The Student Room Group

AS and A2 help please?

Hi everyone! I'm having trouble understanding how A levels work (I just moved here, I'm Argentine and we only did GCSEs at my school)
If I do an AS on History, can I only take History for A2? Are AS and A2s connected?
Thank you for your time!
Original post by martu
Hi everyone! I'm having trouble understanding how A levels work (I just moved here, I'm Argentine and we only did GCSEs at my school)
If I do an AS on History, can I only take History for A2? Are AS and A2s connected?
Thank you for your time!

You get to pick three or four subjects for AS, then at A2 you continue the same subjects. However if you did four subjects at AS you may choose to drop one for A2.

For example at AS I did Biology, Chemistry, Maths and psychology
For A2 I did Biology, Chemistry and Maths
Reply 2
Original post by Ermahgerdexams
You get to pick three or four subjects for AS, then at A2 you continue the same subjects. However if you did four subjects at AS you may choose to drop one for A2.

For example at AS I did Biology, Chemistry, Maths and psychology
For A2 I did Biology, Chemistry and Maths

Thank you!!! :biggrin: I understand now!
Original post by martu
Thank you for your time!

Yes, AS and A2 are connected. A2 carries on from AS. Currently if you do an AS you can carry it on to A2 or drop it. You can do more than one AS level at a time, and then carry on with the subjects you have chosen into A2.
You can only take a subject at A2 once you have completed the AS.
Reply 4
AS is the first half of an A-level, A2 is the second half. So to do the A2, you must first do the AS in the same subject. Typically three A-levels are studied, though most will study an extra AS and not continue it to make the full A-level.

Quick Reply

Latest