The Student Room Group

Laptop for maths?

I'm starting a maths degree in a couple of weeks and wanted to know from any current students/ staff if a laptop is needed or a waste of money. I have an iPad if this makes any difference.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unless you're expected to do any form of programming or Matlab work I would say an iPad would be fine. You can always do programming on uni computers. I personally couldn't live without my laptop, so useful, but I guess there's no reason I couldn't have done my degree with an iPad instead.
Reply 2
You don't necessarily NEED one but its nice to have just to do stuff on. You won't need it for anything specifically maths-related. You can perfectly make do with an iPad. I have a nexus 7 and i find it a bit fiddly to just go on Facebook and stuff so I bought myself a laptop (don't want to take my bulky and noisy desktop to uni with me)
A laptop isn't necessary it's just good for those last minute assignments you have to type up - It saves you from travelling to uni to find a computer (which you aren't guaranteed especially when it gets closer to exam time). A laptop just makes things a lot easier but you could survive without one if you wanted to,
I think a laptop would be useful. At my uni, we have computer based assignments that wouldn't work properly on an iPad. Also any programming you have to do would require a computer, and I imagine you will be using programming (like matlab, or maple).

You could always go to your university library and use the computers there, but I think a laptop would be good for you to buy because it means you don't need to leave your room if you have one. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest