The Student Room Group

Thread for people lacking in self-confidence/social life.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beenibo
Wow there's a post for ppl like me!!! Hello guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

^ Just checked. You're a mother. Are you confident with your parenting skills?
Reply 361
At times I am. A lot of the time you just make up and go with specially when it comes to answering rendom questions. There's no right or wrong way to patent as long as u have the right morels n standards to set for your child so they learn and progress.
But I am not good at being sociable I get nervous n scared to make friends n meet new ppl

Original post by shawn_o1
^ Just checked. You're a mother. Are you confident with your parenting skills?
hey guys
Original post by beenibo
At times I am. A lot of the time you just make up and go with specially when it comes to answering rendom questions. There's no right or wrong way to patent as long as u have the right morels n standards to set for your child so they learn and progress.
But I am not good at being sociable I get nervous n scared to make friends n meet new ppl

if your children are primary school age then it should be easy to make friends with fellow mothers whose kids go to the same school as yours
Reply 364
No I am very busy my kids are still small. My oldest is year 3 n my other two are 2 and 3, they go to nursery while I will be at uni, I also work part time and will be studying full time again. So most my time is spent cleaning and running around picking and dropping them off. So tbh I say hi and bey at the school I just simply don't have the time for chit chat. I know it sounds horrible.:lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IqraHaq
Ah awesome!!!! Uni in Wales? :biggrin:

Yeah thats right. Managed to get up this morning :smile:
Original post by Hachik0
Yeah thats right. Managed to get up this morning :smile:

Ahah well done :lol: Swansea Uni?
Original post by IqraHaq
Ahah well done :lol: Swansea Uni?

No but i did receive an offer from them. :biggrin:

UWTSD
Original post by Hachik0
No but i did receive an offer from them. :biggrin:

UWTSD

Ah okay :h: was just curious hahah!

Whag course you doing? :biggrin:
Original post by IqraHaq
Ah okay :h: was just curious hahah!

Whag course you doing? :biggrin:

Conflict and War. Excited. Mwhaha

Me tired :colondollar:
Original post by Hachik0
Conflict and War. Excited. Mwhaha

Me tired :colondollar:

Oh yeh I rememebr! :biggrin:

and lol Aww! What time do you start today!?
Original post by Crumpet1
No, its just that if you've managed to exchange a few friendly words then it will be that much easier to say hello to that person at the next meal. And if the process is repeated several times, that will turn into several people you feel less anxious about saying hello to/sitting with at meals.

at meals with houesmates like:?

i thought yeh meant lecture hall
Reply 372
Original post by Riku
Well, historically, childhood bullying/rejection for learning disability, and then being a chubby kid. Since lost the weight but still have the fear of rejection.

In the last few years I have been difficult for any counsellors to deal with because I keep rejecting the basic concept of self esteem which would allow me to except myself being e.g. chubby again/not lean. I've developed the belief that self esteem and self acceptance is erroneous and illogical considering that I really believe each person's value is conditional. Self esteem is mostly an illusion created by our egoes. More objectively (although everyone's experience of mortal consciousness is subjective) since we are granted life, our duty in return is to:

1) make the world a better place which can roughly be summed up as:

a) improve ourselves to become the best tool possible for the maintenance and benefit of the state (i.e. our job skills, careers-a;though I disagree with capitalism to an extent this is the easiest compromise we can make under the conditions of the 21st century)

b) improve ourselves to become the best, most useful tool for the benefit of the community (which can include the local population but also more close-knit communities such as friends, family, neighbours etc.; this I guess would be our personality?)

2) Improve ourselves to be the possible donor towards the 'gene pool' as it were for the benefit of the continuation of the human race. This involves the theory of sexual market value (attractiveness) not limited to but including physique/aesthetics, wealth, social proof (social status) etc.

It draws similarities with the popular 'alpha male' hypothesis in evolutionary psychology, especially explaining why men are considered the disposable gender. At times it moves towards fascist eugenics theory (especially the 'gene pool' thing ugh). However that is justified by the evo-psych element.

I really have little choice but to improve myself as to be more useful (whether to romantic/sexual partner, friends/family, employment, community etc.)

It's a cynical replacement to my old religious beliefs in Christianity, where I was saved from my imperfection by virtue of God's unconditional love. Wish I could go back there but I'm too far down the existential ladder now to return without a long hard climb through theology, science and philosophy.

When I had that I still advocated self improvement but I was a bit more forgiving of myself for when I made a mistake, or didn't match up to certain social expectations, or was out of shape. So my confidence, although a little lower than most, was free from any serious crisis.

I'm going to make a thread soon about it. It's a bit of a scary theory to believe in though, I am yet to share it to my family or friends :/

What made you lose your self confidence? :smile:

Hmm interesting...Do send me the link to the thread! :smile:

For me, I think it all went downhill from Junior school, as I started losing friends and was bullied. But makes me think maybe I didn't ever have any confidence in the first place, which is why I became a target anyway (?). Idk.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by A321

For me, I think it all went downhill from Junior school, as I started losing friends and was bullied. But makes me think maybe I didn't ever have any confidence in the first place, which is why I became a target anyway (?). Idk.
it is isnt it.

I think people give Riku a hard time.I can relate for one not gonna lie.

best of luck riku ...the same goes for you kid:biggrin:
Reply 374
Original post by A321

I don't know if the mods will let me haha :redface: edited out the worst part. Trust me it's still crazy though haha

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2880101

I'm sorry to hear about that :hugs: well, we're your friends now! :biggrin:

In fairness to you, very few kids have any confidence beyond bravado in junior school. It's just not enough time to build up an authentic sense of self, and you're mostly still emotionally dependent (and completely financially dependent) on your family etc. :smile: so I wouldn't beat yourself up about that!
Reply 375
Original post by trustmeimlying1
it is isnt it.

I think people give Riku a hard time.I can relate for one not gonna lie.

best of luck riku ...the same goes for you kid:biggrin:

Thanks man :smile:

I mostly bring it upon myself tbf. I've been advised to not be so…open in future lol.

Also in the last year I have moved from discussion of mental health problems etc. to being a borderline misogynist and posted the ENTIRETY of my past relationship's last turbulent 9 months for the general public. Maybe not such a good idea.

Might not be on this forum for much longer anyway :tongue:

Good luck to you too :smile:
Reply 376
I know this is a bit counterproductive but I'm in a Facebook group for old friends from college. I was never super-close to most of them especially the girls, there are a handful I was close to but we have grew apart a bit over the course of uni.

Well they keep inviting each other to the pub (indirectly I'm invited since I'm part of the group). It's not my thing and I need early nights to keep my head on straight, especially of weekdays. However I see my friend who said "can't come tonight, up starting a new job/training course tomorrow at 6" and the response was "mate I'm up at 6 for work, man up". This response is from a girl so it's not just lad culture going on. This makes me feel uncomfortable to hang around them, as I have to forfeit my health to prove my manhood to them, and it tends to have quite severe consequences :/

Also they always go out drinking/to town which I don't find all that fun and I don't drink because well you've seen what I'm like.

What do you think I should do?
^ don't go anywhere near them again
We should all just have one big meetup somewhere & make friends methinks :badger:

Quick Reply

Latest