The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Attention of reading SU

I don't know what you're playing at, but my little sister is off to your Uni next week and apparently she is having to pay out a few hidden charges.

she's been told she has to pay £45 to some group that organises socials and events from her block, this sounds dodgy as hell to me. Maybe this is something that is voluntary but hasn't been communicated that way?

Also she has been told she needs to buy an NUS card ... again she says she was told she HAS to. Okay its only £12, but it sounds like you guys are feeding misinformation to your students or pressuring them into buying things that ARE NOT mandatory to buy.

I would hope another universitys SU would be acting far more responsibly, your role is to protect and aid students not squeeze them for cash the second they arrive at the University.

Maybe this has all been a misunderstanding, but if not, then its not on and you need to address this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
The £45 is a JCR (Junior Common Room) fee which goes towards arranging events by the hall committee for the residents of the hall. It's compulsory and if not paid, it is taken out of your deposit when you leave. Also if she has bought a wrist band deposit, the JCR fee will have to be paid before she can collect it.

NUS cards are NOT mandatory, I don't know where you heard this from. You can buy them during the fresher's fayre but are not obliged to do so. Most students do buy them as it gives you £2 off entry to union nights and will easily be repaid and then some over the course of the year.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Kre
The £45 is a JCR (Junior Common Room) fee which goes towards arranging events by the hall committee for the residents of the hall. It's compulsory and if not paid, it is taken out of your deposit when you leave. Also if she has bought a wrist band deposit, the JCR fee will have to be paid before she can collect it.
The fee is taken out what deposit?
NUS cards are NOT mandatory, I don't know where you heard this from. You can buy them during the fresher's fayre but are not obliged to do so. Most students do buy them as it gives you £2 off entry to union nights and will easily be repaid and then some over the course of the year.

What deposit ?
Reply 3
Original post by zedaa
What deposit ?

Accommodation deposit.
I must say I find it very distastful to charge a new student £45 so that they have the option to attend events, I know if I were attending your university I would be causing your SU a lot of headaches. This charge is exploitative of students that are already paying extortionate rates for halls.

The role of an SU is to support students, the SU is a welfare organisation not a commitee for planning a party.

So if a student is not a habitial shopper and party go'er or planning to travel the length and breadth of the UK ...what benefits does an NUS card have? Like I said it is probably a miscommunication, but it should be addressed.

I find the fact that the RUSU doesn't seemed concerned about this JRC fee quite deplorable, what is your RUSU doing when its not strong arming students into drinking and paying for things they don't need? Disgracful.
This happens at most uni's and most places charge a lot more! It seems alright in the grand scheme of things I suppose
Original post by Craftysloth
This happens at most uni's and most places charge a lot more! It seems alright in the grand scheme of things I suppose

Agree, all my friends going to uni are paying a fee for freshers :smile:
Just because it happens at other Uni's (i have seen nothing to indicate the justification of saying most) doesn't make it acceptable. It's only £45 ...the NUS card is only £12, what does the RUSU or university charge for gym membership or sport team participation? What exactly is this JCR? Why are they entitled to force money from students for a service they may not want?

Original post by Craftysloth

How so? Please elaborate
(edited 9 years ago)
They need money to book events that people take part in both at fresher's and throughout the year (spring formal, Christmas dinner) and they also supply stuff. If you don't pay the fee at the beginning of the year then they take it from your deposit to cover it, and without it they wouldn't be able to book events for the halls and fresher's (especially since the fresher's is organised by the students at Reading). You could possibly get out of paying the fee if you speak to the SU and tell them that you will not be attending any events and are not using the service. As 95% of students attend events they make it an automatic thing otherwise people would attend everything and then not pay towards it leaving them out of pocket. I said it seems alright in the grand scheme of things because it saves them hassling me for money each time they want to do something, and all of my friends paid between £55-£100 for there's so I consider myself lucky that Readings hasn't made there's higher.

With the NUS card, I just use my student card to get discounts at places like clubs, restaurants, clothes shops etc.. I haven't had anyone ask for the NUS before as long as you have something says student on it, although the university itself may be more strict. I'm not going to bother getting one until I find a need.
Original post by bubadeeboop
I don't know what you're playing at, but my little sister is off to your Uni next week and apparently she is having to pay out a few hidden charges.

she's been told she has to pay £45 to some group that organises socials and events from her block, this sounds dodgy as hell to me. Maybe this is something that is voluntary but hasn't been communicated that way?

Also she has been told she needs to buy an NUS card ... again she says she was told she HAS to. Okay its only £12, but it sounds like you guys are feeding misinformation to your students or pressuring them into buying things that ARE NOT mandatory to buy.

I would hope another universitys SU would be acting far more responsibly, your role is to protect and aid students not squeeze them for cash the second they arrive at the University.

Maybe this has all been a misunderstanding, but if not, then its not on and you need to address this.

Hi,
Thanks for flagging this with us. Firstly it definitely is NOT compulsory to pay to join the Junior Common Room for your accommodation block at Reading or to buy an NUS card. Both of these things are recommended but not something you have to do!

However it is concerning that the wording that your sister has seen makes it seem as if this is these case. In what way was this information passed on to her? Was it by phone/email/on the website? If we can track down the source of this we can make sure that the wording isn’t misleading!

Thanks,

Phil
Student Recruitment team
Original post by bubadeeboop
I must say I find it very distastful to charge a new student £45 so that they have the option to attend events, I know if I were attending your university I would be causing your SU a lot of headaches. This charge is exploitative of students that are already paying extortionate rates for halls.

The role of an SU is to support students, the SU is a welfare organisation not a commitee for planning a party.

So if a student is not a habitial shopper and party go'er or planning to travel the length and breadth of the UK ...what benefits does an NUS card have? Like I said it is probably a miscommunication, but it should be addressed.

I find the fact that the RUSU doesn't seemed concerned about this JRC fee quite deplorable, what is your RUSU doing when its not strong arming students into drinking and paying for things they don't need? Disgracful.

You might find it distasteful to charge that much but you're not forced to buy a wristband, you're not forced to attend any events at all. The wristband pays for itself really - if you choose to buy it because you want to attend events and meet people (as every fresher does when they move to university) then they've got the whole week covered. If you want to moan, go on the other universities pages where some of the unions are charging £60 upwards for a wristband.

If you attended the university yourself and was unhappy with the SU then I'd agree you have a right to complain. But you don't even go here. How do you know what else the SU does? They do far more than just 'plan a party'; they provide support for students, campaign for things which will help the students and organise other social events that aren't about drinking.

NUS has plenty of benefits, you don't have to be a habitual shopper to reap the benefits. Are you telling me you or your sister only go into a shop once a year to purchase something? NUS is accepted at hundreds of shops and it helps you save just that little bit extra WHEN you go shopping, whether that be once a day, once a week, once a month.

It sounds like you're complaining for the sake of complaining, especially about the SU.
Original post by Thatstudentdude
You might find it distasteful to charge that much but you're not forced to buy a wristband, you're not forced to attend any events at all. The wristband pays for itself really - if you choose to buy it because you want to attend events and meet people (as every fresher does when they move to university) then they've got the whole week covered. If you want to moan, go on the other universities pages where some of the unions are charging £60 upwards for a wristband.

Never mentioned any wristbands ...:confused: But I agree with what you have said.

If you attended the university yourself and was unhappy with the SU then I'd agree you have a right to complain. But you don't even go here. How do you know what else the SU does? They do far more than just 'plan a party'; they provide support for students, campaign for things which will help the students and organise other social events that aren't about drinking.

Never said they didn't do other things, but just because an organisation does 100 good things, does that allow them to do 1 bad thing? I complain here because it relates to me, it effects my family and as someone involved in my own universitys SU I feel it is very fair to request answers from counterparts at another University's SU.

NUS has plenty of benefits, you don't have to be a habitual shopper to reap the benefits. Are you telling me you or your sister only go into a shop once a year to purchase something? NUS is accepted at hundreds of shops and it helps you save just that little bit extra WHEN you go shopping, whether that be once a day, once a week, once a month.

It sounds like you're complaining for the sake of complaining, especially about the SU.

So because it MIGHT help save some money she should HAVE to buy the NUS card? My complaint was about the misinformation being fed to new students about what the MUST buy, I know this is wrong, hence my complaint, I have also had a response from the University here explaining that it is indeed the wrong informantion and they will look into how this misunderstanding happened.

So issue solved, personally it sounds to me like you're complaining just for the sake of complaining.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending