The Student Room Group

PAT - November 6th 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DeuteriumPie
It's just one of the small-angle approximations, like sinx~x when x is small etc... I think it's arrived at using the Taylor series or smt (because you can neglect terms w/ of higher degree, as they get so small, you get the neat form used)

No but for that question we needn't do this approximation. For one thing the angles doesn't come here at all

The question (c) is actually asking about the assumptions we make to model the pendulum as an 1)ideal pendulum and then as a 2)rod pendulum.

1) We assume that the mass of the rod is negligible. Mr -> 0. When we do this the equation appears the same as in (a)

2) We assume that the mass of the bob is negligible. Mb -> 0. So then the equations appears as in (b)
Original post by RoyalBlue7
No but for that question we needn't do this approximation. For one thing the angles doesn't come here at all

The question (c) is actually asking about the assumptions we make to model the pendulum as an 1)ideal pendulum and then as a 2)rod pendulum.

1) We assume that the mass of the rod is negligible. Mr -> 0. When we do this the equation appears the same as in (a)

2) We assume that the mass of the bob is negligible. Mb -> 0. So then the equations appears as in (b)

Huh? No pendulums in that question... The person I responded to was referring not to that question, but another, namely the one on the planet Oceana of whatever
Original post by JackNorman
Came across these the other day trying to find out a way to work a question out. Never covered those at school, would never have known them if it wasn't for coming across that question. It seems some things on these papers rely on you being lucky enough to have looked into the right things in the past.

So true... You don't know how many time I've said that to myself
I just always get stuck on the shape ratio questions. Apart form that not too bad except the odd question here and there, finding the physics section better on most papers barring 2012

The simultaneous equations question form 2011 on large, medium and small boxes was bloody annoying; too many equations and variables
Reply 184
It's just one of the small-angle approximations, like sinx~x when x is small etc... I think it's arrived at using the Taylor series or smt (because you can neglect terms w/ of higher degree, as they get so small, you get the neat form used)

Thanks, I'll look into it.
Reply 185
How are you guys going to approach the paper? Any tactics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The simultaneous equations question form 2011 on large, medium and small boxes was bloody annoying; too many equations and variables

I skipped over that one to go back to at a later date, still haven't gone back to it hahaha. Just did the 2008 paper and got the macaw question right though so now might be the time. Questions like the macaw one, the box one, the space ship freight one, and so on, I could never get my head around them but I figured it out on the macaw question so I'm gonna go back and try the others I skipped over?
Reply 187
I skipped over that one to go back to at a later date, still haven't gone back to it hahaha. Just did the 2008 paper and got the macaw question right though so now might be the time. Questions like the macaw one, the box one, the space ship freight one, and so on, I could never get my head around them but I figured it out on the macaw question so I'm gonna go back and try the others I skipped over?

Those type of questions seem to be getting harder over the years too! The Box ratio one was pretty damn hard

Yh, that was a good one. I liked the caterpillar one even more:colondollar: Just that freight one.. was bit much for 6 marks I thought
Original post by Amanzz
I don't think so. We know dy/dx is simply the posh way of saying the change in y divided by the change in x (I won't insult your intelligence, you know this). So when we represent velocity, it's the distance over time. dt=s/v, acceleration is equal to dv/dt, but dt=ds/dv, substitute means a=dv/(ds/dv)or dv^2/ds). Or simply put, the first differential of displacement with respect to time is v, hence dy/dx=(dx/dt)=v (where the x's ARE NOT THE SAME). Second differential, (d2y/dx^2=dv/dt)=a, the acceleration. You should also be aware of the third differential, d3y/dx^3=da/dt=jerk, rate of change of acceleration. I think this answers your question.

Thanks for answering, and i understand your comments. However I still have 2 queries unanswered.

1) It cannot be legitimate to use 'constant acceleration' formulae in answering this question, when the acceleration is defined as NOT constant, but is variable, relating to displacement.

2) Having derived a simple expression for KE, displacement in part a... by calculus... has anyone got the idea how to change the function in relation to displacement to functions relating to time?? I'd be grateful for suggestions.. not only because of PAT, but of curiosity, because I can't see how to do it!!
Reply 190
If anyone is running out of pat material to go through I have found the physics Olympiad questions (set by Oxford) to be really useful! The As questions are most similar to the majority of the pat, but the the A2 ones are really like the long 20 mark questions. Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 191
Original post by orzel
If anyone is running out of pat material to go through I have found the physics Olympiad questions (set by Oxford) to be really useful! The As questions are most similar to the majority of the pat, but the the A2 ones are really like the long 20 mark questions. Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much, couldn't find any resources to emulate the long questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Huh? No pendulums in that question... The person I responded to was referring not to that question, but another, namely the one on the planet Oceana of whatever

Yes. I thought wrongly that you were talking about a question in the 2007 paper :s-smilie:
Original post by game well and truly over
Thanks for answering, and i understand your comments. However I still have 2 queries unanswered.

1) It cannot be legitimate to use 'constant acceleration' formulae in answering this question, when the acceleration is defined as NOT constant, but is variable, relating to displacement.

2) Having derived a simple expression for KE, displacement in part a... by calculus... has anyone got the idea how to change the function in relation to displacement to functions relating to time?? I'd be grateful for suggestions.. not only because of PAT, but of curiosity, because I can't see how to do it!!

Have you covered second order differential equations as in Edexcel FP2? If not just go through that chapter and then it'll become clear how to do it. Its applied in M4 for SHM.

Just use d^2x/dt^2 for acceleration and then continue.
Reply 194
I hate to state the obvious but the date on the thread name is wrong, it's on the 5th. It wouldn't be good to do all this prep and them miss it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 195
Can someone explain to me how they got the equation 4y^2-4y(-8y-1)? Thanks in advance! It's a range question and i got completely lost in it
Reply 196
Update on the materials science, for those with no As or A2 chemistry:

"Dear 42000,

This is something which will be taken into account along with your full application. If your application shows an interest in Physics related to Materials Science and you meet our minimum entry requirements, it may be the case that you are invited to interview. If Materials Science is something you are seriously considering alongside Physics, I would advise you to read around some of the A level Chemistry related to materials.

I hope this is helpful.
If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards
Jayne"
Original post by 42000
Update on the materials science, for those with no As or A2 chemistry:

"Dear 42000,

This is something which will be taken into account along with your full application. If your application shows an interest in Physics related to Materials Science and you meet our minimum entry requirements, it may be the case that you are invited to interview. If Materials Science is something you are seriously considering alongside Physics, I would advise you to read around some of the A level Chemistry related to materials.

I hope this is helpful.
If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards
Jayne"

Did they only offer this to Physics applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RoyalBlue7
Have you covered second order differential equations as in Edexcel FP2? If not just go through that chapter and then it'll become clear how to do it. Its applied in M4 for SHM.

Just use d^2x/dt^2 for acceleration and then continue.

Thanks so much for that, it was really annoying me.
I've now solved using the calculus route, and find that velocity/time is indeed like a sine wave (with origin at t=pi), and acceleration as a cosine curve same origin.
Now I know this wouldn't be expected in the actual PAT, but I feel satisfied now!
Original post by game well and truly over
Thanks so much for that, it was really annoying me.
I've now solved using the calculus route, and find that velocity/time is indeed like a sine wave (with origin at t=pi), and acceleration as a cosine curve same origin.
Now I know this wouldn't be expected in the actual PAT, but I feel satisfied now!

Did you get exact constants? I tried to do it using calculus but the constants are not integers so it was slightly inaccurate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending