The Student Room Group

Queen's University Belfast (QUB) Medicine Applicants (A100) for 2015 entry!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Does anyone think queens will reject everyone that they are going to reject today or will they reject more people on monday
Original post by russellwallace
It looks like 39 was the cut off this year. The personal statement plays a very minimal role in the Queen's process. Did you have aaaa at AS?

Yeah i have aaaa at AS...
Original post by futuremedic19
First of all I'm really sorry about your rejection. Having been rejected 4x last year I know how disheartening it can be.

It's definitely not your PS as they don't use PS for interview selection, they just read through it and if it's medicine orientated then your fine.

It was probably due to your score /42.
If u don't mind me asking are you a gap year applicant or a current A2 student or are u international ?

Im a current A2 student. I heard last year the cut off was 37 and apparently ukcat was easier least year. I still think its my PS as i know a girl who had 40 one hear and didnt even get an interview.
Apart from the obvious disappointment of the guys on here, it raises a big problem for Queens. Are they really saying that the only people they are going to consider from now on will be 9A* people? That is going to rule out a lot of people who would be excellent doctors. It has put them back to where they were previously when they did not interview and only Academic high flyers were getting in. They will have to look at this carefully.

A cut off of 39 would mean that you could get in with 5A*'s, providing you got into the top UKCAT category and the rest were A's. But either way, a cut off that high is getting ridiculous. You don't need 5A*'s at GCSE to prove that you can be a good doctor.
Reply 384
Original post by michaelh777.mh
Yeah i have aaaa at AS...

That means that 39 is definitely the cut off this year or you would have got an interview. I am now certain I am getting a rejection!
Im a current A2 student. I heard last year the cut off was 37 and apparently ukcat was easier least year. I still think its my PS as i know a girl who had 40 one hear and didnt even get an interview.

Last years cut off was 37 plus those on 36 who had AAAA. I don't know how a candidate with 40 points from 9A* at GCSE + UKCAT would not have got an interview unless she was not predicted AAA or she had no Voluntary or Work experience. Their process is very clear on this. This years cut off appears just to be 39.
Original post by staks
That means that 39 is definitely the cut off this year or you would have got an interview. I am now certain I am getting a rejection!

Yeah but usually if the cutoff is 39 then the cutoff for current A2 students would be 38 with aaaa.
Apart from the obvious disappointment of the guys on here, it raises a big problem for Queens. Are they really saying that the only people they are going to consider from now on will be 9A* people? That is going to rule out a lot of people who would be excellent doctors. It has put them back to where they were previously when they did not interview and only Academic high flyers were getting in. They will have to look at this carefully.

When I went to their open day I think they said if someone's GCSEs aren't good enough they can wait for another year and apply with A level results - where AAA is granted 36 points. Also I think if an applicant didn't go to a grammar school at GCSE then their AS level grades will be used instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _thequeen
A cut off of 39 would mean that you could get in with 5A*'s, providing you got into the top UKCAT category and the rest were A's. But either way, a cut off that high is getting ridiculous. You don't need 5A*'s at GCSE to prove that you can be a good doctor.

5A* 4A at GCSE = 32.
Add 6 from top UKCAT and you get 38.
Reply 389
Yeah but usually if the cutoff is 39 then the cutoff for current A2 students would be 38 with aaaa.

It's not two years ago the cut off was 37. People with 36 aaaa didn't get an interview even if they were current a2 students.
Reply 390
40 points and waiting
Last years cut off was 37 plus those on 36 who had AAAA. I don't know how a candidate with 40 points from 9A* at GCSE + UKCAT would not have got an interview unless she was not predicted AAA or she had no Voluntary or Work experience. Their process is very clear on this. This years cut off appears just to be 39.

I actually only done single award science and one other of my top 9 was a BTEC....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RainbowVeins
When I went to their open day I think they said if someone's GCSEs aren't good enough they can wait for another year and apply with A level results - where AAA is granted 36 points. Also I think if an applicant didn't go to a grammar school at GCSE then their AS level grades will be used instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct
I actually only done single award science and one other of my top 9 was a BTEC....

Posted from TSR Mobile

With respect michael, I would suggest you did not meet the minimum criteria in terms of Science GCSE. Do they not require Doulble award as a minimum?
Original post by staks
It's not two years ago the cut off was 37. People with 36 aaaa didn't get an interview even if they were current a2 students.

Ahhh ok I see. So it's probably 39 for everyone then. Strange cause I thought the cutoff would drop this year since ukcat averages have dropped.
Reply 395

Be careful what you hear! There was a girl rejected with 40 one year but she was on her third consecutive application and QUB only allow 2 applications so that's why she was rejected. You will have been rejected based on your score. You would have had to have said something horrendously bad in your PS that conflicts with the GMCs basic principles of a doctor - which I'm sure you didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
With respect michael, I would suggest you did not meet the minimum criteria in terms of Science GCSE. Do they not require Doulble award as a minimum?

Oh yeah just seen that:sigh:. I knew that though but I took 3 sciences at AS level..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahhh ok I see. So it's probably 39 for everyone then. Strange cause I thought the cutoff would drop this year since ukcat averages have dropped.

Because they don't use anything other than grades and the UKCAT I'd imagine many people applied to QUB as a "safe" option/definite interview etc, and they would have pushed the cutoff up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh yeah just seen that:sigh:. I knew that though but I took 3 sciences at AS level..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, your answer, if you are determined on Queens, is to get AAA at A2,a good UKCAT and reapply. On the other hand didn't you say you have 3 interviews elsewhere? If you get an onffer, take it. All medical schools are good and, is it more important to you to be a doctor or to study at Queens?
Original post by RainbowVeins
Because they don't use anything other than grades and the UKCAT I'd imagine many people applied to QUB as a "safe" option/definite interview etc, and they would have pushed the cutoff up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, I agree. Queens is the most "Self selecting" med school in the UK and has almost, if not actually, the lowest number of applicants per place. Everybody knows what they need. A shed load of GCSEs at A*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending