The Student Room Group

Having second thoughts about my uni

Hi guys!

I managed to get BBB in my a2s (maths, physics and history), and I was only 11 ums off getting an A in physics. The university of Surrey wanted ABB, and despite how close I got rejected me, meaning that I am going to my insurance choice - Aberystwyth.

When I visited Aberystwyth, I loved it. I loved the town, and the physics department were extremely friendly. I was really looking forward to going there.

However, a couple of nights ago I looked at the university league tables again for the first time in months, and saw just how badly Aberystwyth was doing in them (especially when compared to Surrey). As a result, I'm beginning to have second thoughts about the place, which manifested themselves as a LOT of panicking last night.

Should I be so worried about going to a very low ranking university? And would I still be able to start a decent career afterwards?
This is a variation on 'I'm so nervous about going to Uni' threads.
This one is called 'I think I'm too good for my Uni'.

1) Obsessing about League Tables, rankings, 'prestige' etc is no way to pick a Uni - see http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/University_League_Tables_-_A_Users_Guide

2) Aberystwyth is a good Uni. You'll have a good three years there and walk out with a degree anyone would be proud of.
Original post by Hailfiretank
Hi guys!

I managed to get BBB in my a2s (maths, physics and history), and I was only 11 ums off getting an A in physics. The university of Surrey wanted ABB, and despite how close I got rejected me, meaning that I am going to my insurance choice - Aberystwyth.

When I visited Aberystwyth, I loved it. I loved the town, and the physics department were extremely friendly. I was really looking forward to going there.

However, a couple of nights ago I looked at the university league tables again for the first time in months, and saw just how badly Aberystwyth was doing in them (especially when compared to Surrey). As a result, I'm beginning to have second thoughts about the place, which manifested themselves as a LOT of panicking last night.

Should I be so worried about going to a very low ranking university? And would I still be able to start a decent career afterwards?

You will be getting a physics degree - doesn't matter where from - just have a great time and you will get a decent career afterwards - trust me
Reply 3
If you like the place then stop worrying. Whole point of an insurance choice :P

You'll be getting a technical degree, so the difference between the two universities is minimised significantly. Employers will always test what you know, rather than relying on the fact you're doing okay in a degree, so just take the opportunity to shine individually.
Reply 4
Thanks you guys.

The league tables link helped a lot, and having read through a report from the Institute of Physics (http://www.iop.org/publications/iop/2012/file_55924.pdf), I feel a lot better now, as it shows that both Russell Group and non - Russell group physics graduates are able to begin careers in physics or continue studying to PhD levels.

I believe that seeing the league tables (trigger warning: trigger :biggrin:) triggered some other buried emotions about going to uni (saying goodbye, missing family, being unable to get a job etc.), hence the panic and depressed feelings.

I have also remembered that almost everyone I have spoken to about Aberystywth has said nothing but positives about it, and that they all loved their time there. Be it the students on the visit days, family of friends, even my cadet CO; they all mention that people who went there loved it.

Looking at the ranking timeline, it has only been the last couple of years that saw a steep slide (and a whole bunch of stuff against the new vice-chancellor). With the volatility in these league tables, hopefully it will begin to climb again next year.

Again, thank you to all of you :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
'Going to Uni' IS scary initially and everyone has moments of panic like this beforehand. Thats the important thing - everyone. So you aren't in any way alone and everyone who starts their first year at Aber will also be 'new' and not just to Uni but to that sense of 'letting go'.

You've just made some (mature) realisations about all this. Thats important, and significant.

Enjoy Aber.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending