The Student Room Group

Queen's University Belfast (QUB) Medicine Applicants (A100) for 2015 entry!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blissfully
thanks sounds about right! - do you know if they do it in order? like locals first or highest scores first?

Since all the interviews are basically on 3 days in January they send them all out at once or, over a few days. No order in particular. As long as you are in the top 500 ish you get an interview. Last year everyone with 38 points and everyone with 37 points who also had AAAA at AS got interviewed,
Reply 181
Original post by SAB_01
Hi everyone! Has anyone applied to Queen's who is eligible to be considered for the widening participation scheme? Just out of interest!

Hey! Yes I am unfortunately I only achieved 4A*s 5As at GCSE but AAAA at AS. And I go to a non grammar school, how about you?

Reply 182
Original post by g44

Hey! Yes I am unfortunately I only achieved 4A*s 5As at GCSE but AAAA at AS. And I go to a non grammar school, how about you?

Oh cool! Is Queen's your first choice? I got 7.5A*'s (RE was short course) and 3A's at GCSE and 4A's at AS Level. I go to a non-grammar school as well. How did you do in your UKCAT? :-) do you have any idea how they mark us academically? I mean do you get 36 points for having 4A's at AS level? I've asked at Open Days but nobody seems to know!
Reply 183
Yes I live about an hour away :smile: that's so good! You meet the cut off anyway probably! So Id say your definitely in safe hands :smile: I got a 4 which I was glad I got but I could of done so much better I only did one mock and it was in a book I didn't even do the official online ones :'( so I regret that now haha. How about you? I'm really not sure! To be honest I just sort of thought (hoped) we'd just bypass that bit or not be taken into the same account as those people getting 37/38 and above but god knows! Could be any way of sorting it haha. Where all did you apply?
Original post by SAB_01
Oh cool! Is Queen's your first choice? I got 7.5A*'s (RE was short course) and 3A's at GCSE and 4A's at AS Level. I go to a non-grammar school as well. How did you do in your UKCAT? :-) do you have any idea how they mark us academically? I mean do you get 36 points for having 4A's at AS level? I've asked at Open Days but nobody seems to know!

Hi in terms of how they score you I can answer that :smile:
Invitation to interview is based on your academics, I dont think they use personal statement to score people but they do read it. Most applicants will be scored on their GCSEs as most who apply will be doing A2 and applying on predicted grades. The point scoring system is A*= 4 points A= 3 points B =2 points. They score your top 9 GCSE's but must include English,Maths and Science. So the max you can get = 9x4=36. Then they add on your UKCAT score based on what band/range your score falls into.
http://www.med.qub.ac.uk/docs/AdmissionPolicyMedicine-2015.pdf The UKCAT scoring table is there. The max you can get is 6 points.

They then add your ukcat and academic score together. If you already have acheived grades and have AAAa or higher and MUST have an A in the 4th AS then you automatically get 36/36 for academics.

So basically last year when the ukcat scores were high you needed atleast 38 points (school leavers) OR 37 with AAAA (people doing A2) to get an interview. I'm guessing that due to ukcat scores coming down maybe the cutoff will drop but again I have no idea what the cutoff will be this year.

Hope that was helpful. :smile:
Reply 185
Original post by g44
Yes I live about an hour away :smile: that's so good! You meet the cut off anyway probably! So Id say your definitely in safe hands :smile: I got a 4 which I was glad I got but I could of done so much better I only did one mock and it was in a book I didn't even do the official online ones :'( so I regret that now haha. How about you? I'm really not sure! To be honest I just sort of thought (hoped) we'd just bypass that bit or not be taken into the same account as those people getting 37/38 and above but god knows! Could be any way of sorting it haha. Where all did you apply?

Oh really? Me too! I just really hope I get an offer for interview because so far I have heard nothing from any university! I got 2690 so I think that's 4 points as well - I hated the UKCAT! I've applied to Dundee, Cardiff and East Anglia for medicine and Queen's again for Human Biology..wby?
Reply 186
Original post by futuremedic19
Hi in terms of how they score you I can answer that :smile:
Invitation to interview is based on your academics, I dont think they use personal statement to score people but they do read it. Most applicants will be scored on their GCSEs as most who apply will be doing A2 and applying on predicted grades. The point scoring system is A*= 4 points A= 3 points B =2 points. They score your top 9 GCSE's but must include English,Maths and Science. So the max you can get = 9x4=36. Then they add on your UKCAT score based on what band/range your score falls into.
http://www.med.qub.ac.uk/docs/AdmissionPolicyMedicine-2015.pdf The UKCAT scoring table is there. The max you can get is 6 points.

They then add your ukcat and academic score together. If you already have acheived grades and have AAAa or higher and MUST have an A in the 4th AS then you automatically get 36/36 for academics.

So basically last year when the ukcat scores were high you needed atleast 38 points (school leavers) OR 37 with AAAA (people doing A2) to get an interview. I'm guessing that due to ukcat scores coming down maybe the cutoff will drop but again I have no idea what the cutoff will be this year.

Hope that was helpful. :smile:

Thanks for all that - very kind of you! I qualify for the widening participation scheme however because I go to a non-grammar school. That means they don't mark us on our GCSE's but our AS levels instead and I was wondering how they mark that? I have no idea! thanks again for your help!
Original post by SAB_01
Thanks for all that - very kind of you! I qualify for the widening participation scheme however because I go to a non-grammar school. That means they don't mark us on our GCSE's but our AS levels instead and I was wondering how they mark that? I have no idea! thanks again for your help!

You welcome. Idk what that is sorry as I'm from Wales. Is the widening participation scheme only for Northern Irish students ?
You welcome. Idk what that is sorry as I'm from Wales. Is the widening participation scheme only for Northern Irish students ?

Yep. As far as I am aware they give those candidates 36 then add UKCAT
Original post by russellwallace
Yep. As far as I am aware they give those candidates 36 then add UKCAT

Thanks. Just out of curiosity do most Northern Irish applicants qualify for that scheme as I would presume that most applicants weren't from Grammer schools.
Reply 190
Thanks. Just out of curiosity do most Northern Irish applicants qualify for that scheme as I would presume that most applicants weren't from Grammer schools.

No, the majority of people applying from Northern Ireland will be from Grammar schools so not that many people will qualify for the scheme.. As far as I know anyway!

Northern Ireland has a full blown Grammar School system. The WP scheme is for Pupils coming from the non-grammar sector. As far as I am aware it only applies to a named list of the non grammar schools here.
Northern Ireland has a full blown Grammar School system. The WP scheme is for Pupils coming from the non-grammar sector. As far as I am aware it only applies to a named list of the non grammar schools here.

Thanks !!
Here in Wales most schools are state schools so I found it kinda odd that in NI most people go to grammer schools :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks !!
Here in Wales most schools are state funded so I found it kinda odd that in NI most people go to grammer schools :smile:

Our grammar schools are state funded. We have no fee paying schools like the ones in the rest of the UK
Our grammar schools are state funded. We have no fee paying schools like the ones in the rest of the UK

Yeah sorry I meant most schools here are state schools I.e they will take everyone regardless of ability. There are a few private ones but they charge rediculous fees and scholarships are hard to get.
I guess most med applicants in NI are from grammar schools. In my college we only have a few med applicants from the upper 6th and I'm the only reapplicant. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah sorry I meant most schools here are state schools I.e they will take everyone regardless of ability. There are a few private ones but they charge rediculous fees and scholarships are hard to get.
I guess most med applicants in NI are from grammar schools. In my college we only have a few med applicants from the upper 6th and I'm the only reapplicant. :smile:

Hows your application going?
Original post by Ama2007
Hows your application going?

Yeah it's going fine thanks :smile:
I've applied to Cardiff/QUB/Liverpool and Lancaster for Medicine but haven't heard back yet from anywhere.

What about you ?
Are u a reapplicant/what's your stats and where have u applied ?
:smile:
Does anybody know by when Belfast give out interview invitations?

Goodluck to everybody
Yeah, would love to second on that ^^. Anyone have any idea when interview invitations of out. International Applicant btw, 41 in the IB and average on the UKCAT:frown:. Don't know if i stand a chance though. Just crossing my fingers and hoping to not get a heart attack.
Original post by shyaamb
Yeah, would love to second on that ^^. Anyone have any idea when interview invitations of out. International Applicant btw, 41 in the IB and average on the UKCAT:frown:. Don't know if i stand a chance though. Just crossing my fingers and hoping to not get a heart attack.

Original post by Crazzyyy
Does anybody know by when Belfast give out interview invitations?

Goodluck to everybody

Hi according to last years thread. They had interviews in December and February. So those who had December interviews were sent invites in mid/late November and those with Feb interviews were sent invites in mid/late January.

BUT!! Now they've changed the interview dates to 20,21,22 of Jan and 11th March.

So for the Jan interviews we could hear back anytime between Mid November and early January.

Sorry I know that wasn't much help :frown:
But I will ring up QUB med admissions on Monday and let you guys know when they'll send out invites and how many applicants they've had this year, cause I'm curious aswell :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending