The Student Room Group

Applying to uni question!

I really want to apply for a History and German course for 2015. Most of the universities I want to apply to require ABB ( with an A in History and a B in German).

My predicted grades aren't finalised yet but at the moment it looks as though I'll be predicted A* for sociology, A for History and C in German. My main worry is that I might not get any offers to the unis that ask for a B in German because of my predicted grade.

Is it still worth applying to these universities or should I just focus on the ones that ask for lower grades?

I think you should talk with your German teacher about this. How far from a B are you? Would you be willing to put in extra work to get that B? Prove to him/her that you're willing to work hard and he/she might predict you a B.

If you find a course you really like which asks for a B then apply, even if you're only predicated a C. If the university likes your personal statement then they might take you and give you a chance to prove your teacher wrong. What universities were you thinking of applying to? You could apply for history at Scottish universities, then you could take German as your 'outside subject' for the first two years and then transfer into the German and History degree at a later date.
I would suggest you apply to a mix. Eg. 3 or 4 ABB unis and 1 or 2 lower grade back-up choices. The fact your third A Level is predicted to be an A* might help your application - I have friends who got accepted to unis because they missed one grade but had another subject one grade higher. Eg. A*AC = AAB.
Of course, the fact that your C is in a required subject is slightly concerning and this is why I'd recommend thoroughly researching and coming up with 1 or 2 lower grade unis as back ups that you'd be honestly happy to go to if you didn't get offers from the ABB unis.

It's always worth applying. You never know what will happen in your final exams and it's better to apply through the standard ucas application than to have to go through adjustment because you got higher grades than you expected.

Universities will also consider your references and extra curricular things in your statement - have you done a German exchange/travelled to Germany, do you listen to German music/radio, watch German tv/films, read German books, take part in conversation clubs or have online conversation partners. Sometimes that passion/drive/commitment outside the scope of your A Level can make up for a slightly lower grade.
Incidentally, if you don't do any of those things I suggest you start! Not saying you have to do lots, but just having a couple of films you can name and talk about, or a book that isn't part of what you're studying for the A Level. The important thing is to make it sound good on paper.

ie. For my German A Level we read a book by Durrenmatt. So for my UCAS app i read another book by Durrenmatt. I read this other book because i didn't know any other authors to try that would be readable and i wanted my app to sound good/like i was super interested and did loads of extra curricular. Of course I didn't say this in my personal statement. In my personal statement I'm pretty sure I found reading Durrenmatt so enjoyable in class that I just had to go away and read more in my free time.

Another example extract from my personal statement:
"I enjoy watching foreign films in my spare time, ‘Les Choristes’ and ‘Das Leben der Anderen’ being my current favourites."
^^ This actually means - I have watched some (3 or 4?) foreign films (all in class time) and these 2 were pretty good.

Or something to that effect. You get the idea :smile:

Good luck!
Another option could be to look at "Partners" or "Access Schemes".

Eg. The standard offer for Combined Honours (History and German) at Newcastle Uni is AAB. But the standard PARTNERS offer is BBB and you then do a summer school.

Leeds Uni has a similar Access to Leeds programme where you can be eligible to get an offer 2 grades below the standard offer in the prospectus.

I know other unis do similar things. Eligibility varies but usually comes down to widening participation: low income family, went to high school with below national average performance at GCSE, student in care, no history of higher education in the family, lives in a low participation neighbourhood (where few people go to uni) or it can even be as simple as just attending a certain high school :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending