The Student Room Group

The Mesut Ozil question

Scroll to see replies

I don't know whether the reason is that Ozil just doesn't suit the Premier League, eg a Veron, Shevchenko, Robinho type player, or he just doesn't fit in at Arsenal.

If Arsenal didn't have Ramsey and Wilshere then maybe he would get more scope to show what he could do but Wenger has congested Arsenal with a lot of attacking midfielders for a while.

Fergie pointed this out in his book, when he was talking about Arsenal's decline since 2004, when they needed to stiffen up the defensive areas of the team Wenger seemed curiously keen to splash a lot of Arsenals (limited) resources on collecting the same type of player: Rosicky, Ramsey, Nasri, Arshavin, Cazorla and now Ozil.

With these signings he was taking a gamble on whether they would fit in to the Premier League: Nasri and Ramsey yes, Rosicky, Cazorla OK, Arshavin, Ozil no.

The big irony was how Wenger responded when he had the chance to sign Fabregas for £27m. He couldn't have had any more certainty about how Fabregas would fit in to either the Premier League or Arsenal but that was the one he passed over.

Now all the speculation at Old Trafford is that Mata is going to be made available in the January transfer window. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see him turn up at the Emirates.
I like Ozil but feel Arsenal would have been wiser to spend the £42.4m they paid for him on a Real Madrid player that was available, in a department that Arsenal needed strengthening, but let that player go to another club: Gonzalo Higuain.

Ozil signing was a panic buy in same way United bought Fellaini and Mata. A shame because Ozil does have the immense quality but you have to accept his workrate might not be great although stats say he covers alot of ground but if Arsenal had a stronger defence, a tough DM then Ozil's poor perforances could be protected.
Reply 22
Baffled that Arsenal missed the chance to sign Higuain personally.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I don't think Ozil was what Arsenal needed and I don't think he particularly fits in. Ozil's signing was a product of the mood of the times, it was a a kind of upmarket panic buy, similar to what United have been doing this season.

Remember the mood at Arsenal in summer 2013, for a long time they had been seen as a selling club. Summer 2013 was going to be the year they 'went big' and reversed that. First the big signing was going to be Higuain, then it was Suarez. Neither came (with hindsight, had Suarez rather than Ozil signed for them last summer, I think Arsenal would have won the title).

So transfer deadline day approaches and Arsenal haven't delivered their big signing, their signal that they are actually a buying club that can attract the major names in the game. The first game of the season they get beat by Villa. The pressure is now at breaking point.

There are two schools of thought in this situation. One is, don't bow to pressure to spend for the sake of spending, only make a signing if it's what you exactly need in a position that needs addressing. The other is that you never get anywhere by taking risks, sometimes you need to aim big and take a bit of a punt on uncertainty.

Usually Arsene Wenger is from school one but on this occasion he was from school two and the irony is a very un-Wenger like decision has cost Arsenal a lot of money. He's not a complete flop but he is no way worth the £42.5m that was spent. I am starting to wonder whether in about 12 to 18 months we will see Ozil leave Arsenal for about £30m. He will still be able to command a big fee in Germany or Spain where he is very highly rated, but they won't get their money back on him. They paid over the odds because they were pressed to make a big signing on deadline day, just like United have paid over the odds this time around.

However looking at the bigger picture I think Arsenal fans will probably not want to criticise Wenger too much for his decision to sign Ozil. The second school of thought above, that sometimes you need to aim big and take a bit of a punt means you will sometimes get things wrong or 'not quite right'. Alex Ferguson was a classic exponent of this: look at the huge fees he laid down for Veron and Berbatov, who were Ozil-like signings. Also I'm sure Arsenal fans have had a good laugh at Chelsea over the years for the likes of Shevchenko and Torres but they would rather have won Chelsea's trophies over that time.

The Ozil signing did send the signal out that Arsenal can now punch at the top in terms of attracting top players, because whatever his patchy form for Arsenal, Ozil is still regarded as one of the biggest names in the game. Arsenal took another punt on a big signing this year in Sanchez who looks like he is going to be one of the best signings Arsenal have made in a long time.

The real regret for Arsenal comes in the context of Fabregas. Had Arsenal not got Ozil, I reckon they would have taken Fabregas back and we all know who the better player in the Premier League is. Wenger got criticised for a decision to sell RVP to United deciding where the title went that season, I think he decided where the title will go this season when he let Fabregas join Chelsea.

git gud gramma natzi, you speak the truth but boy do you have way too much free time.
Reply 24
Original post by Tom_Ford
Thing is though, I think that because of his lack of ability to cover enough of the pitch in the big games, Jack and Rambo are actually the better options through the centre. It is that lack of workrate/pitch coverage that makes him too one-dimensional through the centre when we are playing the likes of City. It is not like Spain where you can just dawdle around, arguably.

You have a point, but at the starting of Arsenal career he did play his position and as i watched him it did seem he was doing his job well enough to get him MOTM's and praise from BPL fans. That's not the point, if he doesn't play his real position, nor his second best, i don't see why people have to criticise him, if what you're saying is true, he'd have struggled in BBVA too where he was regarded as one of the best in the world. Well he still is in my view :wink:
Brilliant today. He must play in a central role.
Original post by Biryani007
Lol my friend has and she was going on about how pretty the women are.

Can confirm.
Original post by Blackshadow
Can confirm.

Errybody knowz
Reply 28
Got to start centrally week in, week out now.
Dunno how you can say berbatov did not fit In to the premier league he scored uniteds most goals In that season and had he been given games I've no doubt he could have scored a ton more for them. He was also a stalwart at spurs before hand so I disagree massively that berbatov didn't fit In to the premier league
If Higuan was available on deadline day, they probably would have spent £40m on him.

From what I remember Arsenal had agreed personal terms and were negotiating with Real, then Napoli sell Cavani and suddenly want a replacement which causes Real to bump up the asking price by £10m. You can see why Wenger decided to pursue Suarez instead, better player and proven in the Premier League.

Quick Reply

Latest