The Student Room Group

Can I get Scottish citizenship if I move there just before they declare independence?

I'm just wondering will a British citizen have the choice to become Scottish if they move there just before Scotland declare independence? Say the person has no ancestral connection to Scotland and has never been there before.
No-one has any idea, it has not been negotiated, or plans laid out is both the long and short answer.
(edited 9 years ago)
I dunno what citizenship I'm getting if it goes independent and I've lived here since I was eight.

*shrugs*

Your guess is as good as ours.
Original post by Cryptographic
No-one has any idea, it has not been negotiated, or plans laid out is both the long and short answer.

This is another thing which hasn't been addressed. How many people living in England, Wales and NI will they allow to get citizenship? I go to uni in England at the moment and I've put my address as my dad's house in England.

What they're asking is 'would you like this, just basic from the heart off the top of your head with no detail of positive or negative changes' and then they're going to do everything to make sure "we're" (because I don't know where I stand since I'm in both England and Scotland) independent even if it makes everything incredibly hard to adapt to, etc.

"Oh you can't withdraw money from your account in this country"

"Oh your pension doesn't work in this country" (Armed Forces family so I dunno who pays what to those in Scotland)

At least the only thing which isn't compatible is training as a lawyer, long since established due to English and Scots law's continued separate existence.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mauryan
I'm just wondering will a British citizen have the choice to become Scottish if they move there just before Scotland declare independence? Say the person has no ancestral connection to Scotland and has never been there before.

Yes you can move to Scotland before 2016. After independence they want open borders with the EU and England anyway.

I'll be a dual citizen personally since I'm of Scottish birth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending