking paper-style. So by no means is it mickey mouse!
Reply 14
That is strange, because considering their own LAW tests are based around Critical thinking (more or less), isn't it a bit contradictory of them to say oh well it doesn't make you have advantages to have studied a subject that is based around our own law tests?

Mind you that is the same scenario as the "don't study as law" when you want to be a lawyer?? :confused: all very baflfing ot me! :tongue:
Reply 15
Lord Huntroyde
That is not true.
Reply 16
Adhsur
That is not true.

That's what we were told concerning Law.
Reply 17
gemma.....
That is strange, because considering their own LAW tests are based around Critical thinking (more or less), isn't it a bit contradictory of them to say oh well it doesn't make you have advantages to have studied a subject that is based around our own law tests?

Mind you that is the same scenario as the "don't study as law" when you want to be a lawyer?? :confused: all very baflfing ot me! :tongue:

Yes, you are right. but i also heard the opposite before now and how they value it significantly.......
Anyway the skills you learn from it come into use in your everyday life..
Reply 18
Lord Huntroyde
That's what we were told concerning Law.
I think Critical Thinking is favoured regardless - it is an extra exam result which shows deep analytical skills and not just textbook-cram. I'm sure things like working out subtle flaws in reasoning would be very useful for subjects like Law, Philosophy, or any subject for that matter.
Reply 19
I also think CT was really enjoyable and interesting to learn.

Latest