The Student Room Group

What are the best universities for an economics degree???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pro Crastination
Nope, I know a guy that applied to them for economics through adjustment this year. :P

Fair play, though I'll remain sceptical until I see solid evidence. That's probably happening because the government lifted the cap on the number of top students that universities can recruit... UCL are money-grabbing ***** so they'll happily take on more students for extra cash
Original post by Wisefire
That's good. That's cool. I'll slave away at the paying them and their interest off. So long as I go there... Lol. Hoping Adjustment will get me to Warwick or UCL for a decent course this year, so there's no need for my inevitable gap year...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just to warn you, WW didn't do adjustment this year, otherwise I might have been off there instead.
Reply 22
Is it worth going to one of the so-called "second tier" universities as they have been labelled in this forum such as Bath and Exeter which permit me to do a year in industry which I know is something I'd want to do

OR

Aim for one of the top tier universities - Wawrick/UCL/LSE despite the fact I couldn't do a sandwich course.

My academic results are very good and I'd like to think I could get offers from either of them
Original post by pezza44
Is it worth going to one of the so-called "second tier" universities as they have been labelled in this forum such as Bath and Exeter which permit me to do a year in industry which I know is something I'd want to do

OR

Aim for one of the top tier universities - Wawrick/UCL/LSE despite the fact I couldn't do a sandwich course.

My academic results are very good and I'd like to think I could get offers from either of them

It depends what you want to do after uni. For FO IB, without a doubt go for a top tier. All of the work placements at banks in the year in industry courses are BO which won't be of much help for getting into FO, compared to going to a target anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
I want to apply for economics with the following grades;
GCSEs: 10 A*s 2As
AS: AAAB (95% average for top 3)
Predictions: A*A*A*A

Do you think I can apply to Nottingham, Warwick, LSE, or UCL?
Reply 25
Original post by ParetoOptimum
UCL has never had any clearing places as far as I'm aware, and it didn't have any this year: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0814/130814-results-clearing-confirmation-adjustment. Also, uni's other than Oxbridge will always over-offer because a number of students will either decline their offer or miss the offer. I'd strongly suspect LSE econ to have a similar percentage offer to UCL and Warwick. Doesn't really indicate anything about cohort quality... UCAS points and the like would be a better indicator. And UCL is similar to Warwick and LSE in that area too.

Postgrad strength is very relevant for those who are interested in a) academics, b) a career in academia and c) a postgraduate degree. A strong postgrad department will give you the relevant brand name, the contacts, the advise, the exposure and so on. So I guess it's not too relevant to those wanting to go into business. However, from my experience, postgrad strength in economics is strongly correlated with where students end up in business. Oxbridge/UCL/LSE/Warwick all have stellar postgrad econ departments and funnily enough it is those uni's which are most heavily targeted by the banks and consultancies. There may be no direct casual link, but the correlation is there - which is useful for A-level students looking to get the best of both worlds (academics and business brand names)

I'm also just going to point out that Imperial is also very heavily targeted by banks even though they don't offer straight economics because the maths/physics course there is VERY academic (and hard) like Cambridge/ Warwick.
Reply 26
Original post by Sb123456

Easily get into Warwick, LSE, UCL with good PS depending on what subjects you did.
You could even go for Oxbridge, your grades are very very good.
A lot of people get Warwick, LSE offers with AABB AS results and the A's are not 90%.
The unis you mentioned give out more offers than places cos a fair amount chose oxbridge over them or don't meet requirements.
Reply 27
Original post by ETRC
Easily get into Warwick, LSE, UCL with good PS depending on what subjects you did.
A lot of people get Warwick, LSE offers with AABB AS results and the A's are not 90%.
The unis you mentioned give out more offers than places cos a fair amount chose oxbridge over them or don't meet requirements.

I am doing Economics, Maths, FM, and Geography at A2
Reply 28
I am doing Economics, Maths, FM, and Geography at A2

If you got 90+% on maths and FM then apply to all those, you will be fine. An A in economics will help but is not really necessary except maybe for UCL. LSE and warwick love maths and FM.
Reply 29
Original post by ETRC

Personally i would swap one offer for oxbridge. Your ums scores are top, its just the TSA which tends to get people inc myself :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by tan11
Personally i would swap one offer for oxbridge. Your ums scores are top, its just the TSA which tends to get people inc myself :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I was him I'd apply oxbridge, Warwick, LSE and UCL/Bristol

People are saying you'll 'easily' get into LSE. No-one 'easily' gets into LSE, it's as hard as Oxbridge.

Also, whilst you should consider Oxbridge, you should be wary of Cambridge calculating your average different than you did, since you do FM, so you would have to collate your maths scores and then take an average of 3 with the collective maths scores as one. If your average is >93 then you've got a chance at Cambridge.
Reply 32
Original post by ETRC
If I was him I'd apply oxbridge, Warwick, LSE and UCL/Bristol

Thanks, I'm actually a girl lol
Original post by ETRC

I don't think he would "easily" get into those 3 considering the vast majority of applicants at the Top 5 would have straight As at AS, so a B would put you at a disadvantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I don't think he would "easily" get into those 3 considering the vast majority of applicants at the Top 5 would have straight As at AS, so a B would put you at a disadvantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah but I meant that warwick hands out a lot of offers which includes STEP and quite a few people don't meet it and they don't want empty spaces so hand out more offers than some other unis in comparison.
Bristol does it a tiny bit (uni's with STEP and hard entry exams that you receive grade with A2 in aug)
And they look at predicted grades and entry exams MORE than AS grades.
And this year around 0.4 to 0.5% less got A's than last year which will only be in his favour because there would be less applicants theoretically.
Reply 35
Original post by Mike_123
People are saying you'll 'easily' get into LSE. No-one 'easily' gets into LSE, it's as hard as Oxbridge.

Also, whilst you should consider Oxbridge, you should be wary of Cambridge calculating your average different than you did, since you do FM, so you would have to collate your maths scores and then take an average of 3 with the collective maths scores as one. If your average is >93 then you've got a chance at Cambridge.

Thats because more people apply LSE than oxbridge. Oxbridge is harder per individual and LSE shortlist by looking at your predicted grades then they really shortlist further by considering your grades/ %/ PS.
Someone from LSE came to our school about applications and admitted its easier than oxbridge (probably so more from our school would apply xD).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending