The Student Room Group

Who are more dangerous to our everyday life? ISIS or our own government?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Byakko
It's so sad when I hear people claim that Syria is a religious conflict when religion has nothing to do with it. FSA had people from all sorts of religions taking part to protect civilians and defeat Assad. Assad media kept saying FSA were terrorists as propaganda to justify killing them, well now he's got the terrorists he's always been hoping for, ISIS are so beneficial to Assad because people forget about FSA who are now having to deal with both messes. Since ISIS are super-terrorists to the likes we've never witnessed before, everyone who just watches media reports and skim reads articles thinks it's better for Assad to win the war, and think it's a religious conflict.

To say it has 'nothing to do' with religion is naive. It isn't wholly religious, but the exacerbation of the conflict from uprising into civil war has been strongly influenced by religious factors. Syria has had sectarian problems for years and they have been the catalyst for bringing the country into the state it's in now. There are United Nations reports suggesting the same thing as far back as 2013 and probably earlier.

I certainly don't think it's better if Assad wins (I think Syria's screwed either way), and I also don't doubt that religion has been blamed for non-religious issues. I noted the pro-Assad swing with the same disappointment as anyone else who understands the news.
Actually, I'm going to change my opinion to be really pedantic. Without a doubt the government because, looking on wikipedia at least, I can't actually see anything that goes by name "Isis" that poses any real threat (unless, of course, some of the fictional characters actually turn out to be real, but I'm ruling out that possibility). If you're referring to the group that changed it's name over two months ago, then the government of the Kingdom of England is clearly more dangerous, as per previous post.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think a lot of people have clearly misunderstood the question. It's not "Would ISIS be more dangerous than our current government if they were in power here?" it's "Are ISIS more dangerous to our (i.e. people in Britain) everyday lives now?"

And considering they are half the world away, my answer would have to be no, our government are more dangerous (though that's not really the term I'd use) on a day-to-day basis at the moment.
Reply 23
Original post by Benjobox
Until the day the British Government goes around driving religious minorities out of their homes, raping, beheading and torturing them in the aim of establishing a caliphate, I'll have to say ISIS.

Um, hello? Our British governments have ransacked, looted and destroyed countries for generations?
Here are a list of 'just a few':
India
Iraq
Afghanistan
Mandatory Palestine
South Africa etc.

Also, remember our white European governments enslaved and brutalised an entire race for over 400 years, don't you remember the Atlantic Slave Trade?
Original post by RenoHughes
Um, hello? Our British governments have ransacked, looted and destroyed countries for generations?
Here are a list of 'just a few':
India
Iraq
Afghanistan
Mandatory Palestine
South Africa etc.

Also, remember our white European governments enslaved and brutalised an entire race for over 400 years, don't you remember the Atlantic Slave Trade?

And when was the last time the British government did this? Getting on for a century ago; the historical actions of the British Empire are hardly relevant to this debate.
With many forum topics debating various issues about ISIS including beheadings, the UK terrorism level being made 'severe', British Muslims going to 'fight' along ISIS etc.

However, after seeing a comment on a forum saying 'ISIS are the most dangerous group on Earth' made me think how dangerous are ISIS compared to our own governments? (UK/US).

Here are a few 'dangers' that our governments control:

It was only a couple of months ago when experts announced the divide between the rich and poor is at its largest since the 1930's.

Education standards in the UK in impoverished areas remain at an all-time low, which causes the impoverished to remain uneducated.. (which continues to result in crime levels rising because the 'dole' doesn't fully support a family).

As Autumn/Winter comes, the energy companies dramatically rise prices, which the elderly, working-class and the poor have to decide between food or heat.

UK/US propaganda (infamously The Sun, DailyMail, Fox News etc.) which forms and contorts the majority of the public's opinion to match the objective of the government. (i.e. 'weapons of mass destruction' to enter Iraq).

These same governments that are beginning to militarise its police, which are meant to 'protect and serve' but instead they 'intimidate and oppress'.

Governments which have allowed companies such as Senco and G4S to privatise British prisons, where private investors make money off the criminals being sentenced to prison.

Any comments?

answer a) ISIS
Reply 26
Original post by felamaslen
Freedom to do something does not imply that it is gratis. You are free to talk, but need a mouth to do so. You are free to make music, but you need talent to do so. Etc.

A question: what is wrong with companies making money out of providing prison services? Are you saying that the prisoners should not really be there? Are you saying that their sentences are decided by profit, and not justice? I thought the sentences were handed down by judges, not CEOs.

Another question: do you appreciate the massive work that the governments of the two countries in question have done in order to prevent evil over the years?

The reply to question one is that yes, I do personally believe large companies who profit off criminals being sent to prison is wrong on so many levels. The fact of corporate greed is intensifying annually and no one seems to notice. You seem to be a person who has never been to or a family member who has been to prison? If I was to go to prison and realise someone was profiting off it I would be ashamed of how money-orientated this world has become.

In answer to the second question yes, I do appreciate the work our governments have done in the past such as the World Wars etc... But the entire point of this post was to see how many people were aware of the dangers the government pose to us at this time. This is meant to be a 'democracy' but we have no vote over what country we invade next do we? We don't have a say in how much are governments spend our tax on increasing military weaponry and personnel annually do we? We can all easily accept the good our governments have done, but we cannot sit back and deny the problems they cause everyday. I don't want to grow up and have to explain to my children why there is a homeless man on the streets just because we can't accept the fact our current 21st century system is failing.
Reply 27
Original post by Jammy Duel
And when was the last time the British government did this? Getting on for a century ago; the historical actions of the British Empire are hardly relevant to this debate.

No, the point I just made was in context to the user who said 'our governments haven't gone around raping and beheading people', so I was merely stating the violent past of the British Empire.
Original post by Benjobox
Until the day the British Government goes around driving religious minorities out of their homes, raping, beheading and torturing them in the aim of establishing a caliphate, I'll have to say ISIS.

This ""
I always say this to people we are not at war with radical islam the people we are at war is those who say no to us. Look at Saddam for 9 years he was supported by the West to go to Iran and to atrocities but afterwards when he said he didn't want to be part of helping West anymore they turned against him and made him get executed. My question is this assuming you support the death penalty you would say this verdict was right because he did kill people. But what about Blair and Bush how many forces did they send to Iraq and Afghanistan resulting in many people having their limbs blown off, homes destroyed, jobs lost, lives lost etc.... Where is their punishment? ISIS and the government do not care about YOU fact! The government only care about corporate interests we have seen how corporations put profit over life anyday. Look at Haliburton they made billions from the Iraq oil they get paid to rebuild nations many argue that this was a huge reason to invade Iraq so foreign companies can control Iraq look today in Iraq shell, bp and other companies exist there under Saddam it didn't. Why is it seen justifiable to go to a country invade it take it over get profits from that country give nothing to the ordinary people etc... Take also the example of 9/11 who funded Bin Laden? The CIA is not a conspiracy theory it is plain fact. When Bin Laden fought against the soviets look at American and UK newspapers they called him a hero and freedom fighter but the safe guy who says to the West no I will not support you anymore he is deemed a terrorist and they look to accuse him I am not saying I know what happened in 9/11 but what I and many others know is that the govts story is not believable they told people the air to breathe their was safe and guess what it wasn't many developed respiratory illnesses and sadly died from the poisonous air, the times which the towers allegedly hit contradict each other, white van and 4 Non Arabs with explosives are not taken for question instead sent back to Israel etc... You have to ask yourself this question if the govt can use excuse after excuse e.g. we want to stop terrorism but then (fund terrorist groups) can you trust them? Why do Westerners get the idea that everyone has to follow this model those who don't are deemed primitive and savage don't get me started on the flaws of this culture e.g. gender pay inequality, discrimination for races etc.... Lets admit one thing every culture West or not has its ups and downs there is not a perfect model and we shouldn't shove ideologies down people's throats and not play double standards saying ISIS is barbaric yes of course they are but maybe you shouldnt support it or similar terrorist groups like FSA who are also barbaric. So coming to your question I would say govt slightly worse their policies have affected much more people not only on a national level but global level also

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/how-the-west-bankrolls-isis-millions-from-governments-and-ngos-funding-radical-islamic-terror-group-30438217.html
http://www.presstv.com/detail/2014/08/08/374537/americas-biggest-allies-funding-isis/
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by ineedtorevise127
I always say this to people we are not at war with radical islam the people we are at war is those who say no to us. Look at Saddam for 9 years he was supported by the West to go to Iran and to atrocities but afterwards when he said he didn't want to be part of helping West anymore they turned against him and made him get executed. My question is this assuming you support the death penalty you would say this verdict was right because he did kill people. But what about Blair and Bush how many forces did they send to Iraq and Afghanistan resulting in many people having their limbs blown off, homes destroyed, jobs lost, lives lost etc.... Where is their punishment? ISIS and the government do not care about YOU fact! The government only care about corporate interests we have seen how corporations put profit over life anyday. Look at Haliburton they made billions from the Iraq oil they get paid to rebuild nations many argue that this was a huge reason to invade Iraq so foreign companies can control Iraq look today in Iraq shell, bp and other companies exist there under Saddam it didn't. Why is it seen justifiable to go to a country invade it take it over get profits from that country give nothing to the ordinary people etc... Take also the example of 9/11 who funded Bin Laden? The CIA is not a conspiracy theory it is plain fact. When Bin Laden fought against the soviets look at American and UK newspapers they called him a hero and freedom fighter but the safe guy who says to the West no I will not support you anymore he is deemed a terrorist and they look to accuse him I am not saying I know what happened in 9/11 but what I and many others know is that the govts story is not believable they told people the air to breathe their was safe and guess what it wasn't many developed respiratory illnesses and sadly died from the poisonous air, the times which the towers allegedly hit contradict each other, white van and 4 Non Arabs with explosives are not taken for question instead sent back to Israel etc... You have to ask yourself this question if the govt can use excuse after excuse e.g. we want to stop terrorism but then (fund terrorist groups) can you trust them? Why do Westerners get the idea that everyone has to follow this model those who don't are deemed primitive and savage don't get me started on the flaws of this culture e.g. gender pay inequality, discrimination for races etc.... Lets admit one thing every culture West or not has its ups and downs there is not a perfect model and we shouldn't shove ideologies down people's throats and not play double standards saying ISIS is barbaric yes of course they are but maybe you shouldnt support it or similar terrorist groups like FSA who are also barbaric. So coming to your question I would say govt slightly worse their policies have affected much more people not on a global scale but on a national level but international level

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/how-the-west-bankrolls-isis-millions-from-governments-and-ngos-funding-radical-islamic-terror-group-30438217.html
http://www.presstv.com/detail/2014/08/08/374537/americas-biggest-allies-funding-isis/

100% truth. I'm glad someone understands.
100% truth. I'm glad someone understands.

trust me its the media and newspapers they act as a persons mind nowadays sadly. I used to believe many things the media and govt says but when I researched and read into the past histories and stuff like this from various sources I found out many things we are told are lies
I think the government is a bigger threat, we live in a police state...
This post is misunderstood by some people. Although some have said that our education is far better than many other countries, the question isn't about the quality of life in Britain. I am glad that I live in this country, but it doesn't mean I am proud of all/any of it or don't have my qualms about it.

This is partially a matter of principles when talking about the British Government. They pose a far larger threat to British people than ISIS because of the potential of misuse of information. Unfortunately, nearly everyone allows themselves to become (so) predictable, including myself.

The chances of ISIS being responsible for the deaths of someone in Britain at the moment is so negligible, I'd start to even consider its existence. Of course, if you were in the Middle East it would be a lot higher, but we're not in the Middle East, we're in Britain.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Right
Even if you do not like the government policies, living in a country like the UK will give you democracy, freedom to services like education, the ability to enjoy life without fear of death and all round decent life. Whether it Labour, Tory, liberal or UKIP your life will never be in as much danger as it would with the likes of ISIS.

Gawd people are so selfish and forget how lucky they are to be born in a country like this. Yeh maybe it can be crappy sometimes but compared to most of the world and the past 10000 years you can not get better.

A democracy whereby you elect 'representatives' who do nothing but tow a top-down directed party line rather than actually representing you? Did you really feel in democratic control over our decision to start wars in Iraq and Afghanistan? Do you really feel it's democratic for elected individuals to appoint people to the House of Lords? Democracy is at best subjective and at its simplest a spectrum. I certainly don't feel we are anywhere near democratic; we're simply not as bad as many others.

Freedom to services like education.. unless you're over 18.. or can't afford £9000/year plus living costs.. or are forced to work for a third of the minimum wage as an apprentice. Education isn't a freedom for a lot of people in the UK, and the quality of it is ever-diminished by tinkering ministers who have never taught a class in their life.

Without fear of death, unless you're protesting against the supposed 'democratic' government.. unless you're one of over 600 people murdered per year in England, Wales, and Scotland because people have police chiefs on accounts.. unless you're a disabled person who has their benefits cut and can't afford to heat your home.. unless you die of cold and hunger homeless because we think it's more important to protect bankers than it is to ensure basic housing for vulnerable citizens.

Nobody's saying the UK is the worst country in the world to live in, but for most people living in the UK the threat from ISIS is minimal, but the threat from government policies is far more likely to materalise.
The UK government. Occasionally not able to facilitate you living exactly the type of life you want to live.

Isis. Wish you were dead. With the UK government wanting to stop them killing you

Sounds like a real head scratcher that.

By the way, you said 'freedom to services like education', if I have freedom to education why am I paying £8,700 a year for a degree?

Do you even know how student loans work?
Original post by ineedtorevise127
I always say this to people we are not at war with radical islam the people we are at war is those who say no to us. Look at Saddam for 9 years he was supported by the West to go to Iran and to atrocities but afterwards when he said he didn't want to be part of helping West anymore they turned against him and made him get executed. My question is this assuming you support the death penalty you would say this verdict was right because he did kill people. But what about Blair and Bush how many forces did they send to Iraq and Afghanistan resulting in many people having their limbs blown off, homes destroyed, jobs lost, lives lost etc.... Where is their punishment? ISIS and the government do not care about YOU fact! The government only care about corporate interests we have seen how corporations put profit over life anyday. Look at Haliburton they made billions from the Iraq oil they get paid to rebuild nations many argue that this was a huge reason to invade Iraq so foreign companies can control Iraq look today in Iraq shell, bp and other companies exist there under Saddam it didn't. Why is it seen justifiable to go to a country invade it take it over get profits from that country give nothing to the ordinary people etc... Take also the example of 9/11 who funded Bin Laden? The CIA is not a conspiracy theory it is plain fact. When Bin Laden fought against the soviets look at American and UK newspapers they called him a hero and freedom fighter but the safe guy who says to the West no I will not support you anymore he is deemed a terrorist and they look to accuse him I am not saying I know what happened in 9/11 but what I and many others know is that the govts story is not believable they told people the air to breathe their was safe and guess what it wasn't many developed respiratory illnesses and sadly died from the poisonous air, the times which the towers allegedly hit contradict each other, white van and 4 Non Arabs with explosives are not taken for question instead sent back to Israel etc... You have to ask yourself this question if the govt can use excuse after excuse e.g. we want to stop terrorism but then (fund terrorist groups) can you trust them? Why do Westerners get the idea that everyone has to follow this model those who don't are deemed primitive and savage don't get me started on the flaws of this culture e.g. gender pay inequality, discrimination for races etc.... Lets admit one thing every culture West or not has its ups and downs there is not a perfect model and we shouldn't shove ideologies down people's throats and not play double standards saying ISIS is barbaric yes of course they are but maybe you shouldnt support it or similar terrorist groups like FSA who are also barbaric. So coming to your question I would say govt slightly worse their policies have affected much more people not only on a national level but global level also

Saddam needed to die... he was attempting genocide.
Original post by cuckoo99
Saddam needed to die... he was attempting genocide.

Is this genocide like those WMDs?
Original post by DarkWhite
A democracy whereby you elect 'representatives' who do nothing but tow a top-down directed party line rather than actually representing you? Did you really feel in democratic control over our decision to start wars in Iraq and Afghanistan? Do you really feel it's democratic for elected individuals to appoint people to the House of Lords? Democracy is at best subjective and at its simplest a spectrum. I certainly don't feel we are anywhere near democratic; we're simply not as bad as many others.
What system would you propose instead then? And let's discount things that are unlikely to be accepted.

Freedom to services like education.. unless you're over 18.. or can't afford £9000/year plus living costs..

Are you new to this country? Have you not heard of student finance? Or are you just choosing to ignore it?

or are forced to work for a third of the minimum wage as an apprentice.

Well, that's actually false, if you look at the relevant figures you will find that the NMW for apprentices (under 19 or over 19 in their first year) is actually more than half that of their peers and is understandable; a first year apprentice will almost certainly not work at as good a quality as those later in their apprenticeships or who have finished.

Education isn't a freedom for a lot of people in the UK, and the quality of it is ever-diminished by tinkering ministers who have never taught a class in their life.

Funny, last I checked everybody had "free" access to education until the age of 18, or are you one of these people that think that unless every single person in the country goes to university we're failing in our educational system?

Without fear of death, unless you're protesting against the supposed 'democratic' government..

Please tell me of the last person where somebody was killed in this way in an unreasonable manner, last person I can think of was in the 2010 riots, and you can't really count that.

unless you're one of over 600 people murdered per year in England, Wales, and Scotland because people have police chiefs on accounts..

So every single person murdered is murdered by somebody paying off the police? Okay? Got anything to back up this rather incredible claim (or, for that matter, any protection to stop them bumping you off)? And beyond that, that it is a significant issue, by which I mean proof that it is widely happening?

unless you're a disabled person who has their benefits cut and can't afford to heat your home..

Again, you're making claims with no evidence to back them up. If you're incapable of affording to heat your home you're almost certainly not managing to handle your finances well.

unless you die of cold and hunger homeless because we think it's more important to protect bankers than it is to ensure basic housing for vulnerable citizens.

How do you intend to provide government finances to the homeless? After all, they're not getting as much support because they have no permanent address. You're doing a great job of coming up with problems and not actually providing a solution.

Protecting bankers? How so?

Nobody's saying the UK is the worst country in the world to live in, but for most people living in the UK the threat from ISIS is minimal, but the threat from government policies is far more likely to materalise.

You're looking in the wrong places for where the government will kill you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending