The Student Room Group

Queen's University Belfast (QUB) Medicine Applicants (A100) for 2015 entry!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSRRST
I understood it that the time on the letter is the time you must arrive at and includes the extra time for registration.

Ok thanks, that does make sense.
Does anyone know how many applied this year?
Original post by faddys123
Does anyone know how many applied this year?

It's always about the same 800 - 900. Queens is always a small applicant pool because it is ver self selecting because of the GCSE and UKCAT points thing. Basically' nobody with less than 7A* at GCSE applies
Original post by russellwallace
It's always about the same 800 - 900. Queens is always a small applicant pool because it is ver self selecting because of the GCSE and UKCAT points thing. Basically' nobody with less than 7A* at GCSE applies

I got an email from QUB a couple of months ago saying that they had 1100 applicants for 2014 entry.
This year they may have had more hence that explains the higher cutoff.
It's always about the same 800 - 900. Queens is always a small applicant pool because it is very self selecting because of the GCSE and UKCAT points thing. Basically' nobody with less than 7A* at GCSE applies

Yeah true it easier to apply after you got your grades as you automatically given 36 points and then add on ukcat points
Original post by futuremedic19
I got an email from QUB a couple of months ago saying that they had 1100 applicants for 2014 entry.
This year they may have had more hence that explains the higher cutoff.

Did it mention how many got interview and got offers?

That's a constant. They interview about 500. Exactly depends on the points cut off and how many got that. They make about 370 offers each year but rank everyone they interview (1 -500+)

Last year person 340ish on the list got a place because people above missed grades or took confirmed offers elsewhere.

Sorry no it didn't. I'm also interested to know what the exact number of interviews was last year and the number of offers (inc from waiting list)
Yeah true it easier to apply after you got your grades as you automatically given 36 points and then add on ukcat points

I meant the pre A" applicants. 7A* + 2A at GCSE = (28 + 6) = 33 points. A 4 or better on Queen's UKCAT scale would give 37 points. That was last year's cut off. No point, really, in applying if you did not get that
I meant the pre A" applicants. 7A* + 2A at GCSE = (28 + 6) = 33 points. A 4 or better on Queen's UKCAT scale would give 37 points. That was last year's cut off. No point, really, in applying if you did not get that

(Sorry if I've already asked u this) Do u know the exact number of people they interviewed last year and the exact number of offers (inc from waiting list)

And do u think due to the higher cutoff this year they will interview fewer people.

(Sorry if I've already asked u this) Do u know the exact number of people they interviewed last year and the exact number of offers (inc from waiting list)

And do u think due to the higher cutoff this year they will interview fewer people.

Not exactly. They aim for 500. Last year everyone with 37 points got an interview. This did not reach 500. So, I believe they interviewed those with 36 who also had aaaa at AS. They make 370 offers +/- a few. People then accepted as firm or insurance or rejected the offer. I think they adjusted a little after the first offers as some people turned down the offer.
In August, once results came in some people accepted a firm elsewhere. Some people got a "B" in Chemistry or whatever. They did not fill all their places from their 370 offers. So, they worked down the ranking with those people they had not offered previously and who had not a place elsewhere. I know that person number 340 ish on the ranking following interview (and who had AAA) got a place.
This means that 70 people or so from the interviews turned Queens down or were using Queens as insurance and got their firm place or failed to get the grades.

The higher cut off means that they reached 500 at a higher points score. So 500 people (approx) had 39 points. It's 500 people that determine the points cut off, not the points cut off that determines how many get interviews.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not exactly. They aim for 500. Last year everyone with 37 points got an interview. This did not reach 500. So, I believe they interviewed those with 36 who also had aaaa at AS. They make 370 offers +/- a few. People then accepted as firm or insurance or rejected the offer. I think they adjusted a little after the first offers as some people turned down the offer.
In August, once results came in some people accepted a firm elsewhere. Some people got a "B" in Chemistry or whatever. They did not fill all their places from their 370 offers. So, they worked down the ranking with those people they had not offered previously and who had not a place elsewhere. I know that person number 340 ish on the ranking following interview (and who had AAA) got a place.
This means that 70 people or so from the interviews turned Queens down or were using Queens as insurance and got their firm place or failed to get the grades.

The higher cut off means that they reached 500 at a higher points score. So 500 people (approx) had 39 points. It's 500 people that determine the points cut off, not the points cut off that determines how many get interviews.

Yeah that would make sense but I checked out the Medicine competition ratios. This link
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Competition_Ratios

And according to this for 2013 entry they had 677 interviews and 421 offers. So why so many that year ?

Also on that email from QUB they said last year 2014 entry they gave out just over 400 offers.
Yeah that would make sense but I checked out the Medicine competition ratios. This link
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Competition_Ratios

And according to this for 2013 entry they had 677 interviews and 421 offers. So why so many that year ?

Also on that email from QUB they said last year 2014 entry they gave out just over 400 offers.

I'm just quoting the head of admissions at a talk I attended in September in Belfast. If 30 or so turned down the offer then the next 30 were made offers to bring it up to 370?
Also, the 262 places includes international places. I suspect the 677 interviewed includes Graduate applicants and international. The 500 number I think refers to A2 applicants. She was talking to a school audience.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm just quoting the head of admissions at a talk I attended in September in Belfast. If 30 or so turned down the offer then the next 30 were made offers to bring it up to 370?

Ahh okay. Don't worry about it. I can't control all that and so I guess I'm just gonna do my best best in the interview and see what happens from there.
Do they change the MMIs every year or not ?
Cheers :smile:
Ahh okay. Don't worry about it. I can't control all that and so I guess I'm just gonna do my best best in the interview and see what happens from there.
Do they change the MMIs every year or not ?
Cheers :smile:

Yes they do but they are always looking at those same non cognitive competencies. Empathy, communication etc etc. Make sure you know your P/S. Reflect on work experience and voluntary work and what you learned from them and about yourself. Think of examples from P/S where you showed leadership, teamwork, empathy. Be yourself, take a deep breath and go for it. Remember to reboot yourself after each station. Do not go over stuff from last station even if you crashed and burned. It's done and over. Move on!

Oh, and best of luck to everyone with interviews at QUB:smile:
Also, the 262 places includes international places. I suspect the 677 interviewed includes Graduate applicants and international. The 500 number I think refers to A2 applicants. She was talking to a school audience.

I had an interview for QUB last year and didn't get an offer. When I asked for information regarding rankings out of the 600 or so interviewed they told me the top 260 or so had received an offer (I cannot remember the exact number but in and around that) and in previous years the number of people receiving an offer in August post-results was less than 10. Don't know if this is any use to you, but the number of offers is definitely significantly lower than 370 because they told me I was ranked 282 and the chances of getting an offer in August was slim as they expected the number of offers being given out in August to continue going down (as the same has happened for the past few years).
Original post by lboyle426
I had an interview for QUB last year and didn't get an offer. When I asked for information regarding rankings out of the 600 or so interviewed they told me the top 260 or so had received an offer (I cannot remember the exact number but in and around that) and in previous years the number of people receiving an offer in August post-results was less than 10. Don't know if this is any use to you, but the number of offers is definitely significantly lower than 370 because they told me I was ranked 282 and the chances of getting an offer in August was slim as they expected the number of offers being given out in August to continue going down (as the same has happened for the past few years).

This is not worth arguing about. If you do well in the interview you will get an offer. If you accept it and get your grades you are in. The number of offers is immaterial to any given person.

I stand by the figures as given in September at a school's talk. The number of offers has to be more than 260 or so as that is basically the total number of places. They make 370 ish offers to allow for people not accepting the offer as firm or insurance, and not getting grades.
This is not worth arguing about. If you do well in the interview you will get an offer. If you accept it and get your grades you are in. The number of offers is immaterial to any given person.

I stand by the figures as given in September at a school's talk. The number of offers has to be more than 260 or so as that is basically the total number of places. They make 370 ish offers to allow for people not accepting the offer as firm or insurance, and not getting grades.

Original post by lboyle426

Yeah I completely agree with russelwallace, just to back up your point I was checking last years thread and someone who was ranked 417 on the waiting list was given an offer in August.
Seriously just forget about all those numbers and just do the best u can.
hey can someone tell me about the course at QUB. how much of a pbl element does it have? I understand the course is integratred but is it mainly lectures? also how is mbbchbao different? is there something different compared to the degree at other UK degrees?
Original post by nikhi123
hey can someone tell me about the course at QUB. how much of a pbl element does it have? I understand the course is integratred but is it mainly lectures? also how is mbbchbao different? is there something different compared to the degree at other UK degrees?

No PBL

Lectures, some tutorials in small groups addressing specific issues (that the nearest thing to PBL) Clinical skills classes, dissection in groups from year 1. A lot of stuff outside lectures is done in small groups. The Student Selected Component SSC, the GP family attachment.

The degree letters are simply a mixture of Bachelor of Medicine (MB) a Bachelor of Surgery (BCh) and a Bachelor of Obstetrics (BaO). Old fashioned way of saying Medicine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending