The Student Room Group

Unsure of AS French

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by neruallauren
Hi, so last week I started Sixth Form and i'm currently doing AS French, however i'm unsure about whether to carry on with it. There's only 3 people in my class and i'm worried about whether I will be able to achieve a B for my AS as I unexpectedly achieved a low B at GCSE. I'm also not sure whether I could improve enough with my speaking/listening.

I'm not sure what else I would do if I was to change from French to another subject, as a lot of the subjects I would like to do clash with my other lessons.

Should I stick with French or change to another subject?

How many other subjects are you studying? If French is your fourth subject I'd be tempted to stick with it, as you could get your higher grades in other subjects and having a language would definitely be looked upon well by universities. Even if it's one of your main subjects, is there anything you could do differently to when you studied it at GCSE? Perhaps use music/films/TV shows/Youtube videos by native speakers to consolidate your learning, or invest in some learning materials such as audio downloads to try and reinforce what you're learning in class. I know a lot of good A level French revision guides that have audio materials with them, and a good outline of what you need to learn. If you listen to some French every day, even for a short while, I'm sure your listening (and speaking) skills would quickly improve. You could also try simple audiobooks in French even if you don't understand everything that's being said it should get you used to listening to French and you'll start to pick up/notice more and more words.
Heya! I've just done AS French and I'm carrying on with it for A2. Having only 3 in your class is a good thing! At GCSE it was just two of us and since A Level it's been just me. You get to go at a different speed, one that suits you and your other classmates.
I honestly think you'll be surprised how much you improve if you carry on. I'm not just saying this because I think everyone should learn a language (even though I do!), but if you put the time and effort into any subject, you can reap the rewards. I got an A* at GCSE but I got a B at AS Level, even though it was close to the higher grade. The exam isn't easy, but you do get used to them the more you do. GCSE to AS seems a big leap, but remember that people across the country have done that leap (and survived it!) and you've got the time to prepare for the exam.
Try to learn vocab, make sure you know the main grammar points and even when you're not in lessons, speak to your classmates in French. The best way to learn as much as you can and feel confident in what you know is to immerse yourself as much as possible.
Hope I have helped, if you ever need any help feel free to message me!
Bon courage for whatever you choose! :smile:
Reply 3
A B is definitely a good grade; I know people that just managed Cs at GCSE and are still taking the A-level. If you're worried about your grade, just make sure you work hard and put in the effort and I'm sure it'll pay off! :smile: There are many people that achieves As and Bs despite not getting an A or above in GCSE. Also, bear in mind that, with 3 people in your class, you'll receive more attention so that will undoubtedly help.

Of course, I can't tell you what to choose, and if you're not fully comfortable with French, then you know yourself best. I think, if anything, you should absolutely do what you enjoy more, and if French isn't really interesting to you then it'll be very difficult to get into it at AS level.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mscaffrey
How many other subjects are you studying? If French is your fourth subject I'd be tempted to stick with it, as you could get your higher grades in other subjects and having a language would definitely be looked upon well by universities. Even if it's one of your main subjects, is there anything you could do differently to when you studied it at GCSE? Perhaps use music/films/TV shows/Youtube videos by native speakers to consolidate your learning, or invest in some learning materials such as audio downloads to try and reinforce what you're learning in class. I know a lot of good A level French revision guides that have audio materials with them, and a good outline of what you need to learn. If you listen to some French every day, even for a short while, I'm sure your listening (and speaking) skills would quickly improve. You could also try simple audiobooks in French even if you don't understand everything that's being said it should get you used to listening to French and you'll start to pick up/notice more and more words.

French is actually my 3rd subject, i'm only taking 3 as I don't think I can handle 4. I suppose now I can balance out my revision better than I did at GCSE because I dedicated my time to some subjects more than others. I'm definitely going to try listening to french music and watching french films, my teacher recommended some so I suppose i'll give them a go. Audiobooks sound like a great idea too - i'll look into that! Also if you don't mind me asking, what revision guides would you recommend?

Original post by MiniMacaroon
Heya! I've just done AS French and I'm carrying on with it for A2. Having only 3 in your class is a good thing! At GCSE it was just two of us and since A Level it's been just me. You get to go at a different speed, one that suits you and your other classmates.
I honestly think you'll be surprised how much you improve if you carry on. I'm not just saying this because I think everyone should learn a language (even though I do!), but if you put the time and effort into any subject, you can reap the rewards. I got an A* at GCSE but I got a B at AS Level, even though it was close to the higher grade. The exam isn't easy, but you do get used to them the more you do. GCSE to AS seems a big leap, but remember that people across the country have done that leap (and survived it!) and you've got the time to prepare for the exam.
Try to learn vocab, make sure you know the main grammar points and even when you're not in lessons, speak to your classmates in French. The best way to learn as much as you can and feel confident in what you know is to immerse yourself as much as possible.
Hope I have helped, if you ever need any help feel free to message me!
Bon courage for whatever you choose! :smile:

I think I might stick to French and try to learn some vocab and grammar outside of school to help me as I seemed to have forgot everything over the summer! I'm also going to try to improve my speaking and listening a lot more both in class and at home, I think i'll be a lot more comfortable with my speaking now that there's not too many of us. Thank you for your help, i'll be sure to ask you if i'm stuck with anything! :smile:

Original post by iii9
A B is definitely a good grade; I know people that just managed Cs at GCSE and are still taking the A-level. If you're worried about your grade, just make sure you work hard and put in the effort and I'm sure it'll pay off! :smile: There are many people that achieves As and Bs despite not getting an A or above in GCSE. Also, bear in mind that, with 3 people in your class, you'll receive more attention so that will undoubtedly help.

Of course, I can't tell you what to choose, and if you're not fully comfortable with French, then you know yourself best. I think, if anything, you should absolutely do what you enjoy more, and if French isn't really interesting to you then it'll be very difficult to get into it at AS level.

I do love French, and I find it much more interesting than things like Maths and Science, plus i'm naturally better at it than those. I think i'll stick to it as i'll be far more motivated to revise for it. Thank you!
Original post by neruallauren
French is actually my 3rd subject, i'm only taking 3 as I don't think I can handle 4. I suppose now I can balance out my revision better than I did at GCSE because I dedicated my time to some subjects more than others. I'm definitely going to try listening to french music and watching french films, my teacher recommended some so I suppose i'll give them a go. Audiobooks sound like a great idea too - i'll look into that! Also if you don't mind me asking, what revision guides would you recommend?

I'm not sure which exam board you're sitting, but I know that Edexcel and AQA both have good student books that come with cds. I think they should be okay for any exam board, seeing as they all cover the same topics/grammar points.
Reply 6
Original post by mscaffrey
I'm not sure which exam board you're sitting, but I know that Edexcel and AQA both have good student books that come with cds. I think they should be okay for any exam board, seeing as they all cover the same topics/grammar points.

I do AQA so they should be useful for me, thank you :smile:
Hi, I am also about to study AQA AS French. Can anyone suggest a vocabulary list (official or not) so I can begin learning the vocabulary as early as possible? Are there any websites which cover everything you need to know for the exams? And do you's have any tips?
Original post by kankowskibot
Hi, I am also about to study AQA AS French. Can anyone suggest a vocabulary list (official or not) so I can begin learning the vocabulary as early as possible? Are there any websites which cover everything you need to know for the exams? And do you's have any tips?

try mot a mot :smile:
Original post by lightningdoritos
try mot a mot :smile:

thank you! Does that include everything that I need to know? Or should I purchase something else to use along side it?
thank you! Does that include everything that I need to know? Or should I purchase something else to use along side it?

It covers all the topics and more! (don't go learning every word though, it's a waste of time!) Just learn some nice phrases for speaking/writing, just to spice your french up a bit! I used the AQA grammar book but other than that not much!
If you feel you can stick with it and you enjoy it, I feel it is something that has a use in life IMHO. I have just finished A2 French and I was the only student for both years and I feel the smaller the classes, the more time will be spent on you, which will help massively, particularly with speaking. For AQA, the Nelson Thornes book with the online Kerboodle is helpful, Élan is good practice and the Élan grammar book is good for building on existing skills to help form newer structures and more complex sentences which are necessary for a good writing and speaking mark. Although French was my lowest grade at B for both as and a2, I was the most proud of that grade because it is rewarding doing a subject that is difficult and in decline and knowing that it is actually a skill that can be used in life. Obviously it is up to you what you choose to do, but if you feel you will like it, that is important for A levels as you have to do something that you enjoy.
Original post by lightningdoritos
It covers all the topics and more! (don't go learning every word though, it's a waste of time!) Just learn some nice phrases for speaking/writing, just to spice your french up a bit! I used the AQA grammar book but other than that not much!

Thank you so much! I begin tomorrow (later than most schools) and I am excited to begin French:biggrin:
Thank you so much! I begin tomorrow (later than most schools) and I am excited to begin French:biggrin:

It's really fun! I liked the speaking, even though I get so nervous for it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending