The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

"My year in the industry changed everything" - Paramedic Science Student Profile

Recent graduate Devon Mitchell-McCann completed her four-year degree in BSc (Hons) Paramedic Science, she now enjoys a rewarding career as a fully qualified paramedic for the Yorkshire Ambulance Service.

This is Devon's story.

Devon-with-student-nurses.jpg

On the frontline
I've been out on the road as a paramedic since last autumn. I was working as an emergency medical technician (Tech 2) at Yorkshire Ambulance Service during my placement year. That's the role you work in before you become a paramedic.

The fourth year of the BSc (Hons) Paramedic Science degree progresses you from being a Tech 2 to becoming a fully qualified paramedic.

What's next?
In the future, I'd like to do outreach work. In the summer of 2022, the University helped me to secure a grant for the Turing Scheme to volunteer for three weeks at an emergency hospital in Tanzania. They don't have an established ambulance service over there, so I used my skills in A&E instead.

Working in such an alternative environment to what we're used to in the UK while helping people, and having to make on-the-spot decisions and improvise, was one of the best things I've ever done.

I wouldn't have been able to do this life-changing trip without the Turing grant, and Bradford helped me every step of the way.

Day-to-day life
Every decision is yours as a paramedic, it's not like you can rely on a big team around you or wait for instructions from doctors on a ward. I was overwhelmed by the prospect in the first few years of University; I didn't think I'd be able to do it, despite my tutors constantly reassuring me that I would. But in my third year, when I went to work with the Yorkshire Ambulance Service for my year-long placement, it all just clicked. I had no prior medical experience, so it was really important for me to get that solid workplace training before I completed my degree. It gave me such a great opportunity to get used to the local hospitals and get to know my future employer. It made the transition so much easier.

I applied to the University of Bradford as I liked the strong links that they had with the Yorkshire Ambulance Service.

The role university plays in Paramedics
The routes to become a paramedic have changed over the years.

Many people might not realise that you need a university degree to qualify as a paramedic now. You used to be able to get in via an apprenticeship, then there was also a diploma. However, by the time I was looking into it as a career choice, it had changed to needing a full degree.

I applied to do the Paramedic Science course at the University of Bradford because the third year in industry was essential for me as a practical learner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending