The Student Room Group

1st or social life - hey, why not both?

For many years on this forum and still up to this day I keep browsing through threads that perpetuate this idea that instead of getting a first and spending all of your time in the library, it is better to get a 2:1 and have a social life as degree classification isn't everything.

I think that's a valid point of view, but there is just one problem: why not have a 1st AND a social life? Why is that never offered as an option?

I intend to have both.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know about that, maybe you can at Durham, but not at other unis.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by shahbaz
I don't know about that maybe you can at Durham, but not at other unis.

Which universities?
Reply 3
Original post by im so academic
Which universities?

The ones with higher workloads.
You can have both. Plenty of people on my course who achieved firsts had strong social lives. You've just got to work smart... and of course, natural ability helps too.
Original post by shahbaz
The ones with higher workloads.

Plenty of people at Oxbridge have fantastic social lives and they have the highest workloads of them all.
No one in my first year got a 1st...
Reply 7
If you lack any natural ability, all day study is required, it is not a matter of what you want but what cards you are dealt
Reply 8
Original post by tehforum

I thought almost everyone at imperial got a 1st in the first year
Original post by The Right
I thought almost everyone at imperial got a 1st in the first year

I'm not at Imperial
Original post by NYU2012
Most of the problem is time - for example, as a law student, if you're actually going to do your weekly work, you'll have very little time for other things.

During my 1H, NO law students achieved a 1at average, even those who studied constantly. The top scoring law students are still those who don't have very large social lives. Even students who do study a lot and don't have much of a 'social life' still don't always do well.

What the ****? That doesn't sound right. It must be possible to do a Law degree at Durham, get a 1st and have a social life. :lolwut:

Not even one?
I'm not at Imperial

Last time I checked you were
Original post by The Right
Last time I checked you were

Ironic username

What the ****? That doesn't sound right. It must be possible to do a Law degree at Durham, get a 1st and have a social life. :lolwut:

Not even one?

Nope.

Law is a tough degree, that's why it has the lowest percentage of 1sts nationwide.

Nope.

Law is a tough degree, that's why it has the lowest percentage of 1sts nationwide.

So how is it possible then for someone to obtain a 1st in Law, have a vibrant social life and still do Law-related activities such as mooting?

Just because it doesn't sound right does not mean that it is not right. I think Darwin and Galileo among others heard the "it does not sound right" a lot of times. :redface:
So how is it possible then for someone to obtain a 1st in Law, have a vibrant social life and still do Law-related activities such as mooting?

Natural brilliance and consistency.

If you have the spark required and a decent work ethnic you can have the situation you described above.

But consistency is the downfall of many because 1st class work requires brilliance. And that brilliance needs to be applied in a wide range of areas in the law.
3 things: Social life, First, sleep. Choose 2.

You can do it with good study skills and solid time management, but it isn't easy. Some sports people are good examples, think Louloudis is meant to be on for a First and he combines it with some casual rowing at world class level, plus the Boat Race. Apparently a swimmer called Michael Rock got a First in Law from Manchester, and he was in Olympic finals and the like.
(edited 9 years ago)
Depends what type of social life you want to have too... people who are quite serious about their sports seem to hold it together well imo, perhaps because they're more self disciplined and organised than average. That's probably rather a square looking social life to a lot of people.

also get ready to take your foot off the social gas pedal in the final year.
Ironic username

lol
Sport 4-5 times a week, drinking 2-3 times a week and got a double first. From oxbridge.

Come at me brahs

whoa wtf isa is back? I remember when you PM'd me years ago asking for PS help for oxbridge lmao
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending