The Student Room Group

I don’t want to study A-level Maths

I want to study Economics/Finance at uni (I’m also studying Economics and German), but Maths A-level is just way too difficult for me. I dropped Psychology to do it about 3 weeks ago, and I regret that decision, and I’m pretty sure it’s too late to switch back. What can I do? (I’m a Year 12 by the way)
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Zxcv1235
I want to study Economics/Finance at uni (I’m also studying Economics and German), but Maths A-level is just way too difficult for me. I dropped Psychology to do it about 3 weeks ago, and I regret that decision, and I’m pretty sure it’s too late to switch back. What can I do? (I’m a Year 12 by the way)

Hi there,
You could look into studying a BA in economics (Bachelor of Arts). Have a look the The University of Sheffield's website, at the course details for this degree.
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2024/economics-ba
You will see that you will still be expected to do an element of Maths as part of the degree, but it is not an essential A Level entry requirement, unlike the BSc option (Bachelor of Science). I would also encourage you to speak to your tutors at sixth form/college, as they will help guide you. I would say your best option is to keep going with the Maths! It may seem overwhelming at the start, but I'm sure all your A Levels will feel like this at the beginning, it is a huge step up from GCSE's.
I hope this helps!
All the best with your studies,
Lydia Messenger (Student Recruitment Assistant, The University of Sheffield)

Quick Reply

Latest