The Student Room Group

Step up to Social Work 2022

Hello, is anyone applying for cohort 6l7 of the Step up programme? I've just submitted my application. I'd love to know you're experiences

Scroll to see replies

Hi good luck with your application! I’m applying too, which partnership are you applying to?
Reply 2
Original post by Millie259
Hi good luck with your application! I’m applying too, which partnership are you applying to?

North Yorkshire. How about you?
London. How did you find the application? You got it in quick!
Reply 4
hi do you know how many characters is equal to 250 words?I am struggling with the word count,not enough to write all my answers
Reply 5
Hi all

I am applying too yes I found it hard keeping to the word count so very brief. Not sure I will get through though have everything that’s asked and ex teacher. One stumbling block my maths GCSE is a D ....
Reply 6
Hi all, ex student here

Age doesn’t matter. As long as your are currently working with children, adults, the vulnerable atm, or have a different job but have current/recent volunteering experience you are are fine to apply.
You need all of the other application criteria. It is highly competitive, so you won’t get through without your GCSEs for example.
Final year students will not be accepted, they don’t make exceptions, as you won’t have qualified in time for the assessment centre. They also can’t offer conditional offers based on predicted grades because nearly 10,000 people apply.
Advice for application is, absolutely stick to the word count and answer the question. These questions are preparation for your essay writing, so you need to show you can write to a good academic standard. And also proof you have the ability to write concisely for when you qualify, as this is important for when you become social workers and are writing reports and case notes. They want to see that you are human, have resilience, good communication skills and evidence that you have helped people help themselves through a person centred approach (look it up ). Absolutely get to know the PCFs. Back to front!
They contact you only after the application date has closed. Not before. There are some long waits. Applications closed for the current cohort, March 2019 and I heard back for next stage in May. I was invited to assessment centre in June, and was told I was successful end of July. It takes up most of your year.
My advice is to crack on and fill the gaps with volunteering or reading up on social worker practice, theories, and have a generally good understanding of social care in general.
Good luck! X
Reply 7
Original post by Sully29
Hi all, ex student here

Age doesn’t matter. As long as your are currently working with children, adults, the vulnerable atm, or have a different job but have current/recent volunteering experience you are are fine to apply.
You need all of the other application criteria. It is highly competitive, so you won’t get through without your GCSEs for example.
Final year students will not be accepted, they don’t make exceptions, as you won’t have qualified in time for the assessment centre. They also can’t offer conditional offers based on predicted grades because nearly 10,000 people apply.
Advice for application is, absolutely stick to the word count and answer the question. These questions are preparation for your essay writing, so you need to show you can write to a good academic standard. And also proof you have the ability to write concisely for when you qualify, as this is important for when you become social workers and are writing reports and case notes. They want to see that you are human, have resilience, good communication skills and evidence that you have helped people help themselves through a person centred approach (look it up ). Absolutely get to know the PCFs. Back to front!
They contact you only after the application date has closed. Not before. There are some long waits. Applications closed for the current cohort, March 2019 and I heard back for next stage in May. I was invited to assessment centre in June, and was told I was successful end of July. It takes up most of your year.
My advice is to crack on and fill the gaps with volunteering or reading up on social worker practice, theories, and have a generally good understanding of social care in general.
Good luck! X

Great advice, thank you
Thanks for this! I'm applying for the North West.....I've tried asking the course administrator but got nowhere.....is it a full time, full year course (I currently work term time)......and what are the expectations to attend uni? (I've two young children
Reply 9
Original post by RachW1982
Thanks for this! I'm applying for the North West.....I've tried asking the course administrator but got nowhere.....is it a full time, full year course (I currently work term time)......and what are the expectations to attend uni? (I've two young children

It’s a full time course, every day, 14 months. The first 3 months are uni every day, 10-4ish. Then adult placement for 70 days - essentially a full time job 9-5. Then back to uni for just under 3 months full time for children’s module, then back on placement for 100 days full time placement. So people had kids, but the course becomes your job, that’s why we get a bursary. Some people had Saturday jobs, or the odd evening to top up, but people quickly quit these because the course was so demanding. You need every spare second for the academic work.
Hope that helps x
Original post by Sully29
It’s a full time course, every day, 14 months. The first 3 months are uni every day, 10-4ish. Then adult placement for 70 days - essentially a full time job 9-5. Then back to uni for just under 3 months full time for children’s module, then back on placement for 100 days full time placement. So people had kids, but the course becomes your job, that’s why we get a bursary. Some people had Saturday jobs, or the odd evening to top up, but people quickly quit these because the course was so demanding. You need every spare second for the academic work.
Hope that helps x

Thank you....it does....
I'm planning on it being my only 'job' whilst on the course......I'm just conscious about how much childcare will be needed...especially during the school holidays.....and if I'll get chance to spend anytime with them whilst they are off school. Rx
Reply 11
Original post by RachW1982
Thank you....it does....
I'm planning on it being my only 'job' whilst on the course......I'm just conscious about how much childcare will be needed...especially during the school holidays.....and if I'll get chance to spend anytime with them whilst they are off school. Rx

My class, of those who were parents said it was mega hard and unfortunately and sadly, no they didn’t get to spend much time with their children. They relied on friends, spouses and grandparents. 14 months went very quickly though, and the goal is to have a better job/career/wage for you and ultimately them, so that’s why they did it. They’ve all passed. Summer holidays were hard though xx
From what I gather the timetable varies quite a lot across LA’s. I’ve spoken with others who have had a similar experience to @Sully29 but also some who have had a max of 3 week block at uni (once during the course) with the majority of the course being 4 days a week on placement and 1 day at uni. Also with ‘breaks’ where there is no placement or uni but independent study is expected
Reply 13
Original post by Millie259
From what I gather the timetable varies quite a lot across LA’s. I’ve spoken with others who have had a similar experience to @Sully29 but also some who have had a max of 3 week block at uni (once during the course) with the majority of the course being 4 days a week on placement and 1 day at uni. Also with ‘breaks’ where there is no placement or uni but independent study is expected

Yeah you’re right there for sure. It is slightly different per LA. However I would say, from us all speaking to others around the country during the course, that the intensity is still the same, no matter the set up it’s still a full time course. I was a bit naive and thought I could use the study days for days off, but quickly found I was behind and kicking myself when I was up till the crack of dawn!
I have no current experience in the last 5 years, i have been a carer for my husband who had a stroke 4 years ago - just as i was about to return to work after 18months of maternity leave. I do, however, have a 1st class honours degree in youth work and 11 years of working with vulnerable young children and families. Do you think my lack of active experience in the last 5 years will hold me back?
Reply 15
Original post by brickbat
I have no current experience in the last 5 years, i have been a carer for my husband who had a stroke 4 years ago - just as i was about to return to work after 18months of maternity leave. I do, however, have a 1st class honours degree in youth work and 11 years of working with vulnerable young children and families. Do you think my lack of active experience in the last 5 years will hold me back?

It’s sounds like you have loads of experience. I would check the questions on the application. The Manchester one last year said tell me about your current experience of working with someone vulnerable. This may have changed. However arguably you have been looking after your husband who’s vulnerable and I’m sure you’ve come across loads of obstacles. I would suggest using this as your current experience. But check the application :smile: good luck xx
Hi I'm applying for the step up to work programme, just worried I don't have the experience needed !I've been working as a personal assistant for a disabled and vulnerable client from childhood to adult for 10 years part time. A few experiences of voluntary work in secondary schools and looking after my vulnerable father part time unpaid but I've been mostly a stay at home parent apart from that. My last degree was in a completely different subject too.Is that enough experience to apply? It's the only thing that's worrying me and making me think I don't have the experience so not to press the apply button!I just need to fill out the questions then it's ready to send abit anxious of getting those questions answered in a short amount of words!
Reply 17
Original post by Louisap59
Hi I'm applying for the step up to work programme, just worried I don't have the experience needed !I've been working as a personal assistant for a disabled and vulnerable client from childhood to adult for 10 years part time. A few experiences of voluntary work in secondary schools and looking after my vulnerable father part time unpaid but I've been mostly a stay at home parent apart from that. My last degree was in a completely different subject too.Is that enough experience to apply? It's the only thing that's worrying me and making me think I don't have the experience so not to press the apply button!I just need to fill out the questions then it's ready to send abit anxious of getting those questions answered in a short amount of words!

That’s plenty of experience! They also encourage you to use your real life experiences too. My degree was completely irrelevant, then I was working in primary schools with vulnerable kids and I got it :smile: some one else was a vet as well. Just stick to the question and the word count and go for it x
Original post by Sully29
That’s plenty of experience! They also encourage you to use your real life experiences too. My degree was completely irrelevant, then I was working in primary schools with vulnerable kids and I got it :smile: some one else was a vet as well. Just stick to the question and the word count and go for it x

Amazing thank-you, I finally finished the questions and submitted. I had to cut words down alot so glad I used word and then copied and pasted lol. I hope I've answered them well enough. 🙈

Thanks for the encouragement! How long do we have to wait to find out if successful or not, I can't remember if it said on the website? X
Reply 19
Original post by Louisap59
Amazing thank-you, I finally finished the questions and submitted. I had to cut words down alot so glad I used word and then copied and pasted lol. I hope I've answered them well enough. 🙈

Thanks for the encouragement! How long do we have to wait to find out if successful or not, I can't remember if it said on the website? X

Congrats!
Up there I posted my first post answering a load of different questions, and I wrote about timescales up there. Hope it’s helpful x

Quick Reply

Latest