The Student Room Group

Parking for first year (motorbike)

I am going to be joining the university, as a first year student. What I wanted to ask was is parking for motorbikes contested much? I plan to ask the university soon but wanted a current/ past students opinion/
Get an almax chain mate and chain it next to an immovable object. Some organisations won't mind if you chained your bicycles to the bicycle poles.
Reply 2
Original post by Fali94
I am going to be joining the university, as a first year student. What I wanted to ask was is parking for motorbikes contested much? I plan to ask the university soon but wanted a current/ past students opinion/

Different unis have different parking policies.

My uni won't allow any student parking on campus or at halls without a permit. They have a car oarking contractor to enforce the parking restrictions. The only people who can get permits are those who live more than 7 miles away from campus, anyone with a disability which makes public transport impossible, or those with children under 14 who need to be taken to/from school. Most of those will need to pay £400 a year for the permit. All roads around campus and Halls are no parking up to such a distance that ot makes more sense to catch a bus to get around. There are no public car parks within walking distance of campus, although most of the halls are near (expensive) public car parks.

The rules apply to any personal transport other than cycles.
At my uni you can apply for a permit for £240 (they only give out 50 student permits a year though, and we have something like 16,000 students) or you can buy daily parking vouchers for £1 each. Makes way more sense to buy the daily vouchers because even going in every day of term wouldn't cost £240 a year haha. I don't do either of those though, there is a free parking bit in a residential area that is a 2 minute walk from campus, so I park there.

Unless you mean for halls, then I have no idea. I have a few friends who had their cars at halls and had spaces there, but I'm not sure if they were allocated on a first come first serve basis or how it was done.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending