The Student Room Group

Nervous about freshers week

I'm going to university in a few weeks and I am looking forward to it, however I am not particularly good at speaking to new people and I am undoubtedly going to be slightly shy in my first few weeks. Will being slightly withdrawn hold me back?
Same! I don't think you should worry too much though because plenty of people there are going to be on the same boat. :smile:
I'm in the same situation :frown: I also don't like to drink or be surrounded by people drinking so I feel like I'm going to be the odd one out in every respect :/
I'm going to uni in a few weeks too and suffer from shyness and also struggle to speak to new people, So I'm quite nervous too. However, the thing you need to remember (and I'm trying to keep in mind myself!) is that nearly everyone is in the same boat as you when it comes to freshers (As hamstersausage said), sure most people may not be as shy or withdrawn but freshers, and starting also at uni itself, is nerve wrecking for anyone, especially for those leaving home for the first time.

I think the key might be, and this is what I'm trying to do, is to concentrate on how much you are looking forward to it then the nerves may lessen. It doesn't cure it completely, but it helps, in my case anyway (I don't want to generalize, as others may feel different!)

It's comforting to know though that there are others who are feeling just as nervous about freshers week, I was getting worried! :smile:
(Sorry to blab on!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending