The Student Room Group

Bristol Medical School A100 Entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sydneybridge
Work experience is vital for Bristol - and being able to reflect on what you saw/learnt. It isn't enough to list what you did - you have to be able to give some insight as well.

They also look for 'an adult attitude to the realities of medicine' plus some understanding of the current/future issues within the NHS.

Grades will get you through the first sift - but the second sift (PS/reference) is the point where the majority of applicants come unstuck.

If you do get a rejection, don't let this set back put you off . Just think long and hard about what was missing from your PS and how you could improve it for next time, ie. get yourself a relevant paid job for a year or so, see the world, grow-up a bit and re-apply.

Lol how pretentious, I reflected well on my personal statement about my work experience, there genuinely can't be a reason I got rejected except the subjectivity of analysing a personal statement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Unknown505
Sorry to hear about the rejections guys, did you all get the "on hold/ we are still considering your application" email?

I did
Reply 982
Original post by NoahJ
I strongly suggest attending the tour- it gives you the opportunity to talk to Bristol students (if you're lucky, medical students)- which can be great for finding out about the university etc. from a 'real-life' perspective (which can also be pretty handy if you're asked to reflect on something like it at one of the MMI stations!)

Best of luck to everyone with an interview over the next few days!

For the medicine interviews the tours are all run by medical students
Reply 983
Original post by MedAppli
Lol how pretentious, I reflected well on my personal statement about my work experience, there genuinely can't be a reason I got rejected except the subjectivity of analysing a personal statement

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which I'm sure you're aware is very important at Bristol as 80% goes on PS.
How many others have heard literally nothing since confirmation..?
Original post by GuitaringMedic
How many others have heard literally nothing since confirmation..?

Meeee, it just means they haven't read our personal statement yet
Reply 986
Original post by RoryH
For the medicine interviews the tours are all run by medical students

Not always- they're the first to be asked by the university, but like last year proved, it's not always possible for medical students to attend all of the interviews for timetabling reasons- therefore they opened it up to non-medics, which will likely happen again. Either way, it's still really worth going on the tour!
Original post by MedAppli
Rejected, got the on hold interview, stats are
Gcse 10A*1A
AS 4A
A2 prediction 3A*1A
Lots of work experience+ extra curricular
Pretty surprised tbh but I've had 3 interviews at ucl Birmingham and Oxford so should get 1 of those

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest you really don't need Bristol at this point, I hope your other interviews went well/will go well. Your stats are amazing, what was your BMAT score though (for Oxford/UCL)? (if you don't mind me asking :colondollar:)
Original post by FrankySkinner
To be honest you really don't need Bristol at this point, I hope your other interviews went well/will go well. Your stats are amazing, what was your BMAT score though (for Oxford/UCL)? (if you don't mind me asking :colondollar:)

Bmat let me down a bit 5.7 5.9 3A

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did the interview go? What was it like :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
for people with interviews, did you guys have any medical related epq's which was talked about in the ps?
Sorry to hear about rejections. Would you mind if I ask how long before your rejection did Bristol send you that on-hold mail?
Thanks.
Original post by jamesjiang2015
Sorry to hear about rejections. Would you mind if I ask how long before your rejection did Bristol send you that on-hold mail?
Thanks.

About 3-4 weeks before, I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by doctor002
for people with interviews, did you guys have any medical related epq's which was talked about in the ps?

I think most people may stay silent as the guy was going on a lot how we should stay quiet (He repeated it quite a bit).
Original post by The_Top_Hat
I think most people may stay silent as the guy was going on a lot how we should stay quiet (He repeated it quite a bit).

Yes - to keep the whole process fair, no one who's completed the interview should divulge the contents of the interview :smile:
Original post by NoahJ
Bristol is actually re-structuring its course at the mo, but generally speaking:

years 1 and 2 are pre-clinical (learning the "sciences"- i.e. biochemistry, physiology, etc.):

year 1- lectures, seminars, GP placements, labs, histology, anatomy wet-room sessions

year 2- systems-based teaching; labs are more applied; interspersed hospital placement weeks; SSCs

years 3-5 are clinical, and can be based out in the academies or in Bristol [clinical years are very self-directed learning]:

year 3- junior medicine and surgery, pathology, orthopaedics, emergency medicine (I), ophthalmology

year 4- paediatrics, O&G, psychiatry etc. etc.

year 5- senior medicine and surgery, emergency medicine (II), elective, etc. etc.

Some friendly advice for interviewees​:

LEARN THE COURSE STRUCTURE INSIDE OUT (see website)

KNOW MORE ABOUT THE MED SCHOOL THAN WHAT YOU CAN FIND ON THE FIRST FEW WEB PAGES!

KNOW WHAT THE ACADEMY SYSTEM AT BRISTOL IS, AND ADVANTAGES & DISADVANTAGES [it would also be impressive if you could name some of the out-of-Bristol academies]

KNOW SOME OF THE RESEARCH BRISTOL TEACHING HOSPITALS/ MEDICAL SCHOOL IS ACTIVELY INVOLVED IN

KNOW WHAT SSCs ARE, AND POSSIBLY HAVE IDEAS FOR WHAT YOU MIGHT WANT TO DO YOURS IN!

KNOW THE PATHWAY FROM FIRST YEAR MED STUDENT TO CONSULTANT [NB. THERE IS MORE THAN ONE PATHWAY!]

HAVE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT BRISTOL (AS A CITY, AND AS A UNIVERSITY, BEYOND JUST THE MED SCHOOL)- i.e. demonstrate why you want to come to Bristol specifically, rather than just doing medicine anywhere that will take you!

Best of luck!

What are the other possible pathways to becoming a consultant??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mutleybm1996
What are the other possible pathways to becoming a consultant??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Check the NHS Careers website - its all there :smile:

Sorry I should have made it clear. I meant did you put anything about medical related epq in your personal statement or was it plain reflection?
Original post by doctor002
Sorry I should have made it clear. I meant did you put anything about medical related epq in your personal statement or was it plain reflection?

I mentioned it in like 4 words, had other stuff to talk about so didn't take too much time with it.
I mentioned it in like 4 words, had other stuff to talk about so didn't take too much time with it.

that's good, it so difficult to tell what exactly they are looking for in the ps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending