The Student Room Group

Could I get into UCL, KCL or Manchester's MPharmacy with IB score of 37?

Hi, i'm new here. So I finished my IBDP in May 2014 with the scores of 6,6,6 in HL Physics, Math and Chemistry and 5,6,7 in SL English A-Literature, Economics and Chinese B with a total score of 37. I was wondering what my chances are at entering Pharmacy as I'm taking a gap year. I've applied during my IBDP to UCL's Biomedical Engineering and they've accepted me so does that mean I'm a considerable candidate? Thanks guys!
Well a quick look on the internet suggests that you meet the requirements for KCL and UCL but not for Manchester (who require biology at least to standard level).
Original post by ByronicHero
Well a quick look on the internet suggests that you meet the requirements for KCL and UCL but not for Manchester (who require biology at least to standard level).

Why would she want to go to Manchester if she's been accepted to UCL/KCL?
Original post by thefailure
Why would she want to go to Manchester if she's been accepted to UCL/KCL?

Different people want different things and they've not been accepted to UCL for the course they want to do. The title of the thread clearly asks a question and I answered it, their personal reasons for being interested in those universities are none of my business if they choose not to make them so.
Reply 4
@ByronicHero, well University of Manchester said that i only need:

Successful completion of the Baccalaureate, 35 points overall including:

6 in Chemistry
6 and 5 in EITHER Mathematics or Biology and one other rigorous academic subject
All at Higher level
(http://www.pharmacy.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/pharmacy/coursedetails/?code=01695&pg=3)

But anyways, do you think I have a high chance in getting into the programme? I know Pharmacy is competitive but I do think meeting their conditions with my rigorous HLs gives me an edge though.
Original post by tangkai2
Hi, i'm new here. So I finished my IBDP in May 2014 with the scores of 6,6,6 in HL Physics, Math and Chemistry and 5,6,7 in SL English A-Literature, Economics and Chinese B with a total score of 37. I was wondering what my chances are at entering Pharmacy as I'm taking a gap year. I've applied during my IBDP to UCL's Biomedical Engineering and they've accepted me so does that mean I'm a considerable candidate? Thanks guys!

Reevaluate what you want from a career, your grades are fine for pharmacy (as a former IB student, I was accepted everywhere with 6s across the board and a gap year working in a clinical laboratory).
In my honest humble opinion biomedical engineering at UCL will open more doors for you than pharmacy (unless you are looking to purely practise as a clinical pharmacist). Biomedical engineering will teach you to think more strategically while the pharmacy course is more vocational in working towards practical application of clinical knowledge.
You should also be mindful of the saturation of pharmacists in the UK that is driving down salaries, by the time your pre-registration year comes there may not be enough training places to cater for all pharmacy students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending