The Student Room Group

Is Yorkshire independence a 'good or bad' thing?

Poll

How would you vote? (Probably wouldn't be accurate if you're not from Yorkshire...)

Deleted
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I live in West Yorkshire and i very much wish to remain as part of the UK.

If we must be independent then we need to drop a few of the drains from the map below, namely Rotherham, Doncaster and Goole

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Bad if it means no more Yorkshire Tea...
Kind of ****s over everywhere in England North of Yorkshire. :tongue:

If everyone hates Westminster so much, vote them out? Most of the UK's constituencies aren't in London. Becoming independent because the party in power isn't the one you voted for is ridiculous.
Original post by PythianLegume
Kind of ****s over everywhere in England North of Yorkshire. :tongue:

If everyone hates Westminster so much, vote them out? Most of the UK's constituencies aren't in London. Becoming independent because the party in power isn't the one you voted for is ridiculous.

We want independence from the institution of Westminster, not the government. Westminster has an unelected House of Lords for which WE CANNOT VOTE OUT. It has laws for WHICH WE DON'T VOTE FOR and can't. We don't choose Primeministerial candidates from political parties, the parties do it for us. We do not propose laws.

Every 5 years we vote for a government which has no obligation to fulfill it's promises. Every 5 years we have a government that the majority of the country are against. Why is this?

Please check out the video linked in the original post entitled 'FPTP'. It explains how our FPTP system allows for a minority government to rule over a majority that did not vote for it.

Did you vote for the coalition? If you voted Lib dem or Tory did you vote for them to be in a coalition? Did you vote for the bedroom tax.

No, you voted for a name, a name that can do whatever it wants and has no accountability.

Original post by Mackay
Bad if it means no more Yorkshire Tea...

:tongue: Yorkshire can still trade it's finest export, that along with Yorkshire puddings and whippets.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KrisCussans
We want independence from the institution of Westminster, not the government. Westminster has an unelected House of Lords for which WE CANNOT VOTE OUT. It has laws for WHICH WE DON'T VOTE FOR and can't. We don't choose Primeministerial candidates from political parties, the parties do it for us. We do not propose laws.

Every 5 years we vote for a government which has no obligation to fulfill it's promises. Every 5 years we have a government that the majority of the country are against. Why is this?

Please check out the video linked in the original post entitled 'FPTP'. It explains how our FPTP system allows for a minority government to rule over a majority that did not vote for it.

Did you vote for the coalition? If you voted Lib dem or Tory did you vote for them to be in a coalition? Did you vote for the bedroom tax.

No, you voted for a name, a name that can do whatever it wants and has no accountability.

:tongue: Yorkshire can still trade it's finest export, that along with Yorkshire puddings and whippets.

Well then you can vote for a party which promises Parliamentary reform.
Original post by PythianLegume
Well then you can vote for a party which promises Parliamentary reform.

No you can't.

Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tWHJfhiyo

What chance do third parties have in a FPTP general election? How is it in the interest of a broadchurch parties like New Labour or the Tories to reform anything in the way of our broken political system?
Reply 7

Yorkshire can still trade it's finest export, that along with Yorkshire puddings and whippets.

And Arctic Monkeys, Pulp, Tetley's, the Bronte sisters, Chris Morris, Educating Yorkshire...what a region.
Original post by Mackay
And Arctic Monkeys, Pulp, Tetley's, the Bronte sisters, Chris Morris, Educating Yorkshire...what a region.

You forget Brian Blessed and Sean Bean. :tongue:

Wallace and Gromit is a classic too.

Yorkshire's got some creativity like elsewhere, it would just have more chance to flourish without Westminster bringing in minority governments, introducing laws we don't want and so on etc. etc.

I'm not a regionalist, I'm not a Yorkshirephile (if that's a word), I simply think that independence is the best way to stop Westminster and strike us a better deal. Similar to that of Scotland, they don't want independence for the sake of Braveheart, shortbread and haggis. It is for bettering their political system.
Reply 9

Wallace and Gromit is a classic too.

Cheese!
I think a FEDERAL UK Would be Good.
We need a "no" vote to achieve this.
Reply 11
Right, I don't want to get involved in this too much but, Jesus Christ, a federal UK would be a hellish idea.
Original post by Mackay
Right, I don't want to get involved in this too much but, Jesus Christ, a federal UK would be a hellish idea.

In what sense?
It works well in Germany, Canada, Australia, Switzerland, and American.

Why is it hellish?
Brilliantly said.

Can you copy and paste the first couple of paragraphs on the scottish independence thread? Some on there are seriously misguided as to why some of us want independence.
Original post by Jordooooom
Brilliantly said.

Can you copy and paste the first couple of paragraphs on the scottish independence thread? Some on there are seriously misguided as to why some of us want independence.

Oh no we're not...
Original post by FredOrJohn
I think a FEDERAL UK Would be Good.
We need a "no" vote to achieve this.

Nailed it. We should totally do that. Some people say Britain's too small but Germany's split into sixteen Bundesländer so we could make do with a few fewer than that quite easily. People would feel so much better represented. It's a shame there isn't enough demand for it.
Devolution for Yorkshire and other regions would definitely be a good idea - it would give people living in that region more power over how their region is run. Yorkshire's economy is apparently bigger than that of Wales, but Wales has some powers devolved. Our current system is far too London-centric and that needs to change.

Full independence for Yorkshire would probably be a bad idea and is not on the cards at the moment, but I'm not quite sure myself. You never know how circumstances might change over the next few decades.
Original post by RFowler
Devolution for Yorkshire and other regions would definitely be a good idea - it would give people living in that region more power over how their region is run. Yorkshire's economy is apparently bigger than that of Wales, but Wales has some powers devolved. Our current system is far too London-centric and that needs to change.

Exactly, it makes sense that Yorkshire a country with more population and a larger economy get devolution, but yet it has not been offered.

Original post by RFowler
Full independence for Yorkshire would probably be a bad idea and is not on the cards at the moment, but I'm not quite sure myself. You never know how circumstances might change over the next few decades.

A bad idea how?
It seems to look like a good idea for Scotland at the moment.
Original post by mrfletch
Nailed it. We should totally do that. Some people say Britain's too small but Germany's split into sixteen Bundesländer so we could make do with a few fewer than that quite easily. People would feel so much better represented. It's a shame there isn't enough demand for it.

A federation wouldn't cut it, it does nothing to defeat the underlying problem. What does the USA suffer in politics? The electoral college in Washington D.C. What does the UK suffer? The lower and upper houses in Westminster.

A federation does not change the problem, we need to, at very least, abolish the upper house (House of Lords) and reform the lower house elections to encompass a good form of proportional representation with some sort of body to hold our MPs to account, this could be in the form of a constitution. It is not democratic when we have so much money in our system that Westminster serves the interests of the highest bidder rather than that of everybody else.

Federalism grants autonomy, it does not fix the problem of Westminster. It does not provide us with much needed democracy.
Reply 19
Hate Brussels, not Westminster.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending