The Student Room Group

Am I at fault here or is she being stupid/overreacting?

I was talking to my friend (girl) and I asked where what she is up to? She came on whatsapp, read the message but didn't reply. Then, I messaged again and said "Busy?"

10 min later she came back on whatsapp, read the message, but still didn't reply.

Then I got angry. And I messaged again saying if you are busy then tell me etc.

And then she replied. She wrote:

"Lol in this country people are different.. I don't understand.. If I don't reply it means I'm busy.. So you shouldn't insist"

I (wanting to avoid any unnecessary argument) just said sorry and then she said thank u. Convo ended.

Is it my fault? Was I being too pushy and should I have waited for her to reply to my 1st message before messaging again?

The only reason I messaged again was because she read my first message and didn't reply. Then I messaged again and asked if she is busy? She could have just said yes and I wouldn't message again. But instead she came back on whatsapp and read that message too and still didn't reply.

That got me angry. If you can come on whatsapp twice, you can send a quick message and say you are busy.

Usually when we talk, it's pretty much instant replies.

Maybe I am a bit insistent but I don't like when she does that.

Anyway next time I won't "insist" again.

Scroll to see replies

Yes, you were at fault.
Well anyway this TV show's rubbish, might go for a walk
Reply 3
Also, when she says she is busy for example..

I have a tendency to ask what are you busy with?

I know that is such a no no but sometimes I just say things without thinking and then I regret it.

How do I stop this?
Reply 4
Pointless - she told you what you need to know.

Also - you cannot tell if someone has read anything on whatsapp. One tick means sent, two ticks means delivered to the phone. No way to tell if someone has read. Can only see if been online if it's turned on.
Reply 5
Original post by mindbodylife
Also, when she says she is busy for example..

I have a tendency to ask what are you busy with?

I know that is such a no no but sometimes I just say things without thinking and then I regret it.

How do I stop this?

Errrrr.? Are you trying to aggravate her and drive her away. Because you are doing it all.

Just stop and don't send things till you use your brain? Like 5 minutes till you send. Maybe longer since you seem to think all this hassling is is going to make her like you.
Reply 6
Original post by Crumpet1
Yes, you were at fault.

So next time, just wait for a reply and not message again, right?
Reply 7
Original post by Inazuma
Pointless - she told you what you need to know.

Also - you cannot tell if someone has read anything on whatsapp. One tick means sent, two ticks means delivered to the phone. No way to tell if someone has read. Can only see if been online if it's turned on.

Ah ok lesson learned.

Well, her time stamp changed to after I sent the message so obviously she had seen it. And it showed "online" when she went again.

Right. Being pushy, demanding and needy is not attractive.
Reply 9
Original post by Inazuma
Errrrr.? Are you trying to aggravate her and drive her away. Because you are doing it all.

Just stop and don't send things till you use your brain? Like 5 minutes till you send. Maybe longer since you seem to think all this hassling is is going to make her like you.

Lol yeah ok. I will think before I say anything now.
Original post by Crumpet1
Right. Being pushy, demanding and needy is not attractive.

Ok got it. Thank you.

yes, at least not until another day.
I hate getting ignored to, no you're not a fault. She can at least have the respect to say she's busy instead of being ignorant and ignoring you.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
yes, at least not until another day.

Ok. Let's say this happens again, I message her, she reads it but doesn't reply, and then I message her say the next day. Do I bring up the fact the she ignored me the previous day or should I pretend it never happened (and stop letting these small things affect me)

I don't know I just paranoid that maybe I've done something wrong and that's why she is not replying or something :/
Original post by Adammartin95
I hate getting ignored to, no you're not a fault. She can at least have the respect to say she's busy instead of being ignorant and ignoring you.

I know right. That's what I am thinking. She came on whatsapp 3 times after I messaged. At least just say you're busy. But I won't insist again that's for sure.
Ok. Let's say this happens again, I message her, she reads it but doesn't reply, and then I message her say the next day. Do I bring up the fact the she ignored me the previous day or should I pretend it never happened (and stop letting these small things affect me)

I don't know I just paranoid that maybe I've done something wrong and that's why she is not replying or something :/

If you message her the next day, pretend the previous day never happened. And yep stop letting the small things affect you.
Just open with a "hi, how are you today?" - if she replies, great, carry on the conversation. If she doesn't reply, just leave it until the following day, or even leave it a couple of days, and then reopen with just a "hi" or "wassssuuuupppp?!" if you're feeling quirky :wink:

but don't bring up the fact that she previously didn't reply.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
If you message her the next day, pretend the previous day never happened. And yep stop letting the small things affect you.
Just open with a "hi, how are you today?" - if she replies, great, carry on the conversation. If she doesn't reply, just leave it until the following day, or even leave it a couple of days, and then reopen with just a "hi" or "wassssuuuupppp?!" if you're feeling quirky :wink:

but don't bring up the fact that she previously didn't reply.

Ok got it. Thanks :smile:
I know right. That's what I am thinking. She came on whatsapp 3 times after I messaged. At least just say you're busy. But I won't insist again that's for sure.

I think that problem was that you said something like, 'if you're busy let me know,' which was a bit uncalled for, just because you didn't get an instant response. You could've worded it more politely so it didn't sound like she'd done something wrong (which of course she hadn't).

Anyway, sounds like you learned your lesson. It's good that you recognise it and know how to change your approach in future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Calm your bits bud.

If people reply they aren't busy, that's about all you need to know, otherwise they might have a reason for not replying or they are just busy.
Original post by addylad
I think that problem was that you said something like, 'if you're busy let me know,' which was a bit uncalled for, just because you didn't get an instant response. You could've worded it more politely so it didn't sound like she'd done something wrong (which of course she hadn't).

Anyway, sounds like you learned your lesson. It's good that you recognise it and know how to change your approach in future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm maybe.
Yh lesson learned. It's just that I get kind of annoyed when she does "ignores" me. And I just suddenly get the feeling that I have done something wrong or something.. :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending