The Student Room Group

Why do most Universities do this!!!!????!!

Why do certain universities require a B in GCSE Maths when their A-Level requirement is xxx including Maths?

They should obviously assume that someone doing Maths should have a B at least in gcse maths?
Sometimes people might externally take A Level Maths.

I have a friend who wasn't allowed to take Chemistry but he really wanted to so he just paid for the exams and self studied at home.
Reply 2
Original post by Da Di Doo
Sometimes people might externally take A Level Maths.

I have a friend who wasn't allowed to take Chemistry but he really wanted to so he just paid for the exams and self studied at home.

But surely an A in ALevel maths is much harder than an A* at gcse maths
Original post by 14D ROAD

Yeah it is but I know lots of people who got amazing A Level grades and mediocre GCSEs because they were messing about during school.

GCSEs are basically the first 'proper' exams that most students do. It's the first exam that will actually have an effect on our lives by opening some doors and possibly closing others. That's why I think quite a lot of people don't take their GCSEs as seriously as they should because they are used lots of 'school exams' that don't really count towards anything.

My point is basically, it is possible to get amazing A Levels even if you didn't do that well in the same subject during your GCSEs. My friend ended up with a B (even though he got a C at GCSE Chemistry).
Reply 4

But it's different content. You could do mechanics and decision maths at A Level, and thus have no idea how percentages work. So askibg for a gcse grade ensures applicants have covered gcse topics to a minimum standard, and then the A Level allows people to study further - it's not the same stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Juno
But it's different content. You could do mechanics and decision maths at A Level, and thus have no idea how percentages work. So askibg for a gcse grade ensures applicants have covered gcse topics to a minimum standard, and then the A Level allows people to study further - it's not the same stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

How someone reaped you, I do t know.

Core modules in maths ALevel are complusory, hence you learn topics that cover topics like percentages and gcse topics.

Colleges and SixthForm require B/A for Maths AS so any gcse requirements under grade A is really useless.
Reply 6
Core modules in maths ALevel are complusory, hence you learn topics that cover topics like percentages and gcse topics.

But you can't cover everything again - and the A Level course doesn't try to. Some GCSE topics are developed further, but many aren't studied again.

Colleges and SixthForm require B/A for Maths AS so any gcse requirements under grade A is really useless.
Not all colleges will set that as a minimum, and some people will self study the A Level course if they're not allowed to take it at their college. Some colleges even relax requirements in special circumstances - there are many threads on TSR who are getting advice on how to convince their college to let them study the course.

How someone reaped you, I do t know.
Because I'm right. The unis wouldn't set such requirements if I wasn't :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest