The Student Room Group

RAF Logs Driver - First Posting Advice

Any help will be greatly appreciated guys :smile:

I'm about to graduate phase 2 of training as a driver. As you probably guessed from the title, I'm also choosing my first posting.

I've got some decent advice from my 1 up but I'm after a more rounded and full opinion of where's good to be.

Im after good single living accommodation, the ability to cook my own food, a good gym and a decent mess.

Basically, I'm just unaware if every base has SLAM or not? Is there anywhere to avoid?
They are probably the worst reasons to want somewhere for a first posting.

You want to go somewhere where you will have the chance to do interesting work, get to operate a lot of different vehicles (notice I didn't just say 'drive'), travel and then perhaps look at the points you raise.
Most everywhere has SLAM these days and I think Pay As You Dine is also pretty much everywhere. Most people who still have old fashioned messing really want to hold on to it but there you go.
I've not ever been to a base with a bad gym.

You want to go to the busiest place with the most active MT section. Somewhere with plenty flying so there is a larger fleet of vehicles to operate. Anything else is secondary and you'll not be there for ever. Your happiness will depend far more on the other LACs, your Cpl and how interested your MTO is in developing you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Brize would be a good bet. Plenty going on work wise as well as the things you mentioned in your post.

Quick Reply

Latest